The Student Room Group

Higher Modern studies vs Higher History

So I’m basically deciding my courses on Monday and I’m stuck between wether higher modern studies or history. Which ones easier ?
Neither of them are easy tbh, I did History but some of my friends did modern studies and both course have a lot of work and essays. My friends enjoyed modern studies though. I think you really have to like History to do it at higher though as I found it a lot more difficult than Nat 5, so if you're looking for something easy I wouldn't do History. If you like it though go for it!
Original post by thepunmaster.e
Neither of them are easy tbh, I did History but some of my friends did modern studies and both course have a lot of work and essays. My friends enjoyed modern studies though. I think you really have to like History to do it at higher though as I found it a lot more difficult than Nat 5, so if you're looking for something easy I wouldn't do History. If you like it though go for it!

I do like history, but I feel like the essay will be more harder than modern studies. I’m still not sure what to pick. Thank you so much
Reply 3
I’ve taken both id say I found modern stduies a lot easier than history. Last year in history I never got full marks in an essay or anything I think the highest I got was 20 or something like that. Modern studies it’s much easier to get an A and getting full marks is easier in my opinon. But it also really depends on the topics you are doing for modern studies and history. But overall I’d say modern studies is easier for essays. And source questions. Higher history is such a big step up from nat 5 but if you enjoy history you will probably do well. Remember you can always take the subject in s6 that you didn’t do in s5
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Ototot
I’ve taken both id say I found modern stduies a lot easier than history. Last year in history I never got full marks in an essay or anything I think the highest I got was 20 or something like that. Modern studies it’s much easier to get an A and getting full marks is easier in my opinon. But it also really depends on the topics you are doing for modern studies and history. But overall I’d say modern studies is easier for essays. And source questions. Higher history is such a big step up from nat 5 but if you enjoy history you will probably do well. Remember you can always take the subject in s6 that you didn’t do in s5

Thank you so much, I think I’m learning more towards modern studies feel like it’s more straight forward, For modern studies the Topics are democracy in the uk, social inequalities in uk and underdevelopment in Africa
Reply 5
Original post by Sumz_7
I think I’m learning more towards modern studies feel like it’s more straight forward, For modern studies the Topics are democracy in the uk, social inequalities in uk and underdevelopment in Africa

I done social inequalities and democracy as well. Those topics are quite good, I found the social inequalities sections quite difficult as it wasn’t really the part of modern studies I liked. But democracy is such an interesting topic and kinda easy as it’s what you’ve probably been learning for years in modern studies. This sounds super early but if you think about a degree you want to do or even a topic it can help you decide because then it’ll give you a better indicator of what one you should take. If you don’t know yet it doesn’t matter Because half the people don’t know ahahahah
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Sumz_7
I do like history, but I feel like the essay will be more harder than modern studies. I’m still not sure what to pick. Thank you so much

The actual writing of the essays, at least from my experience, was easier in History due to being incredibly formulaic. And you are essentially spoon-fed the content, though, of course, that's not exactly an interesting way of learning.

Modern Studies on the other hand was a really engaging course and the structure of it is much simpler/more predictable. I think most folk in my year who did it enjoyed it compared to very few people who acc enjoyed History.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by lrs_b
The actual writing of the essays, at least from my experience, was easier in History due to being incredibly formulaic. And you are essentially spoon-fed the content, though, of course, that's not exactly an interesting way of learning.

Modern Studies on the other hand was a really engaging course and the structure of it is much simpler/more predictable. I think most folk in my year who did it enjoyed it compared to very few people who acc enjoyed History.

Thank you so much, I’m definitely learning more towards modern studies
Original post by Ototot
I done social inequalities and democracy as well. Those topics are quite good, I found the social inequalities sections quite difficult as it wasn’t really the part of modern studies I liked. But democracy is such an interesting topic and kinda easy as it’s what you’ve probably been learning for years in modern studies. This sounds super early but if you think about a degree you want to do or even a topic it can help you decide because then it’ll give you a better indicator of what one you should take. If you don’t know yet it doesn’t matter Because half the people don’t know ahahahah

Yeah I really wanna do a degree in dentistry - I have chose the subjects which most unis require and just had one left over so I didn’t know which one higher history or modern. 😊
I'm currently doing higher modern studies and I also did nat 5, I have found higher easier than nat 5. A lot of my friends do higher history and by the sounds of it I think that modern studies is easier, I feel like I shouldn't say this but if you are just looking for a subject to memorise then its quite an easy pass in that aspect. However I am planning on taking hisotry next year so my mind may be changed! Either way take the subject you think u will enjoy the most!
Original post by wonder girl
I'm currently doing higher modern studies and I also did nat 5, I have found higher easier than nat 5. A lot of my friends do higher history and by the sounds of it I think that modern studies is easier, I feel like I shouldn't say this but if you are just looking for a subject to memorise then its quite an easy pass in that aspect. However I am planning on taking hisotry next year so my mind may be changed! Either way take the subject you think u will enjoy the most!

Thank you so much, I had my course choicing the other day and I had picked modern studies over history. But history is my next if I don’t Get modern studies ☺️
Original post by Sumz_7
Thank you so much, I had my course choicing the other day and I had picked modern studies over history. But history is my next if I don’t Get modern studies ☺️

If you ever need any help just let me know!
Original post by wonder girl
If you ever need any help just let me know!

Thank you so much, honestly thats made my day 😃
Original post by Sumz_7
Thank you so much, honestly thats made my day 😃

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest