The Student Room Group

97% of young women have been sexually harassed in public places

Scroll to see replies

Original post by imlikeahermit
Interesting. So you see a woman you like and speak to her. If you’re hot, it’s fine, if you’re not, it’s sexual harassment.

Apparently this is the consensus. Don’t talk to women you don’t know that’s my advice.

Original post by paul514
The idea that 97% of women have been victims of actual sexual harassment is farcical, you only get crazy numbers like that when you include batshit things like smiling at women.

The statistic isn’t accurate it has been said, but regardless it’s far too high.

Original post by _Wellies_
No one is seriously thinking of banning men from walking on certain sides of the road. It is a figment of your wild imagination.

Seems like it.

Original post by ANM775
If I have to go and cross the road unnecessarily each time i see a woman past 6pm then it's creating inconvenience for me. I saw a guy on newsnight or something claiming he does this at night and was shocked tbh. If he wants to do that then it's up to him but i don't like how there is growing pressure mounting for other men to do this....

I wouldn't be surprised actually if i crossed the road, then crossed back afterwards...and the woman ran up to me to confront me for being sexist or something ..because i'm crossing the road on the basis of her gender and making certain assumptions about her.

..that is the kind of society we live in nowadays 🙄

The guy is capping. Sounds like he’s fishing for brownie points there.

Original post by caravaggio2
There are creepy ********s out there who need calling out on various forms of harassment but I don't think campaigners are helping the cause by setting the bar so low for sexual harassment as to include staring.

I agree.
Original post by Napp
Just on the first bit, something I’ve seen going about a lot recently, is calls for men to cross the road and not walk within a hundred feet of a woman (my interpretation on distance) but it’s truly bizarre the kinds of action some people think should be done. Naturally it comes from the same sorts who think being white, straight, male and not self flagilatonf over these things should be illegal but hey ho.

There is decidedly a problem with sex based violence, although the west is still a paradise compared to Africa and parts of Asia, but the ideas being lobbed around like hand grenades seem like they’re designed to make things worse in my view.
I mean, seriously, who would think banning men walking on certain sides of the road is a good idea?

I don’t know. Maybe we could fix this by letting one side of the road men walk across and the other women walk across?
Need to get this guy in.

Original post by Napp
One thing i am curious about though is what the metrics are that they used? After all, some would start counting, as it were, at being cat called or groped, whilst others would include such non-events as simply being looked at - so called micro aggressions and other nonsense.

They didn't ask "Have you been sexually harassed?", they asked "Have you experienced any of the following?" and then listed the actions from the second chart in my original post. You can see the full breakdown of how many people have experienced which kinds of things.
I strongly agree with your other point - so many people have been saying "We must do something!" without any concrete suggestions other than the old "educate people". I don't see any easy remedy. Maybe we should make it legal for women to carry pepper spray or some other means of self-defense.

p.s. bring back capital punishment.
Original post by imlikeahermit
Interesting. So you see a woman you like and speak to her. If you’re hot, it’s fine, if you’re not, it’s sexual harassment.

This is what I don't get about sexual harassment. If a man just wants to try and pick up a woman that's totally fine, girls do it to men too and none bats an eye to that. It's human nature, and I am probably going to get witch-hunted in this left-majority site but it's true. The double standards get more and more obvious in 21st century.
There is obviously a difference between picking someone up and sexually harassing someone, if the woman clearly doesn't like it and asks you to stop numerous times and you still carry on then you can argue that is sexual harassment. Though just striking up a weird conversation with someone and instantly say it's sexual harassment?? Yeah...that might be a bit of a stretch.
Original post by The RAR
This is what I don't get about sexual harassment. If a man just wants to try and pick up a woman that's totally fine, girls do it to men too and none bats an eye to that. It's human nature, and I am probably going to get witch-hunted in this left-majority site but it's true. The double standards get more and more obvious in 21st century.
There is obviously a difference between picking someone up and sexually harassing someone, if the woman clearly doesn't like it and asks you to stop numerous times and you still carry on then you can argue that is sexual harassment. Though just striking up a weird conversation with someone and instantly say it's sexual harassment?? Yeah...that might be a bit of a stretch.

A left-majority site? Really??
Original post by -Imperator-

TSR is very left based, majority of users fall into the left of the spectrum. Not that there is anything wrong with it
Original post by The RAR

Why have you painted this as a left/right wing issue? I can't think of anyone on the left who thinks that simply trying to pick up someone is harassment.
Original post by SHallowvale
Why have you painted this as a left/right wing issue? I can't think of anyone on the left who thinks that simply trying to pick up someone is harassment.

That's what the poll seems to suggest tbh.
Original post by -Imperator-

They poll it every election - overall the membership lean heavily left.

You wouldn't know it from just the debate section though, its pretty even, if not slightly right-leaning here in my experiance. A lot of left-wing users have left.

---

To the thread in general, I think the time-scale is somewhat important. If you ask people whether they have experiance a range of crimes over their entire life, a lot of people will answer yes, because the chances of something bad happening to you over 20,30,50,70 years etc. is very high. That doesn't mean its happening to people everyday or that it's a huge problem. I think a better aspect to add to the question, would be "And, over the past year have you experienced X/Y". That would give you an idea of how many women experience it over their lives, and how much of a regular occurrence it is.

For example, you have a 1.7% chance of being a victim of violent crime in any given year. That's higher than I expected, but still a pretty low chance. I can't find a great source for lifetime risks for the UK, but one american study put it at 83% chance of being a victim of violent crime over your whole life (bearing in mind this includes basic fights/assult etc).

So if you told me that 83% of people are victims of violent crime.. that's really scary. But by the time you factor the time scale in, and then say well less than 2% are victims in any given year, it seems a lot less dramatic.

Obviously with women the number would be much higher than 2% for any year, but still likely less dramatic than 97%.

The confusing bit with this data though is that you'd expect the number to increase with age. But it doesn't you have young people reporting higher numbers than old people. Which, hints at a problem. Either old people have diferent definitons, or can't remember. Or boys have gotten more into sexual harrassment or something of the like. But it shouldn't be the case, with accurate data, that 18 year olds have experianced more sexual harassment than 40 year olds in their life.
(edited 3 years ago)
Not surprised. Unfortunately to live as a woman in the UK is to live as a person under constant threat of assault, rape amd worse. This is patriarchy.

The replies in this thread are pretty disgusting. How dare some of you decide what is and what isn't sexual assault? Men will never know what it's like to be walking home alone at night and the sudden rush of dread as you see another man approach you from the other end of the street. Is he another rapist/murderer? Yes I know it's not all men, but it is enough men.

We need more men to start standing up for women and to stand up against men who are like this. Men, next time your friend makes a lewd 'joke' or comment about a woman, call them out on it! Make it known that this behaviour is NOT ok! Next time your friend wants to approach a woman at a bar, discourage them and remind them to NOT harass women. Men need to start taking responsibility for theirs and others actions. Stop victim blaming women!
Reply 50
Original post by Azagthoa
Next time your friend wants to approach a woman at a bar, discourage them and remind them to NOT harass women. Men need to start taking responsibility for theirs and others actions. Stop victim blaming women!

are you trollin or are you actually being serious here?
Original post by ANM775
are you trollin or are you actually being serious here?

I am being serious. Every single time I have been out myself or friends have received unwanted attention by men to the point of it ruining our nights out and making us feel uncomfortable and unsafe. Why do we have to put up with this every time? We need to change the culture of nights out in the UK, we are people trying to have a good time and not cattle in a meat market.
Not surprised. Unfortunately to live as a woman in the UK is to live as a person under constant threat of assault, rape amd worse. This is patriarchy.

The replies in this thread are pretty disgusting. How dare some of you decide what is and what isn't sexual assault? Men will never know what it's like to be walking home alone at night and the sudden rush of dread as you see another man approach you from the other end of the street. Is he another rapist/murderer? Yes I know it's not all men, but it is enough men.

We need more men to start standing up for women and to stand up against men who are like this. Men, next time your friend makes a lewd 'joke' or comment about a woman, call them out on it! Make it known that this behaviour is NOT ok! Next time your friend wants to approach a woman at a bar, discourage them and remind them to NOT harass women. Men need to start taking responsibility for theirs and others actions. Stop victim blaming women.

You joking?

If a female makes it clear they don't want to talk, I accept that, but you're saying we can't approach someone?
I am being serious. Every single time I have been out myself or friends have received unwanted attention by men to the point of it ruining our nights out and making us feel uncomfortable and unsafe. Why do we have to put up with this every time? We need to change the culture of nights out in the UK, we are people trying to have a good time and not cattle in a meat market.

I understand your point but I am unsure whether you have phrased this correctly.

If a man approaches you and you tell them you don't want to talk to them, and then they leave you alone, are you saying that that isn't allowed?
Reply 54

I think at places like a bar/pub/club it's just sort of expected to the point it's socially acceptable to approach a girl. Having said that i'm ngl, I have wondered to myself that don't girls get sick of being approached at these places if they are just wanting to have a night out with the girls, or have a bf/husband at home. I mean if you're not out looking for it, it must be annoying to keep getting approached every 10 minutes.....

I do not think the bar situation will change anytime soon as it's a part of culture. plus girls do approach men too sometimes (i've been approached before)

We need more men to start standing up for women and to stand up against men who are like this. Men, next time your friend makes a lewd 'joke' or comment about a woman, call them out on it! Make it known that this behaviour is NOT ok! Next time your friend wants to approach a woman at a bar, discourage them and remind them to NOT harass women. Men need to start taking responsibility for theirs and others actions. Stop victim blaming women!

You’re right men just don’t know it’s wrong to assault, rape and murder women they need to be told this 😂😂😂
Original post by paul514
You’re right men just don’t know it’s wrong to assault, rape and murder women they need to be told this 😂😂😂

That's a minority of men.

I agree that we all need to be reminded of things to help women feel safer / what is / is not acceptable and to call out unacceptable behaviour.

But I'm pretty sure most men know it's wrong to rape or assault women, and posting that it's wrong on social media won't solve the problem as these people are mentally weird and will still do these stupid things unfortunately.
Original post by The RAR
TSR is very left based, majority of users fall into the left of the spectrum. Not that there is anything wrong with it

From what I've seen in comment threads, there are far more right than left.
Original post by Driving_Mad
I understand your point but I am unsure whether you have phrased this correctly.

If a man approaches you and you tell them you don't want to talk to them, and then they leave you alone, are you saying that that isn't allowed?

Original post by ANM775
I think at places like a bar/pub/club it's just sort of expected to the point it's socially acceptable to approach a girl. Having said that i'm ngl, I have wondered to myself that don't girls get sick of being approached at these places if they are just wanting to have a night out with the girls, or have a bf/husband at home. I mean if you're not out looking for it, it must be annoying to keep getting approached every 10 minutes.....

I do not think the bar situation will change anytime soon as it's a part of culture. plus girls do approach men too sometimes (i've been approached before)

I'm glad you both see my point, that is progress. Yes I'm saying it shouldn't be allowed. I'll tell you, every time a woman is approached at a bar it is more than annoyance that she feels, but fear. If I reject this person, will he be violent? Will he attack me? This is what goes through our heads every time this happens. Why should we have to feel terror several times a night when we just want to see our friends? Please bear this in mind. Thank you.
Original post by Driving_Mad
That's a minority of men.

I agree that we all need to be reminded of things to help women feel safer / what is / is not acceptable and to call out unacceptable behaviour.

But I'm pretty sure most men know it's wrong to rape or assault women, and posting that it's wrong on social media won't solve the problem as these people are mentally weird and will still do these stupid things unfortunately.

How can anyone read my post like this 🙄

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending