The Student Room Group

BBC axes the Mash Report

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wanttobreakfree
Right cause you want to punch downward not upward.

The BBC is meant to be a public broadcaster not an arm of the state if it's devolving into that then it's no longer serving its duty other than being a state mouth-piece.

Lol reminds me of this. I'm punching up mate:

Screenshot_2021-02-28-21-26-20-57.jpg
Screenshot_2021-03-13-12-07-28-50.jpg

Agreed and the BBC has long ago failed in that which is why it should be scrapped.
Original post by Starship Trooper

Agreed and the BBC has long ago failed in that which is why it should be scrapped.

Neat strawman, but leftists merely recognise that large corporates entities will pander to diversity cause more customers that's mutually exclusive from the notion that they agree with any of the internal practices and exploitation those companies engage in. Dumb meme is dumb. By punching up I'm referring to context of the administrative state which we all should be vigilant of regardless of our political affiliations. It's not that you should want The BBC fail and more that we shouldn't have a media where the party can choose who gets to be the chairman of the board or directors for it. You're punching down cause you attack vulnerable minorities. Not power structures. Instance the far right is more interested in bullying a trans person into committing suicide over actually attacking say right wingers stealing billions of pounds from the public working class purse for broken tack n' trace systems.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
The decision has been taken by somebody fairly appointed to run the BBC by the government of the day.

You're not seriously defending a guy who paid £400K to take over the BBC and then gives his political buddies what they want as being some kind of legitimate head of the state broadcaster are you? We're in Hungary or Russia now, not the Britain we used to have.
Neat strawman, but leftists merely recognise that large corporates entities will pander to diversity cause more customers that's mutually exclusive from the notion that they agree with any of the internal practices and exploitation those companies engage in. Dumb meme is dumb.

That doesn't change the fact that said giant corporations are on your side not mine. They restrict and censor people on my side not yours.

And that's because you're not a threat to them. Hence you are not challenging the status quo but reinforcing it. Giant corporations know they can cheaply buy off the left by promoting woke agenda and pointing at people on the right
That doesn't change the fact that said giant corporations are on your side not mine. They restrict and censor people on my side not yours.

And that's because you're not a threat to them. Hence you are not challenging the status quo but reinforcing it. Giant corporations know they can cheaply buy off the left by promoting woke agenda and pointing at people on the right

Doesn't change the fact that regardless companies and corporations will do literally anything to further profit incentive. That doesn't mean that people leftward on political spectrum agree with them and it doesn't mean the CEO's of these companies purely outside of a for profit motive agree with our ideals. Henceforth why it's a strawman logical fallacy to attempt suggesting as such. You're so easy to dismantle it's pitiful.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Fullofsurprises
We're in Hungary or Russia now, not the Britain we used to have.

Awesome 👍

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U06jlgpMtQs

Ironically, it is through "woke capital" that most of the influence on big corporates comes. For all its supposed free market credentials, the financial sector is one of the most heavily state-controlled and protected sectors of them all (not just through regulation but also through implicit aid from central banks), and there are plenty of "woke" billionaires with money parked in big funds. Even if many of the low and mid level employees working for them might be right-leaning (certainly in the City, at least according to some polling), the top and controlling layers seem to be more firmly entrenched in the "woke" neoliberal vein, which has fused with cultural marxism. Aside from many corporates hiring the brainwashed for their HR and marketing departments, thereby influencing many of their policies, co-opted big banks and investment funds further control access to capital available to other firms, and they're becoming increasingly vocal in who they will or won't part with their funds to - probably just vocalising what was said behind closed doors in days past.

Can't beat capitalism? Destroy it from within and use a subtler ideological approach for it that can be grafted onto the dominant neoliberal one.
(edited 3 years ago)
Doesn't change the fact that regardless companies and corporations will do literally anything to further profit incentive. That doesn't mean that people leftward on political spectrum agree with them and it doesn't mean the CEO's of these companies purely outside of a for profit motive agree with our ideals. Henceforth why it's a strawman logical fallacy to attempt suggesting as such. You're so easy to dismantle it's pitiful.

You've dismantle d nothing. It's irrelevant they're after money or are doing it for less pure reasons than you they're still the system and are on your side no matter how you try and wriggle out of it
Original post by TCA2b
Ironically, it is through "woke capital" that most of the influence on big corporates comes. For all its supposed free market credentials, the financial sector is one of the most heavily state-controlled and protected sectors of them all (not just through regulation but also through implicit aid from central banks), and there are plenty of "woke" billionaires with money parked in big funds. Even if many of the low and mid level employees working for them might be right-leaning (certainly in the City, at least according to some polling), the top and controlling layers seem to be more firmly entrenched in the "woke" neoliberal vein, which has fused with cultural marxism. Aside from many corporates hiring the brainwashed for their HR and marketing departments, thereby influencing many of their policies, co-opted big banks and investment funds further control access to capital available to other firms, and they're becoming increasingly vocal in who they will or won't part with their funds to - probably just vocalising what was said behind closed doors in days past.

Define: 'woke capital' (I know you Conservative and fascist types don't tend to like the normative meaning of words but please at least try) and let's see if it actually applies to the actual definition of the term: 'woke?' You describe everything as a lazy false-dichotomy esoteric conspiracy theory cause as recently proven via scientific neurological studies brains influenced via Conservative politics have reduced capability in understanding nuance henceforth you try instead to simplify everything to a: 'us vs them' narrative. Lastly Cultural Marxism is a Neo-Nazi conspiracy theory that attempts to infer that artist, academics, intellectualism and entertainers are being controlled by a international George Soros to destroy: 'Western Civlisation' via the acceptance of gender and racial equality or diversity. If you're using this term non-ironically then you're jut a Neo-Nazi and you need to work on actually understanding the nonsense you're buying into in addition to actually learning the things you've zero comprehension of.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Cultural_Marxism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_Marxism_conspiracy_theory
(edited 3 years ago)
You've dismantle d nothing. It's irrelevant they're after money or are doing it for less pure reasons than you they're still the system and are on your side no matter how you try and wriggle out of it

If by your own extent of logic profit is irrelevant to Capitalists then Capitalism itself is irrelevant to Capitalists. I've already intricately explained how they're not on my side and since you're politically illiterate what you've to say on the matter is meaningless.
If by your own extent of logic profit is irrelevant to Capitalists then Capitalism itself is irrelevant to Capitalists. I've already intricately explained how they're not on my side and since you're politically illiterate what you've to say on the matter is meaningless.

That's not what I'm arguing :Profit is not irrelevant to giant corporations.

What is relevant is if they're doing woke policies and cracking down on conservatives which helps your agenda even if they are only doing do for profit*.

*(I'm not convinced of this though. As the saying goes _ go woke go broke!)

What is relevant is if they're doing woke policies and cracking down on conservatives which helps your agenda even if they are only doing do for profit*.

No it's not irrelevant cause the point of Capitalism and a business is to make a profit not a net-loss. In addition here were go again again with buzz-words you want to deny actual meaning of said words of. Let's consult Oxford dictionary on what the term: 'woke' actually means shall we. Furthermore ah yes the absolutely impenetrable right wing logic of if something is catchy and lazy but rhymes then it's correct. A prime example of the recently scientifically proven predictable neurological patterns and primitive nature of the Conservative influenced brain.
(edited 3 years ago)

And the Oxford English Dictionary's latest. Here's how the OED defines it. woke, adjective: Originally: well-informed, up-to-date. Now chiefly: alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice; frequently in stay woke.25 Jun 2017
And the Oxford English Dictionary's latest. Here's how the OED defines it. woke, adjective: Originally: well-informed, up-to-date. Now chiefly: alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice; frequently in stay woke.25 Jun 2017

It could just be my conservative primitive brain not working but how does any of the above detract from my point?
It could just be my conservative primitive brain not working but how does any of the above detract from my point?

I mean whether you like the facts or not Conservative politics recently proven via science does not benefit your brain and reduces your ability to interpret nuance or complex situations as I've aptly demonstrated not only in this thread but several others I've encountered you. Don't view this as a means of me trying to dehumanise you cause I don't believe that either. You can stop being a Conservative and still be who you are you'll just be a better version of yourself. https://www.sciencealert.com/extremist-brains-perform-poorly-at-complex-mental-tasks-experiment-reveals In addition there's plenty wrong with being needlessly against being informed, aware and alert to societal or systemic disclination or injustice. Conservatives would rather instead we stay in the dark and: 'know our place.'Screenshot 2021-03-13 134036.jpg
(edited 3 years ago)
I mean whether you like the facts or not Conservative politics recently proven via science does not benefit your brain and reduces your ability to interpret nuance or complex situations as I've aptly demonstrated not only in this thread but several others I've encountered you. Don't view this as a means of me trying to dehumanise you cause I don't believe that either. You can stop being a Conservative and still be who you are you'll just be a better version of yourself. https://www.sciencealert.com/extremist-brains-perform-poorly-at-complex-mental-tasks-experiment-reveals In addition there's plenty wrong with being needlessly against being informed, aware and alert to societal or systemic disclination or injustice. Conservatives would rather instead we stay in the dark and know our place.

I don't care about what some lab coat says about my brain.

I care about you answering my questions and not dodging and deflecting with rants and whatsboutisms.

I repeat. How does any of the stuff you've posted detract from the obvious point that corporations overwhelmingly favour your policies (egalitarianism, social liberalism) over mine (social conservativism, Christianity).

That doesn't mean your argument is wrong btw. 100 years ago they'd be on my side.
I don't care about what some lab coat says about my brain.

I care about you answering my questions and not dodging and deflecting with rants and whatsboutisms.

I repeat. How does any of the stuff you've posted detract from the obvious point that corporations overwhelmingly favour your policies (egalitarianism, social liberalism) over mine (social conservativism, Christianity).

That doesn't mean your argument is wrong btw. 100 years ago they'd be on my side.

Well of course not cause you value your fictional organised religion over realistic tried n' tested provable scientific discovery. I can't help you there. If you can't prove to me your particular religion even exists then it's not worth maintaining in a secular society long term. Instead it ought to be gradually eroded from society via secular religious education. I've answered all your questions and have effectively dismantled every single claim you've made. It's not hard.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Fullofsurprises
You're not seriously defending a guy who paid £400K to take over the BBC and then gives his political buddies what they want as being some kind of legitimate head of the state broadcaster are you? We're in Hungary or Russia now, not the Britain we used to have.

Come off it. You have a performer spouting his political opinions under the guise of comedy who for a decade or more was not being challenged by BBC management.

Past generations of comedians have recognised that their own political views were not universally held and tipped their hat in their material to reflect that. That was as much true of the likes of Ronnie Corbett as it was of Ben Elton. Where in the Mash Report was there any attempt to satirise or poke fun at his own political positions?
Original post by nulli tertius
Come off it. You have a performer spouting his political opinions under the guise of comedy who for a decade or more was not being challenged by BBC management.

Past generations of comedians have recognised that their own political views were not universally held and tipped their hat in their material to reflect that. That was as much true of the likes of Ronnie Corbett as it was of Ben Elton. Where in the Mash Report was there any attempt to satirise or poke fun at his own political positions?

Yes or you don't know what you're talking about and are a significant hypocrite to boot. I know which one I'd put my money on. Truth is: 'cancel culture' only matters to Conservatives when they're not the ones being canceled only their enemies. Total hypocrisy. In addition everything you say and do influences the external world around and I see no inherent rule that comedy can't be political if anything comedy arisen as an outlet to mock the powers that be attempting to suppress free speech which I thought you people loved? Furthermore; which: 'past comedians' names them and what you agree with in regards to their own politics unless again you want to refrain from looking like a total complete hypocrite? What you're basically saying me likely no progressives on TV and they should be canceled cause progressive bad. You come off it. It's supposed to be a public platform not a Tory mouth-piece!
(edited 3 years ago)
Yes or you don't know what you're talking about and are a significant hypocrite to boot. I know which one I'd put my money on. Truth is: 'cancel culture' only matters to Conservatives when they're the ones being canceled only their enemies. Total hypocrisy. In addition everything you say and do influences the external world around and I see no inherent rule that comedy can't be political if anything comedy arisen as an outlet to mock the powers that be. Furthermore which: 'past comedians' names them and what you agree with in regards to their own politics unless again you want to refrain from looking like a total complete hypocrite? What you're basically saying me likely no progressives on TV and they should be canceled cause progressive bad. You come off it.

What was it Eric Morecambe said:- "All the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending