The Student Room Group

BBC axes the Mash Report

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nulli tertius
What was it Eric Morecambe said:- "All the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order"

Or as I like to say non-sequitur logical fallacy and argument from ignorance. As long as you're fine with being a hypocrite. It's okay for the left to cancel you I agree. We're square.
(edited 3 years ago)
Come off it. You have a performer spouting his political opinions under the guise of comedy who for a decade or more was not being challenged by BBC management.

Past generations of comedians have recognised that their own political views were not universally held and tipped their hat in their material to reflect that. That was as much true of the likes of Ronnie Corbett as it was of Ben Elton. Where in the Mash Report was there any attempt to satirise or poke fun at his own political positions?

Surely the point is that a state broadcaster like the BBC should represent and field people from a broad spectrum of opinions in the country. Given how much airtime they've given to comedians like Nigel Farage over the years, it doesn't seem to much to ask that they also permit a show that is blatantly left wing.
Genuinely curious, does anyone legit find this guy funny?

I'm right wing but I'm a big comedy fan and love left wing comics like Peter Cook (rip) and Stewart Lee.
Original post by Starship Trooper
Genuinely curious, does anyone legit find this guy funny?

I'm right wing but I'm a big comedy fan and love left wing comics like Peter Cook (rip) and Stewart Lee.

Everyone has a different idea of what consists as funny and or not; personally yes I prefer Stewart Lee but there's no inherent rule to what is or is not funny. This is a fact. You cannot argue against it. Besides the argument is not over that this is about the right being as predicted total hypocrites when it comes to: 'cancel culture.'
My point is the BBC is subsidising a mediocre talent that not even the left finds funny.

@Fullofsurprises got any rating for the show?
My point is the BBC is subsidising a mediocre talent that not even the left finds funny.

@Fullofsurprises got any rating for the show?

What you and or not consider: 'mediocre' regarding a show that mostly received top ratings by the people who watched it is 100% irrelevant my friend. Once again we've different subjective normative tastes, lilkes and dislikes etc etc. It's not as simple as one person deontologically hating something from gut-feeling then having that be what everyone else ought to think. Same goes for the other way around. If you want to talk mediocre let's have a chinwag about Nigel Farage and how he's completely abandoned the fishing industry after Brexit proved no benefit to them? Personally I don't find him funny nor entertaining; fact I view him as a traitor to the voters he swindled in bad faith.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Surely the point is that a state broadcaster like the BBC should represent and field people from a broad spectrum of opinions in the country. Given how much airtime they've given to comedians like Nigel Farage over the years, it doesn't seem to much to ask that they also permit a show that is blatantly left wing.
Platforms and framing. Mr Garage might seem hilarious to you but his platform is via non-comedic news-related broadcasting like news interviews and Question Time.

You may see Nish Kumar occasionally on QT, but The Mash Report is deliberately framed as "political comedy". When I think of other examples of that genre I see two long-running panel shows which have a solid history of welcoming comedians with left wing views but equally are able to provide a critique of the left when appropriate. I don't recall the Mash Report doing that. I think you can see the difference between HIGNY and MTW, compared with Mash Report and understand why one has been discontinued and the others have been going for 15/30 years respectively.

That's not me saying I don't believe the Mash Report could have stayed at the beeb. It could. But something would have needed to change in my view for the BBC to have achieved greater balance in the political comedy genre.
It doesn't matter if MASH got five star reviews from its audience if only 200 people watched it
Original post by 04MR17
Platforms and framing. Mr Garage might seem hilarious to you but his platform is via non-comedic news-related broadcasting like news interviews and Question Time.

You may see Nish Kumar occasionally on QT, but The Mash Report is deliberately framed as "political comedy". When I think of other examples of that genre I see two long-running panel shows which have a solid history of welcoming comedians with left wing views but equally are able to provide a critique of the left when appropriate. I don't recall the Mash Report doing that. I think you can see the difference between HIGNY and MTW, compared with Mash Report and understand why one has been discontinued and the others have been going for 15/30 years respectively.

That's not me saying I don't believe the Mash Report could have stayed at the beeb. It could. But something would have needed to change in my view for the BBC to have achieved greater balance in the political comedy genre.

I think this is a perfectly valid balanced point here although I think we should watch future potential developments cautiously. If they begin firing anyone more for simply even remotely criticising the government a tad then we should be worried.
(edited 3 years ago)
It doesn't matter if MASH got five star reviews from its audience if only 200 people watched it

Where's the statistics that it was only watched by 200 or are you yet again appealing to hyperbole cause you cannot actually come up with some decent points of contention?
It's not hyperbole to out the flaw in your logic.
It's not hyperbole to out the flaw in your logic.

I'm not the one pulling numbers out of their arse.
Original post by Wanttobreakfree
I think this is a perfectly valid point here although I think we should watch the developments cautiously. If they begin firing anyone even remotely criticising the government a tad then we should be worried.
Agreed. And I think the BBC should consider where the talent on the Mash Report could be repositioned within its comedy portfolio. I think the BBC could have continued with Mash Report if either:
- It was "toned down" on the anti-go rhethoric
- It included more criticism of the opposition
- Another show was brought in which served criticism at the left.

I couldn't see the final option working and I'm unsure that the production company behind the mash report would have agreed to either of the first two. Leaving the results inevitable.
Original post by 04MR17
Agreed. And I think the BBC should consider where the talent on the Mash Report could be repositioned within its comedy portfolio. I think the BBC could have continued with Mash Report if either:

I couldn't see the final option working and I'm unsure that the production company behind the mash report would have agreed to either of the first two. Leaving the results inevitable.

We also need centrists that'll call out other centrists for doing little other than capitulating to the government and hoping taking voters for granted by refusing to name policy will win then an election. Other than that as a leftist myself this is a reasonable compromise.
Original post by 04MR17

Or just privatise it and let them do whatever dumb show they want
It would be helpful if we made clear when statistics are used whether they are intended to be accurate or whether they are intended to be purely figurative. :yes:
Or just privatise it and let them do whatever dumb show they want

Then who's going to hold the Tories to account? If private entities mostly vote in favour of tax cuts for themselves and the further securement of tax-havens in addition to deregulation of standards both worker as well as environmental then who would hold them account if said media's owners align with the interest of the state? Already have Tories paying for sponsored ads in papers. They control a large part of media and press already.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Wanttobreakfree
Then who's going to hold the Tories to account? If they're voting in favour of tax cuts for themselves and the further securement of tax-havens in addition to deregulation of standards both worker as well as environmental then who would hold them account if said media's owners align with the interest of the state?

The job of a comedy show is not to hold anyone to account. That is the job of the Today Programme, The job of a comedy show is to make fun of them.
Original post by 04MR17
It would be helpful if we made clear when statistics are used whether they are intended to be accurate or whether they are intended to be purely figurative. :yes:

I thought it would have been obviously not s statistic lol.

I looked it up apparently its latest series got over s million views* so fair enough

*(Not accounting for taste clearly)
The job of a comedy show is not to hold anyone to account. That is the job of the Today Programme, The job of a comedy show is to make fun of them.

No the utility of comedy is to evoke laugher from an audience via wit regarding every day life and political current affairs to subvert expectations of a society through humor. Your definition of comedy is way off.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending