The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Slade undergraduate 2021 applicants

Hi! I just wanted to make a post for any UCL Slade applicants this year and see how everyone's application is going?

So far I haven't received anything beyond giving my portfolio in but I heard someone got an interview invite on the 1st of March.

Hows everyone else

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nxddlx
Hi! I just wanted to make a post for any UCL Slade applicants this year and see how everyone's application is going?

So far I haven't received anything beyond giving my portfolio in but I heard someone got an interview invite on the 1st of March.

Hows everyone else

I haven’t heard anything back either.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
I heard back a few days ago with an interview
Reply 3
i just got rejected lol, idk i kinda expected it as I have not done a foundation year so fair. They did say it was because of my portfolio ah alas next time.

I'm probably just gonna reapply next year haha

good luck for everyone!
Got an interview tomorrow and am shutting my self
Original post by Scrambled
Got an interview tomorrow and am shutting my self

Good luck!!! will you let us know how it goes, and what the presentation is like? are the asking you questions during it or do they just let speak?
Original post by ownphysics
Good luck!!! will you let us know how it goes, and what the presentation is like? are the asking you questions during it or do they just let speak?

How did it go?
Original post by slamlordt
I did the interview; the reps seemed pretty cool, they essentially just listened to your presentation in silence and took notes. question and conversation after the commencement of the 5-10 minute presentation of the portfolio. They made a short comment on the work. then they ask 3 questions: why you applied to the Slade, what your process is before starting a new piece of art, and in my case I never got the third question because they kinda forgot to ask amidst conversation. but they are probably amicable to everyone, so I have no idea how to gauge if I did well or not.

thank you this is really helpful! did they allowed you to speak for the full ten minutes, how long did they allow you for each for your answers?
Reply 8
they allowed you to speak- i think they would cut you off if your answers were becoming too long!
thank you this is really helpful! did they allowed you to speak for the full ten minutes, how long did they allow you for each for your answers?

So basically they let me speak without interruption and took notes throughout the portfolio presentation! :smile: at least in my case at least, but I'm sure its slightly different for everyone. and once I finished they asked those questions, and then asked if I had any questions. I had technical difficulties so I couldn't see their facial reactions throughout the presentation but you'll probably be able to gauge their reaction throughout it if your Microsoft teams is functioning normally, as mine was not. I strongly recommend you prepare a couple questions for the tutors because it shows you're interested in the course. I would also maybe recommend you add any new work you have in your portfolio presentation if you think its any good/fits thematically, although I believe you're only *required* to go over pieces you showed in the initial portfolio. Wishing you good luck!!!
So basically they let me speak without interruption and took notes throughout the portfolio presentation! :smile: at least in my case at least, but I'm sure its slightly different for everyone. and once I finished they asked those questions, and then asked if I had any questions. I had technical difficulties so I couldn't see their facial reactions throughout the presentation but you'll probably be able to gauge their reaction throughout it if your Microsoft teams is functioning normally, as mine was not. I strongly recommend you prepare a couple questions for the tutors because it shows you're interested in the course. I would also maybe recommend you add any new work you have in your portfolio presentation if you think its any good/fits thematically, although I believe you're only *required* to go over pieces you showed in the initial portfolio. Wishing you good luck!!!

I just did mine, they seemed pretty cold, they asked the set questions but didn't ask any other things about the work and their reactions seemed very flat and uninterested after i asked my questions they just said bye, did you have a similar experience?
I just did mine, they seemed pretty cold, they asked the set questions but didn't ask any other things about the work and their reactions seemed very flat and uninterested after i asked my questions they just said bye, did you have a similar experience?

they also said something about transparency at the end, that 1200 people applied, they gave 150 interviews and they'll give 30 places
they also said something about transparency at the end, that 1200 people applied, they gave 150 interviews and they'll give 30 places

Interesting. I really couldn't gage their reaction to be honest, but I didn't get cold vibes from them. They seemed friendly actually, however I read that as general politeness. It does seem totally possible you got interviewed by another set of people, seeing as there are 150 interviews in total and surely not the same two people will do all of them. They didn't really say anything about my work either besides thanking me for showing it. Don't read too deeply into it, we've all done our best at this point all we have left to do is wait, miserable as it is... Do you have any idea as to when the Slade generally releases decisions/sends an offer? I am an American student and my issue is national decisions day is on a particular day in the US, so I am hoping to hear from UK schools before then :smile:
Interesting. I really couldn't gage their reaction to be honest, but I didn't get cold vibes from them. They seemed friendly actually, however I read that as general politeness. It does seem totally possible you got interviewed by another set of people, seeing as there are 150 interviews in total and surely not the same two people will do all of them. They didn't really say anything about my work either besides thanking me for showing it. Don't read too deeply into it, we've all done our best at this point all we have left to do is wait, miserable as it is... Do you have any idea as to when the Slade generally releases decisions/sends an offer? I am an American student and my issue is national decisions day is on a particular day in the US, so I am hoping to hear from UK schools before then :smile:

annoyingly the link they sent me didn't work so we were both waiting for ten minutes before they sent me a new one, not my fault tho but i think they seemed a little rushed and frustrated. they said they should let us know by the end of the month but if it will be later they'll send an email to let us when we'll find out
annoyingly the link they sent me didn't work so we were both waiting for ten minutes before they sent me a new one, not my fault tho but i think they seemed a little rushed and frustrated. they said they should let us know by the end of the month but if it will be later they'll send an email to let us when we'll find out

did they tell you about the number of interviews they gave and how many places they plan on giving in the interview? or did they just do that with me?
did they tell you about the number of interviews they gave and how many places they plan on giving in the interview? or did they just do that with me?

In my interview they didn't mention those things. But I also HUGE technical difficulties too and they were complaining about having a lot, like a lot of issues over Microsoft teams in other interviews. I also needed to get sent a new link. And they couldn't see my face when I presented my work due to an issue with my device. And after, when they left, they said I was initially going to be the last person they saw for the day but they had to reschedule someone after me because of the horrible technical difficulties they were experiencing in that interview, so that is when they left me off and said goodbye... So don't worry too much, you're far from the only person that had issues with teams! Although I know how anxiety provoking it is given that this is something one hopes to go perfectly, life happens and this digital platform makes things anything but easy... And thank you for telling me when they might make their decision! I was too shy to ask that specific question haha.
Reply 16
In my interview they didn't mention those things. But I also HUGE technical difficulties too and they were complaining about having a lot, like a lot of issues over Microsoft teams in other interviews. I also needed to get sent a new link. And they couldn't see my face when I presented my work due to an issue with my device. And after, when they left, they said I was initially going to be the last person they saw for the day but they had to reschedule someone after me because of the horrible technical difficulties they were experiencing in that interview, so that is when they left me off and said goodbye... So don't worry too much, you're far from the only person that had issues with teams! Although I know how anxiety provoking it is given that this is something one hopes to go perfectly, life happens and this digital platform makes things anything but easy... And thank you for telling me when they might make their decision! I was too shy to ask that specific question haha.

Hey out of curiosity, did you do a foundation year before hand?
Original post by nxddlx
Hey out of curiosity, did you do a foundation year before hand?

I did not have a foundation year, However, I attended an arts boarding high school in the US for the past two years. and you?
Reply 18
has anyone heard anything yet, I heard that people applying for other courses at UCL are hearing tonight/tomorrow so wondered whether anyone applying for the slade had heard anything yet either way?
Original post by be.cc.
has anyone heard anything yet, I heard that people applying for other courses at UCL are hearing tonight/tomorrow so wondered whether anyone applying for the slade had heard anything yet either way?

I thought they said they’d reply by the end of March, but I haven’t heard anything

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending