The Student Room Group

LGBTQ people only; please can you help me out with this preacher?

Hello lovely people, I know it no doubt seems a bit of a weird request but I’m debating a preacher who genuinely seems to think that all LGBTQ+ folks want him rotting in a dungeon or jail cell for supporting prayer conversion therapy and biblical marriage. Please can you write him something nice I can send to him?

Scroll to see replies

You won't be able to change his belief that homosexuality is wrong.
His beliefs are motivated by religion.
His religion is motived by God, the existence of God is proved by the existence of God.
Reply 2
'I respect everyone's opinions so long as they respect mine too, it is the brilliant thing about opinions'

Would leave it after that. You are wasting your time debating him, you cannot convince someone who is not willing to be convinced.
Original post by glassalice
You won't be able to change his belief that homosexuality is wrong.
His beliefs are motivated by religion.
His religion is motived by God, the existence of God is proved by the existence of God.

I’m not trying to change his beliefs on homosexuality; I’m trying to make him see we aren’t a threat that wants him dead or in prison (which I don’t)
Reply 4
is this person your pastor? like do you go to his church?
Original post by Joleee
is this person your pastor? like do you go to his church?

No, I already am a member of an inclusive church thankfully. I just think it’s sad how there are people that believe we all want them in prison for having an opposing viewpoint to us
Original post by Garnettoi
I’m not trying to change his beliefs on homosexuality; I’m trying to make him see we aren’t a threat that wants him dead or in prison (which I don’t)

If this pastor supports the concept of conversation therapy, that is a shame, but we are all entitled to have our own opinions. Tolerance is a great virtue- many LGBT people are tolerant.

If this pastor aids or carries out conversation therapy on people, I very very much hope that he does get locked up for a very long time.
If this pastor supports the concept of conversation therapy, that is a shame, but we are all entitled to have our own opinions. Tolerance is a great virtue- many LGBT people are tolerant.

If this pastor aids or carries out conversation therapy on people, I very very much hope that he does get locked up for a very long time.

He prays for or with people that come to him for help, obviously he doesn’t support stuff like corrective rape or electroshock therapy or emotional abuse; does praying with someone at their request really warrant a long jail sentence when there are murderers and child rapists in this world?
I'm a heterosexual female and have nothing to do with LGBT activism.
But let me know if you want a message to give him from someone that does want noisy toxic waste rotting in a jail cell for their vocal promotion of conversion therapy and other foul fire&brimstone nonsense.
Original post by londonmyst
I'm a heterosexual female and have nothing to do with LGBT activism.
But let me know if you want a message to give him from someone that does want noisy toxic waste rotting in a jail cell for their vocal promotion of conversion therapy and other foul fire&brimstone nonsense.

I appreciate your willingness to stand up for us but if he’s just praying with someone who asks to be prayed with though what objective harm is there in that?
Reply 10
No, I already am a member of an inclusive church thankfully. I just think it’s sad how there are people that believe we all want them in prison for having an opposing viewpoint to us

hmm...tbh i wouldn't bother with this person; it's the same as arguing with any fundamentalist, ie a total waste of breath. but if you insist on it you could take a pragmatic approach, like -

'why do you think that, sir?

as a Christian i don't wish anyone to be in a dungeon or prison, and i know my LGBTQ friends don't either. i'm sorry you have that assumption, but maybe you should try speaking to more LGBTQ people in real life before you presume such things.'

does that sound nice? :colondollar: sorry, niceness isn't my strong suit.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." - Not Voltaire, unattributed.
Original post by Joleee
hmm...tbh i wouldn't bother with this person; it's the same as arguing with any fundamentalist, ie a total waste of breath. but if you insist on it you could take a pragmatic approach, like -

'why do you think that, sir?

as a Christian i don't wish anyone to be in a dungeon or prison, and i know my LGBTQ friends don't either. i'm sorry you have that assumption, but maybe you should try speaking to more LGBTQ people in real life before you presume such things.'

does that sound nice? :colondollar: sorry, niceness isn't my strong suit.

Original post by DiddyDec
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." - Not Voltaire, unattributed.

Thank you both these are great 😊 :biggrin:
Thank you both these are great 😊 :biggrin:

I was going to call him a massive **** but decided that wasn't "nice" :h:
Original post by DiddyDec
I was going to call him a massive **** but decided that wasn't "nice" :h:

It gets the point across; thank you so much for being respectful
Apart from something vague about respecting people's opinions I can't think of anything.
"If you don't bother us you don't have to worry" or something in that vein?
Original post by Foxehh
'I respect everyone's opinions so long as they respect mine too, it is the brilliant thing about opinions'

Would leave it after that. You are wasting your time debating him, you cannot convince someone who is not willing to be convinced.

Original post by Vapordave
Apart from something vague about respecting people's opinions I can't think of anything.
"If you don't bother us you don't have to worry" or something in that vein?

Thank you both; I’ll send these too :smile:
Reply 17
Hello lovely people, I know it no doubt seems a bit of a weird request but I’m debating a preacher who genuinely seems to think that all LGBTQ+ folks want him rotting in a dungeon or jail cell for supporting prayer conversion therapy and biblical marriage. Please can you write him something nice I can send to him?

tell him i do want him rotting in a dungeon cell for supporting prayer conversion therapy
i hope he dies a slow, painful death, surrounded by nothing by worms and his own puke and ****
Reply 18

supportive conversion therapy is the same as supporting emotional abuse tho
Original post by Ciel.
tell him i do want him rotting in a dungeon cell for supporting prayer conversion therapy
i hope he dies a slow, painful death, surrounded by nothing by worms and his own puke and ****

Ciel lmao

What is wrong with praying with or for someone that asks for it that it deserves this?

Quick Reply

Latest