The Student Room Group

No experience prior to Access course/University

I’ve applied for an access course to Midwifery and it starts in September but I’m worrying I won’t have a great chance at University as I have no previous experience in a care setting such as HCA, MSW. I also want to join breastfeeding classes, hypnobirthing classes and antenatal classes but again I’m struggling to even get a reply from people. I’ve been trying to gain voluntary work but it’s proving to be quite difficult due to the pandemic.

I was debating doing my Level 1,2 and 3 Health & Social care before my Access Course but this would set me back 2.5 years. It isn’t essential to have before the course or university but I thought it would help me in terms of experience.

Has anybody been in this same situation or can anybody help. What would you do in this situation?

Thanks in advance :smile: x
Hey Lauren, I done my access course to health in 2019, there were a few girls who went into midwifery, same position as you with no prior experience.

They went and applied for something called Maternity Mates, have a look at that and see if you're able to get into that. I think its designed for people like yourself who are looking to get into university with some experience.

I highly doubt you'll need to do your Level 1, 2 and 3 in Health and Social Care, it seems bit unnecessary, if you do Access to Midwifery or even Access to Health, it'll be sufficient for you to get into university, provided you meet the academic requirements
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by AliNineNine
Hey Lauren, I done my access course to health in 2019, there were a few girls who went into midwifery, same position as you with no prior experience.

They went and applied for something called Maternity Mates, have a look at that and see if you're able to get into that. I think its designed for people like yourself who are looking to get into university with some experience.

I highly doubt you'll need to do your Level 1, 2 and 3 in Health and Social Care, it seems bit unnecessary, if you do Access to Midwifery or even Access to Health, it'll be sufficient for you to get into university, provided you meet the academic requirements

Thank you so much!

I looked into this and unfortunately it isn’t in my area, though it is such a brilliant idea and I wish it was available in the North!

I’ll keep trying 🤞🏼
Original post by Lauren_3006
Thank you so much!

I looked into this and unfortunately it isn’t in my area, though it is such a brilliant idea and I wish it was available in the North!

I’ll keep trying 🤞🏼

It'd be quite difficult to get a response due to covid unfortunately, so that doesn't help 😕
Reply 4
Original post by AliNineNine
It'd be quite difficult to get a response due to covid unfortunately, so that doesn't help 😕

Yeah it really does seem impossible with COVID, I spoke to a maternity ward manager today and she said there are no opportunities like that at the minute. I completely get it though and understand, it’s just annoying as I feel I should be doing something to help my application. I’m sure it’ll work out ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending