The Student Room Group

Civil Service Direct Appointment Scheme 2021

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by louderthanlove
I’m sure someone has asked this on the fast stream thread before but I can’t seem to find it - I’m also looking at other civil service roles in the meantime in case this doesn’t work out. By some luck if I got a role, does anyone know what the turn around time is from the application deadline to the start date? None of them seem to have start dates and I’m on a fixed contract job until 31/08

So start date for the Civil service is a bit like 'how long is a piece of string' lol, it really depends! For example, sister applied for a job in November, got offered a job for AO role in the Ministry of Justice in December, took a month for baseline security check into January, then a month for pre-appointment checks into February, and this month got a start date for April. While one of my closest friends applied in January, got job offer for EO role in Office for National Statistics in January, passed baseline security and pre-appointment checks in February, and just got her start date today to start next week. So hopefully as my recent examples show, it is really down to the individual job! On the plus side, is that most places are flexible about a start date. I'd advise starting to look for jobs now, as you can always ask for your start date to be later, if you end up getting a job earlier than expected.
(edited 3 years ago)
I applied for a Work Coach role with the DWP it took about three months from applying to start. Pre-employment checks took about a month. If the role requires security clearance then the checks will take much longer.
Original post by Rinkas
So start date for the Civil service is a bit like 'how long is a piece of string' lol, it really depends! For example, sister applied for a job in November, got offered a job for AO role in the Ministry of Justice in December, took a month for baseline security check into January, then a month for pre-appointment checks into February, and this month got a start date for April. While one of my closest friends applied in January, got job offer for EO role in Office for National Statistics in January, passed baseline security and pre-appointment checks in February, and just got her start date today to start next week. So hopefully as my recent examples show, it is really down to the individual job! One the plus side, is that most places are flexible about a start date. I'd advise starting to look for jobs now, as you can always ask for your start date to be later, if you end up getting a job earlier than expected.

Original post by Devondumpling
I applied for a Work Coach role with the DWP it took about three months from applying to start. Pre-employment checks took about a month. If the role requires security clearance then the checks will take much longer.

Thank you! I think some of the roles I was looking at require vetting so hopefully they’d take up until the end of my contract!
Hey guys, found out I failed the PD FSB today, but was informed in the email that I may be offered a HEO DAS role. Here's hoping we all get a place!
Hi all!

I failed the FSAC for HR but unlike some of the people who I've seen have failed schemes at FSB, they didn't say anything about the DAS in my feedback although did invite me to apply next year and for current open roles in the CS. However, I did get 10.49 in the FSAC so based on previous years I am hoping to get interest via the DAS. Do you think that because they didn't specifically mention it that I won't be in the running for DAS?

Sorry...sounds a bit like gibberish but the whole process was super stressful hahaha so brain slightly scrambled!
Reply 45
Original post by Hrfsachope21
Hi all!

I failed the FSAC for HR but unlike some of the people who I've seen have failed schemes at FSB, they didn't say anything about the DAS in my feedback although did invite me to apply next year and for current open roles in the CS. However, I did get 10.49 in the FSAC so based on previous years I am hoping to get interest via the DAS. Do you think that because they didn't specifically mention it that I won't be in the running for DAS?

Sorry...sounds a bit like gibberish but the whole process was super stressful hahaha so brain slightly scrambled!

The majority of people who got DAS roles last year did not pass FSAC also and had lower AC scores that yours - so I wouldn't worry :smile: People who get told in their FSB feedback specifically about DAS seem to be the minority!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 46
Hi all!

I had my PD FSB last week, but found out the following day that unfortunately I was unsuccessful. I am however still yet to receive any feedback following this when I thought I had been told that whether successful or not I would receive feedback. Can anyone advise as to whether this delay between being told if successful or not and then receiving feedback is commonplace? I got 10.26 in my FSAC and am hoping this is enough to be offered a role through DAS, would just love to know what areas I need to work on and improve. Thank you in advance for any comments or advice.
Reply 47
Original post by Tom4567
Hi all!

I had my PD FSB last week, but found out the following day that unfortunately I was unsuccessful. I am however still yet to receive any feedback following this when I thought I had been told that whether successful or not I would receive feedback. Can anyone advise as to whether this delay between being told if successful or not and then receiving feedback is commonplace? I got 10.26 in my FSAC and am hoping this is enough to be offered a role through DAS, would just love to know what areas I need to work on and improve. Thank you in advance for any comments or advice.

I would email the email address in your FSB guide and ask them directly about your feedback? They might just tell you to wait but at least it'll give you some peace of mind that it's on the way
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Tom4567
Hi all!

Hey, I’m not sure about PD but I emailed asking for feedback and was told for Commercial that they’re aiming to send us feedback within 20 working days of receiving the outcome.
Reply 49
Hi all, I just re-read my feedback from the Project Delivery FSB and they said that any HEO direct appointment to a Project Delivery role will be in order of merit based on your FSB score. I think this is only the case for Project Delivery.

Does anyone know if I am not offered a role based on this score, whether I would then be offered a general DAS appointment based on my FSAC score?
Just been reading back through last years DAS thread. It looks like the first people to receive DAS EO EOI had a deadline of 1st May last year to return them by. I’m guessing that the would have received this mid April to give them two weeks to complete and return. I’m guessing if the timescale is the same this year then the first batch of EO EOI’s may come out the with HEO EOIs to follow on later.
Hi Guys!

I was offered a HEO role from the DAS Last year, but I thought id share my experience (with some specifics redacted) so that you know what the scheme is actually like and what you’re in for.

I failed the AC for last year with a score of 10.28, which going from previous DAS I knew would put me in the running for a HEO role. I found out I failed in February, but didn’t receive the EOI until July, which was for a HEO role.

I completed the EOI and sent it back, it then wasn’t until October that I found out I had been allocated to a department. I was meant to receive a phone call from the department on a certain date but never did. I was led along for months that the role was still available only to be told in January that the role had been removed and I was to go back into the candidate pool.

I was then contacted by a department with a role that wasn’t right for me. Luckily I impressed in the conversation and my details were passed to another department, which offered me an amazing role outside of the DAS.

I consider myself very lucky to get the job I have, but the DAS is full of stories that don’t end as well as mine. The process can take months and should not be considered your 1st option. I’ll be putting some general points about the DAS in my next post
1. The DAS goes from the top and bottom simultaneously. HEO and EO are two different recruitment streams, so EO start at the bottom and HEO start from the top and send EOI’s until they meet in the middle. This is why people with lose AC scores may get a form before you. Do not panic.

2. The DAS only allocate you a department, it is then the departments responsibility to get in contact with you.

3. Departments do not receive your AC score, so they are only aware of the details on your EOI Form. You are not matched to roles in order of score on your EOI.

4. The DAS do not seem to recruit based on experience. I have project management experience and neither of my allocated roles were for project jobs. I saw posts on the forum about people getting project jobs with no experience. My favourite one was that someone was complaining about the lack of experience they had for a Fisheries policy role, and someone replied saying they hadn’t been matched yet despite having a degree in marine biology.

5. Some people’s processes may be faster than yours. The speed at which you are hired is completely down to the department. Most are generally slow so don’t get disheartened if other people are being hired faster than you.

If anyone has any questions about the scheme I’d be more than happy to answer
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by Inside Worker
1. The DAS goes from the top and bottom simultaneously. HEO and EO are two different recruitment streams, so EO start at the bottom and HEO start from the top and send EOI’s until they meet in the middle. This is why people with lose AC scores may get a form before you. Do not panic.

2. The DAS only allocate you a department, it is then the departments responsibility to get in contact with you.

3. Departments do not receive your AC score, so they are only aware of the details on your EOI Form. You are not matched to roles in order of score on your EOI.

4. The DAS do not seem to recruit based on experience. I have project management experience and neither of my allocated roles were for project jobs. I saw posts on the forum about people getting project jobs with no experience. My favourite one was that someone was complaining about the lack of experience they had for a Fisheries policy role, and someone replied saying they hadn’t been matched yet despite having a degree in marine biology.

5. Some people’s processes may be faster than yours. The speed at which you are hired is completely down to the department. Most are generally slow so don’t get disheartened if other people are being hired faster than you.

Thank you so much for sharing! Do you know if roles are allocated based on the original stream you applied for? i.e. if you applied for a S&E stream and failed at FSB - would they try and match you with a science based department? or does it depend?
Original post by Rid123
Thank you so much for sharing! Do you know if roles are allocated based on the original stream you applied for? i.e. if you applied for a S&E stream and failed at FSB - would they try and match you with a science based department? or does it depend?

I think for the STEM based ones they do, think it’s a different EOI. Otherwise it’s just a generalist EOI form for other streams, like digital or PD

Are you able to let us know what region you are in? Are DAS roles London based only. I’m in the SW so I know there will be a lot less CS roles but I’ve got my fingers crossed I may still get something through DAS. Do you think there will be more flexibility regarding location and home working post pandemic?
Original post by Devondumpling
Are you able to let us know what region you are in? Are DAS roles London based only. I’m in the SW so I know there will be a lot less CS roles but I’ve got my fingers crossed I may still get something through DAS. Do you think there will be more flexibility regarding location and home working post pandemic?

I’m in the London region, but they don’t assign that based on preference either. So while I hadn’t been allocated a role but had returned my EOI, someone else who was sent forms in the same timeframe was offered a job in London, despite only putting the Northwest down.

Most of the roles are in London, but they mention it in the form. They do recruit some roles outside but if you don’t enter London you may be limiting yourself. There is however definitely more flexibility because of the Homeworking situation though, I know some of the roles being recruited for at end were National roles
Reply 57
I think for the STEM based ones they do, think it’s a different EOI. Otherwise it’s just a generalist EOI form for other streams, like digital or PD

Ahh I see, cheers! Would you say that most people who get an EOI, will get an offer eventually? Even if it takes a few months like it did for yourself? I know a few people will most likely miss out, but would you say the vast majority get roles in the end?
Reply 58

Thank you for sharing this, that's an amazing piece of intelligence.

Contrary to most people here, I got a relatively low score at the FSAC (literally ****ed up my group test 🥲) and I'd like to know how they defined the lower score threshold. When you say that EO recruitment stream is starting by the bottom, what's the bottom?

I read that any score from 8 and above is considered and can theoretically receive an EOI (which is my case - I scored 8.66), but what's the reality?

And finally, I did the FSAC for the Stats Research stream (but also applied for generalist schemes), is that a different recruitment stream too? Can I ever end up on the generalist DAS?
Original post by Cantos
I read that any score from 8 and above is considered and can theoretically receive an EOI (which is my case - I scored 8.66), but what's the reality?

You're just below last years lowest known EO DAS. Based on the scores this year for schemes and cut off being increased by some margin in instances, I wouldn't place all your eggs in the DAS basket.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending