The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

MPhil/DPhil applicants of Oxford ODID

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Daisy2021
I still have the upload button too. Couldn't help to check email every 3am. Didn't sleep well since last week.

I feel like this past week I've been SO impatient. The first thing I do when I wake up is literally check TSR and Gradcafé + My Portal. If I accidentally wake up for a brief minute in the middle of the night I'll even check my e-mail and as Friday approaches it gets harder and harder!! I swear if we don't hear on Friday I might have to hide under a rock for the rest of the week and do anything to distract myself.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 21
Original post by bratpid123
I feel like this past week I've been SO impatient. The first thing I do when I wake up is literally check TSR and Gradcafé + My Portal. If I accidentally wake up for a brief minute in the middle of the night I'll even check my e-mail and as Friday approaches it gets harder and harder!! I swear if we don't hear on Friday I might have to hide under a rock for the rest of the week and do anything to distract myself.

It makes two of us!
Yeah same I’m so nervous. I also have that routine of checking tsr, gradcafe and my portal at any given opportunity. What are peoples academic background/research interests if they don’t mind sharing?
Original post by Jonsmithpoole
Yeah same I’m so nervous. I also have that routine of checking tsr, gradcafe and my portal at any given opportunity. What are peoples academic background/research interests if they don’t mind sharing?

Can completely relate...feel very nervous about it, not sure one of my writing samples was the best as I specifically wrote it for the application. Several years in financial services, RG undergrad 67% with honours. Research interest, South Asia looking at how to preserve culture whilst developing - making the case of how this could improve innovation within a specific sector. Interested to hear others :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by RStudent1
Can completely relate...feel very nervous about it, not sure one of my writing samples was the best as I specifically wrote it for the application. Several years in financial services, RG undergrad 67% with honours. Research interest, South Asia looking at how to preserve culture whilst developing - making the case of how this could improve innovation within a specific sector. Interested to hear others :smile:

Did you contact potential supervisor before you made the official application? Did you get his/her reply?
Did you contact potential supervisor before you made the official application? Did you get his/her reply?

No I was quite busy with work + wfh adjustments etc. I spoke a lot with my dissertation supervisor from UG and previous professors who advised me. At the time I was figuring out the specifics of my research interest and did not want the integrity of that to be lost by simply wanting to get on the course (the only one I applied to). I do think research alignment is important for postgrad (masters) but I think nobody else is going to stand up for your idea than you. We'll see if I am eating my words in a few days I guess... What about yourself?
Did most have interviews as part of their application? I didn't but interviews aren't carried out for my course so wasn't expecting one.
I was so hesitant and thought it wouldn't be a good idea to reach out to any supervisors but I'm glad you guys got good feedback. Did you guys apply to other UK schools? In the end, I hope the MPhil program works out because I genuinely like the way it is structured and it feels like I'd get more academic freedom to explore my topic of interest.
Reply 28
I guess it's different. I applied DPhil, not MPhil.
It is okay for MPhil not to contact potential supervisors before the official application.
I was so hesitant and thought it wouldn't be a good idea to reach out to any supervisors but I'm glad you guys got good feedback. Did you guys apply to other UK schools? In the end, I hope the MPhil program works out because I genuinely like the way it is structured and it feels like I'd get more academic freedom to explore my topic of interest.

I feel the same, the 2 year course structure seems brilliant. Especially being able to study completely new disciplines I haven’t had the chance to encounter at undergrad !
I contacted potential supervisors before I made official application. I first approached several potential supervisors in another department. And I got very good feedback from three professors in that department. They showed lots of interests into my research proposal, encouraged me to submit official application and told me to put their names on it. However, I got rejected by that department. This is how I learnt that the decision is depended on the admissions committee, not potential supervisor.

Worse thing is that I felt confident with that application last year and I didn't apply to other universities. As you know, it rejected me in this January. This ODID application is my only hope now.

From my friends who have done PhDs / applied - they're normally quick to reject so, they must be considering you, probably just a question of resources/funding at this level. Really rooting for you, I hope you get in! :wink:
I guess it's different. I applied DPhil, not MPhil.
It is okay for MPhil not to contact potential supervisors before the official application.

That makes sense! Just out of curiosity (if you're happy to share) what course did you do as an undergrad and for a master's? Wondering how related people's masters subjects are to their DPhil applications :smile:

Same, just to clarify I reached out to professors from my UG not for the MPhil at Ox'. Same, I already did a 10,000 word dissertation at UG - didn't really want to do the same at postgrad masters level. Thought the 2 years was great to help produce research at a high level.
Do you guys think we will actually get a response this week? I guess they did say 8-10 weeks, so technically we could hear back in two weeks.... I really hope it’s this week though
Same, just to clarify I reached out to professors from my UG not for the MPhil at Ox'. Same, I already did a 10,000 word dissertation at UG - didn't really want to do the same at postgrad masters level. Thought the 2 years was great to help produce research at a high level.

Same!! I really wanted to hit two birds with one stone and challenge myself for that level of research PLUS there's a field study component that makes it very unique compared to other development programs. I went to college in the US and I feel like there isn't much emphasis on research and it's more taught (ofc) and I noticed this when I realized I basically had my whole application for Ox finished but had to write one writing sample from scratch. I just feel like for myself my next step is getting more comfortable and challenging myself with that level of research.
Reply 35
From my friends who have done PhDs / applied - they're normally quick to reject so, they must be considering you, probably just a question of resources/funding at this level. Really rooting for you, I hope you get in! :wink:

what do you mean by "they're normally quick to reject so"?
Reply 36
Original post by MigrationStation
That makes sense! Just out of curiosity (if you're happy to share) what course did you do as an undergrad and for a master's? Wondering how related people's masters subjects are to their DPhil applications :smile:

mine is not very related
Do you guys think we will actually get a response this week? I guess they did say 8-10 weeks, so technically we could hear back in two weeks.... I really hope it’s this week though

I feel like in the past people were def receiving offers by Friday. However, you are totally right. It is possible that we may not hear by Friday. If so, then I would assume that we would get an update by the end of March. From what I recall, they kinda pushed back the January deadline by a bit due to the pandemic so I'm hoping that it won't delay them in sending their responses. I always hesitated to reach out to the department to see when we would expect results but never actually followed through bc I didn't know if there that many ppl in the thread applying to the same course.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 38

Someone emailed the ODID admission team and got the reply that we would receive response on/before March 19th.
Reply 39
I hope so too

I hope so too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending