The Student Room Group

Sheffield A100 / A101 2021 Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hi guys congrats on the offers, I’ve got an offer too! I don’t know if anyone else has this problem but my UCAS has not updated, but I’ve received confirmation of the offer via email directly from the university. I’ve set up a MUSE account and everything but I’m getting a bit anxious because I really want to firm but I can’t since there is nothing on UCAS. Should I email or call them?
Original post by studix
Hi guys congrats on the offers, I’ve got an offer too! I don’t know if anyone else has this problem but my UCAS has not updated, but I’ve received confirmation of the offer via email directly from the university. I’ve set up a MUSE account and everything but I’m getting a bit anxious because I really want to firm but I can’t since there is nothing on UCAS. Should I email or call them?

I would as I think most people got an email from track first and then from Sheffield the following day (or at least that’s what happen to me and other people I have spoken to!)
Has anyone else booked onto the medicine open day on Saturday?
Original post by _lfc_annie_

How do we do that?
Original post by aishwaryajain
How do we do that?

If you login to MUSE and go onto applicant days, there is an option to book an online open day thing. One is this Saturday and another is towards the end of April I think
Yeah I booked for Saturday at 11
Reply 66

Didn’t know there was one😅 But yes I probably will
If you login to MUSE and go onto applicant days, there is an option to book an online open day thing. One is this Saturday and another is towards the end of April I think

Thank you, just booked it for the 20th of March at 11am :smile:
Reply 68
Is your applicant number different to your ucas ID?
Oops never mind would be good if I read it properly
(edited 3 years ago)
I think the applicant like offer holder open day and normal open day for year below is the same one?
Original post by silly mili
I think the applicant like offer holder open day and normal open day for year below is the same one?

I don’t think so because I just got an invite to one via email (even though I already booked onto one) so I think they are only bookable via MUSE/invite for offer holders
Reply 71
Finally I can join this chat 😭 after much stress with my application, offer is in the bag 🥳🥳
Original post by silly mili

Hi @silly mili,

The university summer open days and applicant days are separate events, with slightly different activities going on. Our summer open days are open to the general public, and are primarily aimed at supporting prospective students that have not yet applied to university. An applicant day is only open to students who have received an offer to study at Sheffield via UCAS, and are bookable online via MUSE. You are welcome to attend an applicant day before choosing your firm and insurance choices too :smile:

At an applicant day, you'll be able to meet staff and current students from the Medical School, as well as find out more about the course. There will also be opportunities to explore virtual talks, and find out more about what it is like to study at Sheffield (such as accommodation options and the Students Union).

When I was deciding where to put as my firm choice, I found attending an applicant day really valuable to find out more about Sheffield (so can definitely recommend! If you have any more questions, just let me know

- Ben
Sheffield Graduate
BSc Molecular Biology, MSc Human and Molecular Genetics
Original post by tabbypodger
Does anyone have opinions on the best accommodation for medical students? From my research it looks like Enfield is best for me but if anyone has any useful info please let me know

Original post by YumemiRiamu
What's everyone thinking about for accommodation? I have a bit to wait before I can make a decision (still waiting for a response from Leeds :s-smilie:) but I'm torn in terms of what room type I'm most interested in. En-suite is a must but I'm not sure whether I should go basic and save my money or splash out a bit more so I have more room. The double beds are very tempting :lol:

Hi @tabbypodger and @YumemiRiamu,

I would say that there isn't a specific accommodation that is more suitable for medicine students, and it more comes down to your personal preferences! Both the Endcliffe/Ranmoor and City accommodation sites are about equidistant from the Medical School, although the City accommodation is closer to the main campus area (such as the Students Union buildings and libraries). You may find that rooms in Ranmoor or City accomodation are a little bit quieter than Endcliffe, but again the difference is minimal and it comes down to personal preference.

I lived in Ranmoor in my first year (self-catered en-suite) and had a really great time. Whilst it was only a single bed, the rest of the room was a good size and I had plenty of storage - including a very big desk to study at with great Wi-fi!

I know that @Ensoetre and @YumemiRiamu were worried about the en-suite being a wet room, but I just want to emphasise to you that this was not a problem at all! The shower drains really well, and there is a curtain to stop the toilet and sink area from getting wet. I also found that the design makes it much easier to clean than a separate shower cubicle I had in later years, as everything can be wiped down and the shower curtain put in the washing machine.

The kitchen was also really spacious, with double of every appliance (and 3 fridge-freezers) as I shared with 9 others (so no fighting for space at mealtimes). You also get a living room area with sofas, as well as dining tables big enough to seat everyone at once :smile:

If you have any more questions about choosing accommodation just let me know!

Original post by Username679
Hi guys! Congratulations on your offers! Just have a quick question about accomodation: Have anyone applied to accomdation yet? If so how did you do it? Thank you in advance :smile:

Hi @Username679,

You can apply to university accommodation via your applicant MUSE account, after you have firmed Sheffield on UCAS. More information on applying can be found here:
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommodation/prospective/apply

- Ben
Sheffield Graduate
If you have any more questions about choosing accommodation just let me know!

Hi @Username679,

You can apply to university accommodation via your applicant MUSE account, after you have firmed Sheffield on UCAS. More information on applying can be found here:
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommodation/prospective/apply

- Ben
Sheffield Graduate

Thanks for all the info, Ben! I’m coming in as a graduate entry mature student and am considering private rental in a shared house as I’m not sure halls will be my best option.

Is there a popular area in Sheffield for med students/junior docs to live, or maybe a postgrad accommodation board for people looking to house share?
Original post by gradmedica
Thanks for all the info, Ben! I’m coming in as a graduate entry mature student and am considering private rental in a shared house as I’m not sure halls will be my best option.

Is there a popular area in Sheffield for med students/junior docs to live, or maybe a postgrad accommodation board for people looking to house share?

Hi @gradmedica,

Beyond their first year, most students in Sheffield (including Medical students) move into private rented housing in several areas within walking distance of main campus, although some may choose somewhere a bit further away and use the excellent public transport network in Sheffield. Areas popular with students include:
Crookes, Crookesmoore, Broomhill, Broomhall (note spelling difference), Ecclesall Road, Sharrow Vale, Upperthorpe, Kelham Island, City Centre

In terms of places to find vacancies, I would recommend checking out SmartMove Sheffield. This is a service run jointly by the university and Students' Union, advertising vacancies in Sheffield (including room-only contracts in a shared house). All the properties on SmartMove are inspected by the Council and SmartMove to ensure that they are safe and fit for students to live in.

There is also lots of information on house hunting on the Student Advice Centre on the SU website :smile:

- Ben
Sheffield Graduate
Original post by University of Sheffield Alumni
Hi @gradmedica,

Beyond their first year, most students in Sheffield (including Medical students) move into private rented housing in several areas within walking distance of main campus, although some may choose somewhere a bit further away and use the excellent public transport network in Sheffield. Areas popular with students include:
Crookes, Crookesmoore, Broomhill, Broomhall (note spelling difference), Ecclesall Road, Sharrow Vale, Upperthorpe, Kelham Island, City Centre

In terms of places to find vacancies, I would recommend checking out SmartMove Sheffield. This is a service run jointly by the university and Students' Union, advertising vacancies in Sheffield (including room-only contracts in a shared house). All the properties on SmartMove are inspected by the Council and SmartMove to ensure that they are safe and fit for students to live in.

There is also lots of information on house hunting on the Student Advice Centre on the SU website :smile:

- Ben
Sheffield Graduate

This is so helpful, thanks Ben!
Hey Guys! congrats on getting an offer!!! I'm a first year medical student at Sheffield. If you have any questions about anything (uni life/accom/the course itself) im happy to answer them! :smile:
Original post by Milliespencer
Hey Guys! congrats on getting an offer!!! I'm a first year medical student at Sheffield. If you have any questions about anything (uni life/accom/the course itself) im happy to answer them! :smile:

Hi, I was wondering whether Sheffield is a safe city to live in and whether you feel safe living in Sheffield?
Does anyone know how diverse sheffield is?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending