The Student Room Group

Official Durham University Postgrad 2021!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Paleopath2021
I know a few folks on here have mentioned receiving offers pretty quickly, but I read in the FAQ that it can take 8-12 weeks. Does anyone know if that's the average or the exception?

I applied mid-January and got a response in early February but I think it can vary by department and point in the cycle because there might be times when there are loads of applications and then times when there are fewer. I applied in time for a bursary for my faculty so I would hazard a guess to say that was quite a busy time for them but I'm not certain. As for the average I wouldn't be able to say unfortunately but hopefully you'll hear back soon! What course did you apply for?
I know a few folks on here have mentioned receiving offers pretty quickly, but I read in the FAQ that it can take 8-12 weeks. Does anyone know if that's the average or the exception?

I suppose it depends on the faculty! I submitted my application pretty early in October, so that might've been why I heard back so soon. I've since declined my offer due to not having the funding, so I'm not sure on any others!

If I recall correctly it was around three weeks between late November to mid-December.
Original post by Wildean99
I applied mid-January and got a response in early February but I think it can vary by department and point in the cycle because there might be times when there are loads of applications and then times when there are fewer. I applied in time for a bursary for my faculty so I would hazard a guess to say that was quite a busy time for them but I'm not certain. As for the average I wouldn't be able to say unfortunately but hopefully you'll hear back soon! What course did you apply for?

Well it’s good to hear that at least a handful of folks on here heard back quickly! While I wish Durham had more funding options, I think that might be part of why their application process is more streamlined than Oxbridge’s. I’m planning to apply to the MSc in Human Bioarch and Paleopathology, but I’ve already received an offer from York, and if I get a funding offer from them I probably won’t be able to wait 8-12 weeks to hear back from Durham before I have to decide on that offer. Fingers crossed it’s quicker than that! 🤞 Thanks ByTor2112 and Manclass98 for the info too!
Well it’s good to hear that at least a handful of folks on here heard back quickly! While I wish Durham had more funding options, I think that might be part of why their application process is more streamlined than Oxbridge’s. I’m planning to apply to the MSc in Human Bioarch and Paleopathology, but I’ve already received an offer from York, and if I get a funding offer from them I probably won’t be able to wait 8-12 weeks to hear back from Durham before I have to decide on that offer. Fingers crossed it’s quicker than that! 🤞 Thanks ByTor2112 and Manclass98 for the info too!

No problem! Absolutely, the application process for Oxford is so stressful. I submitted my app in September and STILL waiting to hear back - hopefully this week, but I'm fairly set on a uni in Manchester now, instead. Durham was my first choice for a long time, it felt really strange to decline my offer, but I definitely believe everything happens for a reason. Best of luck to everyone else who applied to Durham!

I applied for the MA Archaeology! If it helps, I applied to several universities at the same time and heard back from Durham first.
Original post by ByTor2112
I applied for the MA Archaeology! If it helps, I applied to several universities at the same time and heard back from Durham first.

Oh awesome! That's super reassuring, thank you!

Original post by Manclass98
No problem! Absolutely, the application process for Oxford is so stressful. I submitted my app in September and STILL waiting to hear back - hopefully this week, but I'm fairly set on a uni in Manchester now, instead. Durham was my first choice for a long time, it felt really strange to decline my offer, but I definitely believe everything happens for a reason. Best of luck to everyone else who applied to Durham!

Yep, I'm on week 10 at Cambridge and haven't heard a thing! I think once you get put into the 'maybe' pile at Oxford or Cambridge you can wait months and months. I'm so glad you've found somewhere you're excited about, though! That's really the most important goal.
Sorry for all the pestering, has anyone heard anything about The Faculty of Arts & Humanities MA Bursaries? I think it says on the website that we should hear back by next Wednesday but wanted to ask just in case anyways.
For anyone else that applied for the Faculty of Arts and Humanities MA Bursaries, I have just found out that my application was unsuccessful so hopefully people will be receiving the outcome of their applications soon - and hopefully more positive ones than mine too!
Reply 89
Hallo again,
So I accepted my offer finally. How does the college allocation thing work again? Will they send around an email?
Thanks
Reply 90
around 4-6 weeks you'll receive an email if you've been allocated the college you chose
8-10 if you did an open application, or if you don't get your preferred choice.

Thank you.
I cannot see a field where I was asked to give a preference for a college. I assume that means it's an open application?
Original post by ev78
Thank you.
I cannot see a field where I was asked to give a preference for a college. I assume that means it's an open application?

So sorry - I'm so sleep deprived I mistook this thread for the Oxford one!

College allocations will be done from next month for Durham. You'll be sent an email and be given the option to pick three colleges of your choice, then they try and get you in your first. If not, it'll be second or third. It's a cycle based on just a mix of students from different courses, to make it as fair as possible.
Reply 92
So sorry - I'm so sleep deprived I mistook this thread for the Oxford one!

College allocations will be done from next month for Durham. You'll be sent an email and be given the option to pick three colleges of your choice, then they try and get you in your first. If not, it'll be second or third. It's a cycle based on just a mix of students from different courses, to make it as fair as possible.

Alright, thank you for replying so quickly to begin with and for the information.

Will you be going to Oxford for your Postgrad?
Original post by ev78
Alright, thank you for replying so quickly to begin with and for the information.

Will you be going to Oxford for your Postgrad?

I've not heard back yet from Oxford. Durham was my first choice for ages, but I declined due to not getting the funding. Oxford at this point wasn't ever my first choice really, I think I'm going to take my offer of a law MA in Manchester :smile:
Sorry for all the posts about the Faculty of Arts and Humanities MA Bursaries but I've just heard back from my department (English Studies) after asking for some feedback on my application and I know there has been a bit of speculation about how many awards there will be this year, so I thought it might be helpful for others to know that there are three bursaries available this year.
Reply 95

Hi there! When I applied it said it can take 8-12 weeks, but they tend to be for the busier courses/ busier times of the year. They said it is usually more around six weeks but I heard exactly one week later :smile:
Original post by Wildean99
Sorry for all the posts about the Faculty of Arts and Humanities MA Bursaries but I've just heard back from my department (English Studies) after asking for some feedback on my application and I know there has been a bit of speculation about how many awards there will be this year, so I thought it might be helpful for others to know that there are three bursaries available this year.

Hi! Did they by any chance mention when the rest of us would hear back? I thought I would likely receive an email today.
Original post by MoorlandsGirl
Hi! Did they by any chance mention when the rest of us would hear back? I thought I would likely receive an email today.

Hi, they didn't unfortunately but I think it says on the website that applicants should be informed of the outcome of their application by Wednesday 24th March so hopefully you'll hear back soon! Sorry I couldn't be more help!
Original post by Chloe_N
Hi there! When I applied it said it can take 8-12 weeks, but they tend to be for the busier courses/ busier times of the year. They said it is usually more around six weeks but I heard exactly one week later :smile:

Wow, that’s great!
I've not heard back yet from Oxford. Durham was my first choice for ages, but I declined due to not getting the funding. Oxford at this point wasn't ever my first choice really, I think I'm going to take my offer of a law MA in Manchester :smile:

Update: rejected from Oxford, off to ULaw in Manchester!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending