The Student Room Group

97% of young women have been sexually harassed in public places

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Azagthoa
I'm glad you both see my point, that is progress. Yes I'm saying it shouldn't be allowed. I'll tell you, every time a woman is approached at a bar it is more than annoyance that she feels, but fear. If I reject this person, will he be violent? Will he attack me? This is what goes through our heads every time this happens. Why should we have to feel terror several times a night when we just want to see our friends? Please bear this in mind. Thank you.

So men shouldn’t be able to even approach women in clubs? Glad we sorted that. Might as well call quits on the human race now then.
I'm glad you both see my point, that is progress. Yes I'm saying it shouldn't be allowed. I'll tell you, every time a woman is approached at a bar it is more than annoyance that she feels, but fear. If I reject this person, will he be violent? Will he attack me? This is what goes through our heads every time this happens. Why should we have to feel terror several times a night when we just want to see our friends? Please bear this in mind. Thank you.

If you don't want guys to approach women any more, then you're really gonna need to put in a lot of work to change women's attitudes to dating, given how rarely they approach guys.
Not surprised. Unfortunately to live as a woman in the UK is to live as a person under constant threat of assault, rape amd worse. This is patriarchy.

The replies in this thread are pretty disgusting. How dare some of you decide what is and what isn't sexual assault? Men will never know what it's like to be walking home alone at night and the sudden rush of dread as you see another man approach you from the other end of the street. Is he another rapist/murderer? Yes I know it's not all men, but it is enough men.

We need more men to start standing up for women and to stand up against men who are like this. Men, next time your friend makes a lewd 'joke' or comment about a woman, call them out on it! Make it known that this behaviour is NOT ok! Next time your friend wants to approach a woman at a bar, discourage them and remind them to NOT harass women. Men need to start taking responsibility for theirs and others actions. Stop victim blaming women!

Remind me why do I have to police more than 3 billion people?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ANM775
How is being "stared at" sexual harassment?

I think women are going a bit OTT with what they class as sexual harassment, so no wonder the reported figure is so high..

Oh this brings me back to the 'dignity at work' brief we had at work that also made such a claim. Apparently looking at someone in a "suggestive way" (what the f*ck looking at someone in a "suggestive way" is supposed to mean is beyond me). Oh my, we had a field day with that one. We were making fun of that for weeks.
Has anyone found the survey that reported 97% yet? Every single news outlet is reporting it but I can't find the actual survey results.
I guess the recent trend of working from home will eliminate a lot of these fears. There simply wont be any need in future for women to be out after 6pm anyway, especially once lectures have finished.
Original post by Theloniouss
Has anyone found the survey that reported 97% yet? Every single news outlet is reporting it but I can't find the actual survey results.

The web page belonging to the group that published the study, UN Women UK, makes that claim right above the link to the study.
The page can be found here: https://www.unwomenuk.org/safe-spaces-now
Scroll down to where it says "Only 3% of women aged 18-24 told us they had not experienced any of the behaviours we asked about".
Then scroll down a little further and click where it says "Read the full data in the report by the APPG for UN Women".
You will arrive at the study I originally linked. The study does not mention the figure 97% at all. I've looked at every occurrence of '3' in the study, and the only time '3%' comes up is in the following statistic: "only 3% of reported sexual crimes in the UK have been shown to be false".
This is in addition to the study saying "71% of women of all ages in the UK have experienced some form of sexual harassment in a public space this number rises to 86% among 18-24-year-olds." This directly contradicts the reported figure.
Original post by -Imperator-
If you don't want guys to approach women any more, then you're really gonna need to put in a lot of work to change women's attitudes to dating, given how rarely they approach guys.

This sort of argument from that poster, to which we both still haven’t received replies back from reminds me of the F1 grid girls and the feminists. Feminists wanted them cancelled, F1 grid girls absolutely livid that their job was being cancelled and nothing they could do about it. In the end I believe the feminists won, and as a result many women ended up out of work. It’s the same argument here. One person saying she hates being approached and as a result, banning approaching for all women irrespective of what they think.

Of course one could cast aspersions here quite easily. It was a certain type of woman who managed to cancel the grid girls, and needless to say those women were nowhere near the same level. One could say it was possibly fuelled by jealously more than anything else. This Sarah Everard thing is basically now being hijacked by men haters. Anyone who’s not a halfwit can see that this is not a whole men issue, but if we’re accounting funny looks and staring as sexual harassment I fear there’s no way back.
Original post by imlikeahermit
This sort of argument from that poster, to which we both still haven’t received replies back from reminds me of the F1 grid girls and the feminists. Feminists wanted them cancelled, F1 grid girls absolutely livid that their job was being cancelled and nothing they could do about it. In the end I believe the feminists won, and as a result many women ended up out of work. It’s the same argument here. One person saying she hates being approached and as a result, banning approaching for all women irrespective of what they think.

Of course one could cast aspersions here quite easily. It was a certain type of woman who managed to cancel the grid girls, and needless to say those women were nowhere near the same level. One could say it was possibly fuelled by jealously more than anything else. This Sarah Everard thing is basically now being hijacked by men haters. Anyone who’s not a halfwit can see that this is not a whole men issue, but if we’re accounting funny looks and staring as sexual harassment I fear there’s no way back.

If the grid girls are happy with their job, as they were, they shouldn't have lost their job. There was a similar story about darts and at boxing events banning ring card girls.

Not doubting that staring / funny looks can make people uncomfortable, because of course it can, but sometimes you might think someone is staring at you when they aren't (paranoia), and to call it sexual harassment I feel quite shocking.

World's gone mad if that constitutes sexual harassment.
Original post by imlikeahermit

Indeed. It's actually crazy what sort of power the vocal minority is holding over literally everyone else.

We've even got party peers like Baroness Jones calling for an outright curfew on ALL men! Imagine if someone made the suggestion that all women should have a 6PM curfew for their protection. There'd be no end of outrage, they'd be sacked before the day was out, their political career would no longer exist because of such a ridiculous thing. But apparently it's alright to make similar suggestions if your intended victims have a penis.

The worst part is that what a lot of these idiots don't realise is that it's just going to divide the population on sex equality and push more people towards extreme opinions and make sexism worse for both men and women in the end.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ANM775
How is being "stared at" sexual harassment?

I think women are going a bit OTT with what they class as sexual harassment, so no wonder the reported figure is so high..

Everything is sexual harassment.

1)Looking at women
2) Staring at women
3) Thinking of women and later on articulate your thoughts and desires to them
4) Talking at women and making inappropriate thoughts
5) And of course flirting. Flirting is a serious problem in our society.

There was another thread in which it was argued the proposal to lock up all men after 6pm was reasonable so to reduced the attacks against women. I would say this is one of the most reasonable proposals for a long time now.

Men are always harassing women. We know that and we see it every day. It's time to put a stop in this madness. Starting with flirting is which is unacceptable.
Original post by Djtoodles
Tell me about it.

I mean by the definitions on that list me (a man) was apprently sexually harrased by women. Me and some friends were standing about eating some lunch while on break at uni when a group of girls who i didnt know who i suspect were also from our uni walked past and one slapped me on the bum and said “you have a nice arse” they then giggled as they walked away. I didnt consider it sexual harrasment at the time and just said "thanks" lol but maybe i should have gone for theraphy.

There are many more instances where ive been subject to something else on that list by a women, another example of the top of my head is when some drunk girl tried to kiss me at a party. Again i just put it down to drunk is as drunk does. My point is a lot of that stuff has happened to me and its trivial, its only when i actually think back after seeing a list like that do i realise how much i have been sexually harrased by women lol.

Edit - In fact just for the lols here is(off that list) ive had happen to me, most more than once. Its a wonder i dont have mental problems with all that sexual harrasment ive endured.

Cat called
stated at
followed
unwelcome touching
in person joke
been sent nudes i didnt ask for
had images taken without consent

It's good that you don't have any mental health issues with so much abuse and harassment against you.

Although sexual harassment is usually a one-way system.

Men cannot be sexually harassed by women. Only women can be sexually harassed by men. We have already established that.

If a girl touches your bum is nothing serious. If you touch her bum then she will certainly require some sort of compensation, councelling for her terrible experience, and you will be arrested for sexual harassment.
I think a lot of what girls consider sexual harrassment now is nothing more than "attention from someone I consider unattractive." The kind of interactions that girls are happy to engage in with someone they see as high value. This is a silly and arbitrary metric to judge a persons behaviour.

I wonder if it's the side effect of the Tinder/Instagram generation being so used to being able to advertise themselves far and wide so easily and then neatly segregate all the virtual attention and conversations into only those people they are interested in. It's never been easier to disengage and dehumanise human connection.

In the real world, where men mostly shoulder the burden of rejection, a well-meaning, average looking guy will have to put himself out there and risk asking the question. For todays precious generation though, being approached at a bar, or flirting at work is considered harrassment because you can't left swipe them away with the same ease.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by tomclarky
I think a lot of what girls consider sexual harrassment now is nothing more than "attention from someone I consider unattractive." The kind of interactions that girls are happy to engage in with someone they see as high value. This is a silly and arbitrary metric to judge a persons behaviour.

I wonder if it's the side effect of the Tinder/Instagram generation being so used to being able to advertise themselves far and wide so easily and then neatly segregate all the virtual attention and conversations into only those people they are interested in. It's never been easier to disengage and dehumanise human connection.

In the real world though where men mostly shoulder the burden of rejection, a well-meaning, average looking guy will have to put himself out there and risk asking the question. For todays precious generation though, being approached at a bar, or flirting at work is considered harrassment because you can't left swipe them away with the same ease.

Nail, head. If the guys good looking, it isn’t sexual harassment.

In the real world though where men mostly shoulder the burden of rejection, a well-meaning, average looking guy will have to put himself out there and risk asking the question. For todays precious generation though, being approached at a bar, or flirting at work is considered harrassment because you can't left swipe them away with the same ease.

Probably right. It also takes away from what is genuine harassment/abuse.

In the real world, where men mostly shoulder the burden of rejection, a well-meaning, average looking guy will have to put himself out there and risk asking the question. For todays precious generation though, being approached at a bar, or flirting at work is considered harrassment because you can't left swipe them away with the same ease.

World's gone mad. Well said.
I'd wager that if you were attractive to said women, you'd get away with just about anything that'd otherwise be regarded as sexual harassment, not just looking at them.

One of the best replies I have seen without being sarcastic. Sometimes I have to be given the comments made by other users...

This Instagram Nonsense is really vitriolic for human relationships and engaging with others at a human level. Facebook is competing too and I have heard they have taken over Instagram. I don't have accounts anywhere apart from here.

You made quite some good points here.

Eventhough most things described such as stating, flirting, etc don't qualify as harassment and it's laughable even to suggest that they do.. some young (usually females) think this is the case and everything is elevated in their disturbed and twisted minds.

But the most important point you made is that harassment is a function (as we say in mathematics) of whether the male is attractive or interactive. The same attitude from a male will definitely receive different response from a female who is or not interested in him.

It's truly unbelievable what lack of education together with social media can do to relationships or even simple human interaction.
Original post by TheMcSame
Oh this brings me back to the 'dignity at work' brief we had at work that also made such a claim. Apparently looking at someone in a "suggestive way" (what the f*ck looking at someone in a "suggestive way" is supposed to mean is beyond me). Oh my, we had a field day with that one. We were making fun of that for weeks.

Of course! Why do you stare at women at work? This is sexual harassment according to the new norm.

You shouldn't stare at women, you should look at them whichever ways, you shouldn't talk to them and you should never flirt with them...
Original post by TheMcSame
I'd wager that if you were attractive to said women, you'd get away with just about anything that'd otherwise be regarded as sexual harassment, not just looking at them.

Pretty much us true.

Sexual harassment comes down to whether a woman likes the man who engages in whether behaviour. Let's say flirting for example.

If a man is ugly or **** ugly then he will be in trouble. It's not allowed to flirt if you are f*** ugly. It is very true.

If you are nice and handsome then it's ok you have a free pass.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending