The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Parking at University of Newcastle

Hi, Im considering firming Newcastle for Sept 2021 but Im curious about parking. I am looking to have the flexibility of coming and going home as I like and driving is much faster than public transport so I was wondering what parking is like? I was looking more specifically at The View or Park View but if anyone could help that would be great. Would it be worth looking at parking lots external to the uni? How much does this generally cost yearly? What about road parking?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, Im considering firming Newcastle for Sept 2021 but Im curious about parking. I am looking to have the flexibility of coming and going home as I like and driving is much faster than public transport so I was wondering what parking is like? I was looking more specifically at The View or Park View but if anyone could help that would be great. Would it be worth looking at parking lots external to the uni? How much does this generally cost yearly? What about road parking?

Parking on campus is permit only and students are rarely allowed them- usually only people with disabilities. The nearest car parks are pretty expensive and all the streets around the uni buildings tend to be permit holder parking or short term parking.
If you live in Park View, Marris House or The View you can walk to all the university buildings and a car would not be necessary. The bus services and metro system are extremely efficient and you can get around the city and out to the coast with ease.
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Debs25
Parking on campus is permit only and students are rarely allowed them- usually only people with disabilities. The nearest car parks are pretty expensive and all the streets around the uni buildings tend to be permit holder parking or short term parking.
If you live in Park View, Marris House or The View you can walk to all the university buildings and a car would not be necessary. The bus services and metro system are extremely efficient and you can get around the city and out to the coast with ease.

Thank you for the information. I have links to home and want to be able to get home when I want to and this is rather difficult by train so I am set on driving to uni. I would only be using my car for travel between home and uni. Do you know how expensive external car parking is because I can't seem to find it online ?
Reply 3
https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/services/parking-and-permits/car-parks-and-street-parking

Hope that link works. It will show location and charges for all car park in Newcastle. When my daughter was a student in Marris House, we used to park in Claremont Rd car park. It really will be expensive to park your car if in student accommodation as it's all in central Newcastle and most street parking is permit only. You'll probably move into private housing for second year onwards and be able to park in the local streets as most houses are just outside the city centre.
Reply 4
Thank you for the information. I have links to home and want to be able to get home when I want to and this is rather difficult by train so I am set on driving to uni. I would only be using my car for travel between home and uni. Do you know how expensive external car parking is because I can't seem to find it online ?

Would it be more cost effective, at least for the first year, to have membership of a car club instead? The cars are dotted around on the streets. You can book them using an app or the website then walk up to the car and drive off. There are usually a few on special offer which you can book out on a day rate.
Reply 5
Original post by Debs25
https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/services/parking-and-permits/car-parks-and-street-parking

Hope that link works. It will show location and charges for all car park in Newcastle. When my daughter was a student in Marris House, we used to park in Claremont Rd car park. It really will be expensive to park your car if in student accommodation as it's all in central Newcastle and most street parking is permit only. You'll probably move into private housing for second year onwards and be able to park in the local streets as most houses are just outside the city centre.

The link works great I just can't find prices on it or the names of the car parks on the map. Just me being stupid probably
Reply 6
Im looking to travel home to the Lake District from Newcastle in my car so this wouldn't work im afraid.

Original post by Kerzen
Would it be more cost effective, at least for the first year, to have membership of a car club instead? The cars are dotted around on the streets. You can book them using an app or the website then walk up to the car and drive off. There are usually a few on special offer which you can book out on a day rate.
Reply 7
Im looking to travel home to the Lake District from Newcastle in my car so this wouldn't work im afraid.

It would work, it's something I've done in London.

Am I right in understanding that you just want a car to go home in for the weekend in a couple of times a term?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending