The Student Room Group

BBC axes the Mash Report

Nish Kumar's 'The Mash Report' has been axed due to pressure from right wing pundits like Andrew Neil.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9354927/BBC-axes-left-wing-satire-Mash-Report-presenter-Nish-Kumar-hits-back.html

40383284-9354927-Nish_Kumar_posted-a-20_1615553367302.jpg

The show has been accused of being too left wing.

This is censorship plain and simple and not at all dissimilar to what goes on in totalitarian regimes like Russia, China, etc.

Scroll to see replies

I never found it that funny. We don't actually know the reason it was cancelled only that it was cancelled.

Don't make **** up to suit your narrative.
Reply 2
I'm not certain that people of the OP's political persuasion have much ground to stand on here. Having spent years telling us we should not watch x or y because of racism or other things and even going as far as enshrining diversity (an incredibly divicive and political concept) its hardly suprising that a Conservative government appointed somebody who might actually believe in balance or free speech to run the BBC and in turn remove a show which has been percieved as heavily political and of one persuasion in a crowded sphere (the BBC has no shortage of left and liberal comedy).

Among the article are just some of the reasons Kumar was an easy target..

Speaking on Graham Norton’s New Year’s Eve special, Kumar described long-time Brexit campaigner Nigel Farage as ‘a sack of meat brought to life by a witch’s curse’.

In 2019 he said 'the architects of Brexit are a cocktail of lying racists and buffoons'.

It's not really censorship to end a show on a channel that you have been employed to run.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Nish Kumar's 'The Mash Report' has been axed due to pressure from right wing pundits like Andrew Neil.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9354927/BBC-axes-left-wing-satire-Mash-Report-presenter-Nish-Kumar-hits-back.html

This is censorship plain and simple and not at all dissimilar to what goes on in totalitarian regimes like Russia, China, etc.

The difference is is that the BBC is a state funded entity. How would you like it if the BBC did a show hosted by Katie Hopkins?

He can say and do whatever he wants on a private channel.

Also the guy is literally not funny.

I disagree with Stewart Lee and Frankie Boyle but they are at least genuinely funny. (Well Boyle hasn't been funny in years...)
(edited 3 years ago)

Agreed. Whether you've a preference and or not to this sort of satire or otherwise this is a prime example of them accusing that of which they themselves are guilty. If Conservatives want to remain consistent on the issue of cancel culture they'd have to equally call this out. You'd Lawrence Fox (Mr I'm Against Cancel Culture himself) celebrating this.

Original post by Rakas21
I'm not certain that people of the OP's political persuasion have much ground to stand on here. Having spent years telling us we should not watch x or y because of racism or other things and even going as far as enshrining diversity (an incredibly divicive and political concept) its hardly suprising that a Conservative government appointed somebody who might actually believe in balance or free speech to run the BBC and in turn remove a show which has been percieved as heavily political and of one persuasion in a crowded sphere (the BBC has no shortage of left and liberal comedy).

Among the article are just some of the reasons Kumar was an easy target..

Speaking on Graham Norton’s New Year’s Eve special, Kumar described long-time Brexit campaigner Nigel Farage as ‘a sack of meat brought to life by a witch’s curse’.

In 2019 he said 'the architects of Brexit are a cocktail of lying racists and buffoons'.

It's not really censorship to end a show on a channel that you have been employed to run.

To be fair he's not wrong about any of those statements. Also when is Nazi Farage speaking to the fish keeping people he said would only benefit and would be a primary point to Brexit's: success?' Thus far for whatever reason he's left them high and dry as their businesses collapse due to UK government putting economic sanctions on our country then wondering why as a third country we can't freely sell off contaminated fish anymore.
(edited 3 years ago)
Why the **** does everyone, from every side, try to censor anything they don't like. If you don't like it don't ****ing watch it.
Original post by Euroliberal
Why the **** does everyone, from every side, try to censor anything they don't like. If you don't like it don't ****ing watch it.

This. Yet Conservative will scream about Cancel Culture and yet try to make excuses for this. It's literally hypocrisy and nothing more
(edited 3 years ago)
I look forward to seeing what they choose to replace the show and will be interested to see where Nish Kumar goes next.

As I've said repeatedly in other threads about shows not being commissioned for further series, it is within the broadcasting organisation's right to make that decision. I believe that right should stay with them, personally.
This is no more censorship than Dr Sesus Enterprises choosing not to publish some books or Piers Morgan quitting.
Reply 9
It was pretty left wing... not in itself a bad thing but the show was rather hackneyed. There have been many funny left leaning political comedies from the BBC.. this was decidedly not one of them. It even made the American talk shows (hardly a bastion of balanced opinion and accurate portrayals) seem good.

As to the comment on Russia/China, i imagine the people there would take exception to this trivilisation though. Comparing the canning of a 3rd rate comedy show to what is endured there. Although, bare in mind, Russia is not even close to what the Chinese do. They censor by the fact that the major tv channels are state owned. Other than that you can print mostly what you want, it just wont get a wide audience unless people go looking for it.
Original post by Kitten in boots
This is no more censorship than Dr Sesus Enterprises choosing not to publish some books or Piers Morgan quitting.

If it was just a network pulling a show, sure, but that's not what's going on here. This comes after Tory politicians called for an end to left wing comedy on the BBC and this is a direct result of that. It's outrageous.
Original post by Starship Trooper
The difference is is that the BBC is a state funded entity. How would you like it if the BBC did a show hosted by Katie Hopkins?

He can say and do whatever he wants on a private channel.

Also the guy is literally not funny.

I disagree with Stewart Lee and Frankie Boyle but they are at least genuinely funny. (Well Boyle hasn't been funny in years...)

I would actually be fine with a Katie Hopkins show on the BBC. That would at least be an honest attempt to field genuine 'right wing comedy'. What I object to is the BBC reflexively dumping shows defined as left wing because the government doesn't like criticism.
I would actually be fine with a Katie Hopkins show on the BBC. That would at least be an honest attempt to field genuine 'right wing comedy'.

What I object to is the BBC reflexively dumping shows defined as left wing because the government doesn't like criticism.

Well the point is, they're not doing that.

But fair enough you're consistent at least. If they did do something like that then at least they would be acting in a more balanced way which they are not doing currently.
I would actually be fine with a Katie Hopkins show on the BBC. That would at least be an honest attempt to field genuine 'right wing comedy'. What I object to is the BBC reflexively dumping shows defined as left wing because the government doesn't like criticism.

Keep in mind on top of this they've tried to silence civil servants, place a state ban on literature critiquing Capitalisms in schools and they're attacking not only educational, but judicial institutions from the position of the culture war. I don't liken this to fascism for no reason. This is a dangerous trend, but whether or not it'd be paranoid slippery slope fallacy on my behalf one thing is certain for me I don't trust them. They even want to extent the Covid protest restriction beyond Covid and Priti Patel is more or less putting together ways on making protests illegal to a even further board extent. This is beginning sings of fascism and yes we all need to take it very seriously. This is a junta that's attempting to weaponise the state against any and all dissent in opposition towards it.
(edited 3 years ago)
But fair enough you're consistent at least. If they did do something like that then at least they would be acting in a more balanced way which they are not doing currently.

This is what is annoying me. The idea of 'balance' should mean across the schedules. They aren't balancing with this move, they are signalling that left wing comedy is no longer something they will tolerate. The original suggestion from the government was that more right wing comedy should be available. That was rubbished by comedians (and lampooned) because of course these things can't be planned and emerge from what people in the comedy circuits and street performers and so on are doing. They've realised that now, so the response is to start shutting left wing comedy down. Satire in particular is nearly always left wing. The establishment, the people with power and money, tend to be right wing. What's going on here is censorship and a sustained establishment attack on the right to be satirical.
This is what is annoying me. The idea of 'balance' should mean across the schedules. They aren't balancing with this move, they are signalling that left wing comedy is no longer something they will tolerate. The original suggestion from the government was that more right wing comedy should be available. That was rubbished by comedians (and lampooned) because of course these things can't be planned and emerge from what people in the comedy circuits and street performers and so on are doing. They've realised that now, so the response is to start shutting left wing comedy down. Satire in particular is nearly always left wing. The establishment, the people with power and money, tend to be right wing. What's going on here is censorship and a sustained establishment attack on the right to be satirical.

Meaning it's essentially become a state broadcaster for the Tory criminals. Scary times. No different to what happened in India under Modi and Hungary with Orban with their countries: 'respective' media channels.
(edited 3 years ago)

The response is to start shutting left wing comedy down. Satire in particular is nearly always left wing. The establishment, the people with power and money, tend to be right wing. What's going on here is censorship and a sustained establishment attack on the right to be satirical.

LMAO no, it's just saying they don't have a right to do it on a TAXPAYER FUNDED broadcaster. They can still do it on every other channel. We both know why they couldn't have a right wing comedy show because it would inevitably offend some special group. The only group you can go after being straight white men of course.

You want to see a attack on the right to be satirical: see the police arresting count dankula for getting his pug to sieg heil as a skit. Not some unfunny left wing hack no longer being paid by the state.
LMAO no, it's just saying they don't have a right to do it on a TAXPAYER FUNDED broadcaster. They can still do it on every other channel. We both know why they couldn't have a right wing comedy show because it would inevitably offend some special group. The only group you can go after being straight white men of course.

You want to see a attack on the right to be satirical: see the police arresting count dankula for getting his pug to sieg heil as a skit. Not some unfunny left wing hack no longer being paid by the state.

Right cause you want to punch downward not upward. The BBC is meant to be a public broadcaster not an arm of the state if it's devolving into that then it's no longer serving its duty other than being a state mouth-piece. Also Count Dankula is a a nut-case. Whilst I don't agree with what happened regarding him teaching his pug doing the Nazi salute this is no excuse to then justify yourself defending Trump and or the culture of MAGA terrorism. Not to mention when he and Sargon were running for UKIP they conveniently managed to hire a bodyguard who happened to be an Anti-Semitic holocaust denier.
(edited 3 years ago)
If it was just a network pulling a show, sure, but that's not what's going on here. This comes after Tory politicians called for an end to left wing comedy on the BBC and this is a direct result of that. It's outrageous.

The decision has been taken by somebody fairly appointed to run the BBC by the government of the day.
Original post by Rakas21
The decision has been taken by somebody fairly appointed to run the BBC by the government of the day.

Who has donated to the 400, 000 pounds to The Tory party in the past and has family relations with Rishi Sunak. This is what's known as a conflict of interest. We've already seen evidence of the BBC trying to play PR for Conservatives and it was everywhere during the 2019 election.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending