The Student Room Group

The difference between Vet Science and Vet medicine?

When i searched for veterinary on the ucas website, some courses came up with vet science and others with medicine

what's the difference??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm guessing none.
Reply 2
it seems to be a different qualification though
vet at bristol is a BVSc
yet you've also got BVMBVS, BVM&S, BVMS, and BVetMed

ahhhh!!! there must be a difference
i don't knowwww
Reply 3
Calm self! As far as I remember, if you want to apply for the course that will allow you to work as a vet at the end, the code is the same for all the unis - D100. The course might be called something different, London call it Vet Medcine, Bristol call it Vet Science, but whatever the name, you will get MRCVS at the end of it, which is what you need to practise. The RVC also do a three year Vet Science degree, which will NOT allow you to practise as a vet at the end of it. Basically, if you're not 100% sure, contact the uni to ask which degree you need to take to qualify as a vet, and check that it's a five year degree you're applying for and not a three year one. But I am fairly sure that you need to look for the D100 course
Reply 4
different universities call it vet science or vet med and they have different qualification titles eg. BVMS, BVM&S, BVetMed, BVM BVS, VetMB and BVSc!although aslong as the course code is D100,they all qualify you to become a veterinary surgeon once you complete your course!
Reply 5
cool thanks
is one better than the others?
seems a random selection of letters to me, just arranged in different ways
lol
Reply 6
no there all the same qualification and as you said they have just rearranged the letters so all unis dont have the same title
Reply 7
hannah_vet
cool thanks
is one better than the others?
seems a random selection of letters to me, just arranged in different ways
lol

Nope they're all just humble Vets!
I think it only lets you know where each person has graduated from,

BVMS (Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery) = Glasgow
BVM&S (Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery) = Edinburgh
BVetMed (Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine)= RVC
BVSc (Bachelor of Veterinary Science) = Bristol & Liverpool
VetMB (Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine) = Cambridge
MVB (Diploma of Bachelor in/or Veterinary Medicine) = UCD (Ireland)
Reply 8
Some courses are appearing now with the title 'veterinary science' which won't give you the qualification to work in practice at the end of the course though.
^ If you want to do the one sarahl mentioned look for just BSc, like at RVC for example.
Reply 10
Hawk
Nope they're all just humble Vets!
I think it only lets you know where each person has graduated from,

BVMS (Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery) = Glasgow
BVM&S (Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery) = Edinburgh
BVetMed (Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine)= RVC
BVSc (Bachelor of Veterinary Science) = Bristol & Liverpool
VetMB (Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine) = Cambridge
MVB (Diploma of Bachelor in/or Veterinary Medicine) = UCD (Ireland)

Nottingham - BVM BVS (Bachelor of veterinary medicine and surgery)
Reply 11
Apologies, I just took that from the RCVS website, didn't realise Nottingham wasn't there.
Reply 12
No worries :biggrin:
Reply 13
Woop! Looking forward to having BVM BVS (BVMedSci) MRCVS after my name :biggrin: fairly decent load of letters!
Reply 14
Original post by Sarahl89
Some courses are appearing now with the title 'veterinary science' which won't give you the qualification to work in practice at the end of the course though.

then what will i be able to work as after completing the 'veterinary science' course?
I wondered this, Glasgow seem to change it depending on what they r sending me!! Sometimes it says Medicine, other times it says Science. Course code and 5 years is prob best guide I reckon :/
If you check on RVC website, they have both, veterinary medicine and veterinary science. They are both 5 years. I’m so confused.
Original post by Marttt56
If you check on RVC website, they have both, veterinary medicine and veterinary science. They are both 5 years. I’m so confused.

One is for RVC 5 year course, other is a new one they are offering in collaboration with Aberystwyth where the first 2 years are in Wales and they are taking on their first cohort this September. They are the same course, D100, simply under different names presumably to distinguish from them when you apply to either RVC or Aber.
Original post by tiny_tiger
Nottingham - BVM BVS (Bachelor of veterinary medicine and surgery)

Now nottigham also has the 3 year course of BVMSci (Bachelor or Veterinary Medicine Science). What does this mean, what are the benefits of this.
Original post by bitterlemons
Now nottigham also has the 3 year course of BVMSci (Bachelor or Veterinary Medicine Science). What does this mean, what are the benefits of this.

Could you link me the page of this course? You cannot become a vet from a 3 year degree, but I know Nottingham has a thing where after 3 years of doing their vet med degree you basically get a degree (I think it is called veterinary science but not the same as veterinary science which is vet med at Liverpool or Bristol and results in being a vet, but I guess like vet biology), so should you drop out after this point you aren’t left with no qualifications. If this is a new degree rather than referring to this, I don’t see any benefits to doing this degree if you want to be a vet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending