The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Orchard Lisle & Iris Brook? Postgrad Accom?

Hi,

Any experiences from post-grads there? Which accommodation would you recommend for postgrads based at Guy's?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd like to know this too actually, because OLIB was initially my top choice, but I've read reviews on studentcrowd claiming that crime is frequent around the area and it's quite dangerous. On the plus side, there's good wifi? Would really like to hear the experiences of people that have lived here recently/living in olib currently.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by 03as
I'd like to know this too actually, because OLIB was initially my top choice, but I've read reviews on studentcrowd claiming that crime is frequent around the area and it's quite dangerous. On the plus side, there's good wifi? Would really like to hear the experiences of people that have lived here recently/living in olib currently.

Is the crime bit really true? I read it too somewhere but it’s on Campus and shouldn’t be as bad? I guess now I will be really looking into this
Reply 3
Original post by iq101
Is the crime bit really true? I read it too somewhere but it’s on Campus and shouldn’t be as bad? I guess now I will be really looking into this

Really hope not! We might have to go to an open day and ask if no one ends up replying on the thread. Or email their residence team?
Reply 4
It was initially my first choice too, but i also read about this crime thing and im not so sure now. Also, do you know why it costs so little compared to other residences? Seems a little too good to be true.
Reply 5
Original post by Irene_So
It was initially my first choice too, but i also read about this crime thing and im not so sure now. Also, do you know why it costs so little compared to other residences? Seems a little too good to be true.

That's so true, a large studio is fairly affordable in OLIB compared to the other buildings. I wonder why?
I lived there during the academic year of 2013-2014 (in both Iris Brook and Orchard Lisle), and we were probably the second batch of people who lived there, so the buildings and facilities were still fairly new back then.

Crime - people were fatally stabbed in the pubs on Borough Street during my time there. But me and my friend would come back home from parties at 2am (we are both fairly petite women) and we had no trouble. I would actually pop over to the ATM at ungodly times like 4 or 5am to withdraw money or check my bank balance, and never felt unsafe. However this was 6 years ago so I'm not sure what the situation is like now. There was a mortuary right next door to IB and I would see bodies being carted to and fro all the time. The noise levels there were unbearable, and the courtyard was renovated during our time there as well, which caused massive amounts of disruption. The management there was ridiculously unpleasant and a pain to deal with (they were administered by Collegiate at the time). After the end of the year, me and my flatmates were all glad to move out - several had already moved out early on in the year, unable to deal with the BS going on there.

Not sure if that answers your question - I popped over to studentcrowd to read the reviews there and honestly am not surprised that it's turned into such a mess. I remember thinking back then that the one thing OLIB had going for it was that it was fairly new at the time, but after 6 years I shudder to think what it's turned into.
Reply 7
Original post by Heatheroink123
Has anyone got a offer for orchard lisle for 2020/21?

I do!
Reply 8
Original post by iceflyier
I lived there during the academic year of 2013-2014 (in both Iris Brook and Orchard Lisle), and we were probably the second batch of people who lived there, so the buildings and facilities were still fairly new back then.

Crime - people were fatally stabbed in the pubs on Borough Street during my time there. But me and my friend would come back home from parties at 2am (we are both fairly petite women) and we had no trouble. I would actually pop over to the ATM at ungodly times like 4 or 5am to withdraw money or check my bank balance, and never felt unsafe. However this was 6 years ago so I'm not sure what the situation is like now. There was a mortuary right next door to IB and I would see bodies being carted to and fro all the time. The noise levels there were unbearable, and the courtyard was renovated during our time there as well, which caused massive amounts of disruption. The management there was ridiculously unpleasant and a pain to deal with (they were administered by Collegiate at the time). After the end of the year, me and my flatmates were all glad to move out - several had already moved out early on in the year, unable to deal with the BS going on there.

Not sure if that answers your question - I popped over to studentcrowd to read the reviews there and honestly am not surprised that it's turned into such a mess. I remember thinking back then that the one thing OLIB had going for it was that it was fairly new at the time, but after 6 years I shudder to think what it's turned into.

Thanks so much for filling us in! That sounds really rough - especially having to see corpses?!
Did you know anyone living in a studio there at the time? I'm curious as to what it was like. It looks really nice on the Kings website, but I'd rather hear it from someone unbiased haha.
Reply 9
Original post by Heatheroink123
Has anyone got a offer for orchard lisle for 2020/21?

Original post by kjdjd
I do!

Ooh congrats guys! Do you mind letting us know your experience living there when you move in this year?
I'm thinking about applying in September and I'm unsure about where I'd want to live if I get in (unless I decide to take a year out after completing my undergrad instead but still)
Reply 10
Original post by 03as
Ooh congrats guys! Do you mind letting us know your experience living there when you move in this year?
I'm thinking about applying in September and I'm unsure about where I'd want to live if I get in (unless I decide to take a year out after completing my undergrad instead but still)

I definitely don't mind! But you'll have to remind me because I'm sure I'll forget haha
Original post by 03as
Thanks so much for filling us in! That sounds really rough - especially having to see corpses?!
Did you know anyone living in a studio there at the time? I'm curious as to what it was like. It looks really nice on the Kings website, but I'd rather hear it from someone unbiased haha.

Sorry for late replies haha, I'm not on TSR that much.
Yeah I did and she was really unhappy and ended up moving out midway through as well. It was just a really bad experience through and through.
Original post by kjdjd
I definitely don't mind! But you'll have to remind me because I'm sure I'll forget haha

Hi I’m seeing this post a bit late but was wondering what your experience of orchard brooks was?
Reply 13
Original post by arxizzle
Hi I’m seeing this post a bit late but was wondering what your experience of orchard brooks was?

Hey! So I'm here now and it's fine. It's pretty no frills but it's the cheapest option. And the location is incredible. I really don't know what everybody has been complaining about because I have not had the same experiences at all. My only complaint is really my flatmate situation but that's not really a building specific complaint, I just was unlucky haha. I'm definitely happy to answer any questions you may have though!
Original post by kjdjd
Hey! So I'm here now and it's fine. It's pretty no frills but it's the cheapest option. And the location is incredible. I really don't know what everybody has been complaining about because I have not had the same experiences at all. My only complaint is really my flatmate situation but that's not really a building specific complaint, I just was unlucky haha. I'm definitely happy to answer any questions you may have though!

Hey, how's OLIB wrt crime, cleanliness and maintenance? I had read some reviews on the same, was a little skeptical about the residence.

Would you suggest a private accomodation over Kings residences?
Original post by kjdjd

Ahh amazing would you recommend it? Is it not a pretty as it looks in the pictures now ahah and do you get preference over a two or four person flat?
Reply 16
Original post by nehal___g
Hey, how's OLIB wrt crime, cleanliness and maintenance? I had read some reviews on the same, was a little skeptical about the residence.

Would you suggest a private accomodation over Kings residences?

I haven't noticed any crime. Like it's right next to Borough High Street and London Bridge so it's a busy area. I honestly have no idea what other people had a problem with, maybe they've never lived in a city before? Cleanliness is fine, but it really depends on your flatmates since you're responsible for cleaning everything. I've had no problems with maintenance. Every time I've put in a request it's been fixed in a timely enough manner.

I don't necessarily think I'd suggest one type of accommodation over the other, it's so dependent on your situation. If you're already in London or the UK, I probably wouldn't suggest King's residences if you're a postgrad. But if you're coming from outside the area, it is so nice to not have to move to a new country and immediately have to try to find a place to live. Or have to worry about trying to find a flat remotely. The convenience is very nice and worth it. Or at least it was for me.
Original post by kjdjd
I haven't noticed any crime. Like it's right next to Borough High Street and London Bridge so it's a busy area. I honestly have no idea what other people had a problem with, maybe they've never lived in a city before? Cleanliness is fine, but it really depends on your flatmates since you're responsible for cleaning everything. I've had no problems with maintenance. Every time I've put in a request it's been fixed in a timely enough manner.

I don't necessarily think I'd suggest one type of accommodation over the other, it's so dependent on your situation. If you're already in London or the UK, I probably wouldn't suggest King's residences if you're a postgrad. But if you're coming from outside the area, it is so nice to not have to move to a new country and immediately have to try to find a place to live. Or have to worry about trying to find a flat remotely. The convenience is very nice and worth it. Or at least it was for me.

Thanks, that was really helpful!!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by arxizzle
Ahh amazing would you recommend it? Is it not a pretty as it looks in the pictures now ahah and do you get preference over a two or four person flat?

I do recommend it, if you're planning on living in student accommodation at all, OLIB is a great choice. It's probably one of the least expensive options you'll find, which for the location is a huge plus. It looks pretty much the same as it does in the pictures, although the bathrooms are definitely a bit more grim (or at least they are in my flat in Iris Brook House).

When you book you can pick the specific room you want to live in, so you can kind of tell how many rooms the flat will have because they'll be lettered A-E. I know that all of the Iris Brook flats that end in -01 are 5 bedroom flats. The rest in Iris Brook are 4 beds. Orchard Lisle is harder to say which is which, but their flats have 2-4 bedrooms.
Hi! I'm thinking of living here, but I'm not a big fan of street noise, especially at night. Do you have any comments or suggestions about this? Maybe choosing a room or floor? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest