The Student Room Group

Oxford MPhil Economics 2021 applicants

Hi guys, was just wondering if anyone has received an offer from Oxford for the MPhil in Economics programme. How long did they take to back to you after submitting your application?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Catherine1910
Hi guys, was just wondering if anyone has received an offer from Oxford for the MPhil in Economics programme. How long did they take to back to you after submitting your application?

I'm still waiting to hear back.
Original post by asdkjl213
I'm still waiting to hear back.

When did you apply?
When did you apply?

Couple of days before the January deadline. You?
Hello, I mailed the admission committee a few days back. They are saying that they will announce the results 8-10 weeks after the course deadline. So I am presuming for the Jan deadline, they might start sending the offers by end of the march.
Original post by Kashish Gupta
Hello, I mailed the admission committee a few days back. They are saying that they will announce the results 8-10 weeks after the course deadline. So I am presuming for the Jan deadline, they might start sending the offers by end of the march.

Right. Somebody on GradCafe wrote this yesterday: "I emailed the Oxford econ admissions and they said we should expect to hear back about MPhil decisions from next week. All the best everyone!".
Couple of days before the January deadline. You?

Same here! Have you received any other offers?
Right. Somebody on GradCafe wrote this yesterday: "I emailed the Oxford econ admissions and they said we should expect to hear back about MPhil decisions from next week. All the best everyone!".

Do you have the link to the main Oxford MPhil Economics thread on Gradcafe? Would be super helpful :-)
Do you have the link to the main Oxford MPhil Economics thread on Gradcafe? Would be super helpful :-)

No idea if there is a thread. I literally just entered 'oxford economics' into their search engine.
Yeah, you can see results and a little bit of discussion by just searching :smile: Here's a link though too: https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=Economics+Oxford

They released some MPhil+DPhil offers yesterday, so MPhil results will probably follow shortly
Original post by DodoManiac
Yeah, you can see results and a little bit of discussion by just searching :smile: Here's a link though too: https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=Economics+Oxford

They released some MPhil+DPhil offers yesterday, so MPhil results will probably follow shortly

Awesome! Thanks so much
Awesome! Thanks so much

Just out of curiosity, what are your guys' backgrounds? :smile:
Same here! Have you received any other offers?

Only applied to Oxford and Cambridge - haven't heard anything yet! You?
Awesome! Thanks so much

No problem! :smile:

Just out of curiosity, what are your guys' backgrounds? :smile:

My undergrad was in maths and philosophy, and then I did a graduate diploma in econ. I've been working for about a year and a half. What about you?
Original post by DodoManiac
No problem! :smile:

My undergrad was in maths and philosophy, and then I did a graduate diploma in econ. I've been working for about a year and a half. What about you?

Oh, cool! Decided you wanna work with econ in some capacity?

I am a final year PPE student, focusing mostly on econ, maths, stats :smile:
Oh, cool! Decided you wanna work with econ in some capacity?

I am a final year PPE student, focusing mostly on econ, maths, stats :smile:

I'm hoping to do a PhD, so yes, in quite a large capacity I suppose!

Nice, also at Oxford?
Are you guys aware about the job prospects after MPhil? Actually, I will have to take a loan to fund my education but am genuinely concerned about repaying it. I have heard that job market is in a very bad shape in the UK. Will be great if someone can guide me on the same. Thanks!
Original post by Kashish Gupta
Are you guys aware about the job prospects after MPhil? Actually, I will have to take a loan to fund my education but am genuinely concerned about repaying it. I have heard that job market is in a very bad shape in the UK. Will be great if someone can guide me on the same. Thanks!

Hello, I also applied for this programme and hence checked many previous MPhil students' linkedin profiles. You may have tried to do so, I can see they went to also big name companies. I have no practical experience either, but it should be helpful to check linkedin. Anyway, best luck!
Original post by Jojostudent123
Hello, I also applied for this programme and hence checked many previous MPhil students' linkedin profiles. You may have tried to do so, I can see they went to also big name companies. I have no practical experience either, but it should be helpful to check linkedin. Anyway, best luck!

Yeah, I wouldn't be too worried with an Econ degree from Oxford haha. Also, it's a 2 year degree, so hopefully the economy should be better by 2023
Yeah, I wouldn't be too worried with an Econ degree from Oxford haha. Also, it's a 2 year degree, so hopefully the economy should be better by 2023

Hhhh sure! Hope you won’t feel anxious. Seems the admission office has started to make final decision, finger crossed for us all

Quick Reply

Latest