Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Name:  IMG_0925 2.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  33.0 KB

Hi, for this question, I got as far as:
-butylamine (isomer A in a straight chain) reacts with nitrous acid to give effervescence
-at 5C a primary aromatic amine reacts with nitrous acid to give a diazonium compound
-this can react with a phenol in alkaline solution to give an orange dye

Im not sure what happens at 20C or what happens with aliphatic amines. Could someone help?
Davies Chemistry
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by d r e a m y)
Name:  IMG_0925 2.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  33.0 KB

Hi, for this question, I got as far as:
-butylamine (isomer A in a straight chain) reacts with nitrous acid to give effervescence
-at 5C a primary aromatic amine reacts with nitrous acid to give a diazonium compound
-this can react with a phenol in alkaline solution to give an orange dye

Im not sure what happens at 20C or what happens with aliphatic amines. Could someone help?
The diazonium ion (R-N2+) is very unstable and will react with water in the HNO2 solution to give the alcohol (or phenol if R is a benzene ring)

The benzene diazonium ion is a lot more stable than the aliphatic diazonium ion (e.g CH3CH2CH2CH2N2+) because the positive charge can be delocalised over the benzene ring. This means the benzene diazonium ion in solution is stable as long as the temp remains around 5 oC. If the temp rises as high as 200C it will react with water to give N2 gas and phenol.

The aliphatic diazonium ion will react with H2O to give the alcohol and N2 even at 5 oC

See attachment
Attached files
d r e a m y
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Davies Chemistry)
The diazonium ion (R-N2+) is very unstable and will react with water in the HNO2 solution to give the alcohol (or phenol if R is a benzene ring)

The benzene diazonium ion is a lot more stable than the aliphatic diazonium ion (e.g CH3CH2CH2CH2N2+) because the positive charge can be delocalised over the benzene ring. This means the benzene diazonium ion in solution is stable as long as the temp remains around 5 oC. If the temp rises as high as 200C it will react with water to give N2 gas and phenol.

The aliphatic diazonium ion will react with H2O to give the alcohol and N2 even at 5 oC

See attachment
Thank you!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (42)
37.17%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (9)
7.96%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.42%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
25.66%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (18)
15.93%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed