The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

MPhil/DPhil applicants of Oxford ODID

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jonsmithpoole
I didn't contact a supervisor for mphil development studies- I believe the application page advises us not to contact anyone as they assign them in the second year i think. In terms of my background- currently in my final year of studies at oxbridge, with a years work experience from before university (no development specific experience unfortunately). First year I received a 2.1, second year I received a 1st. Kinda worried about my written samples but hopefully they're of a decent standard. My research interests are mainly around natural resource development and sustainable development debates. I'm also very much dependent on receiving full funding- even if I get in, if I don't get a scholarship then I won't be able to take up the offer. Upsetting but I guess that's the harsh reality of academia at this stage of study.

Look forward to hearing from others!

I am in the same boat funding wise, even though I have been working for a while I think it is underestimated how hard it is to self fund without any support from elsewhere. I hope you get in and the funding! Have you been looking at funding outside of Ox' would highly recommend this, they're often means tested looking at your background when you were in school (so don't worry if you're working now), also funding can be obtained from research centres (this is much harder and I think you need an offer from Ox' before you can approach them). I hope this is of use but please don't be shy from trying to get funding, it's there for a reason and too many good candidates who really need them each year tend not to :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by Daisy2021
what do you mean by "they're normally quick to reject so"?

I don't know if this is the case for Ox' but from what I have heard that PhDs are very cut throat in the application process- I have a friend who got a few rejections in Feb' (but not sure where she applied). Apparently people normally get offers in their second/third year of applying because it is quite competitive but I don't know how true this is...
(edited 3 years ago)
Thumbs up if you're dreading trying to get through the night without hearing a 2am email ping lol
Original post by MigrationStation
Thumbs up if you're dreading trying to get through the night without hearing a 2am email ping lol

Honestly if they haven't removed the upload docs button I don't think anything will happen but it has become a bit of an unhealthy habit this week, so I will probably check lol...also just out of sheer curiosity, yesterday nothing happened on grad cafe and I was like I am not sure if I'm grateful or more stressed out!
Original post by RStudent1
Honestly if they haven't removed the upload docs button I don't think anything will happen but it has become a bit of an unhealthy habit this week, so I will probably check lol...also just out of sheer curiosity, yesterday nothing happened on grad cafe and I was like I am not sure if I'm grateful or more stressed out!

Haha I can relate!! All this refreshing and confusion about uploading on the official thread has had me way more stressed out. Btw my uploads doc button did get removed this morning but maybe that was just for migration applicants?
Haha I can relate!! All this refreshing and confusion about uploading on the official thread has had me way more stressed out. Btw my uploads doc button did get removed this morning but maybe that was just for migration applicants?

Right?! Ahh I see, then I totally get it - fingers crossed for you! Will probably be awake for support :wink: Ya, I don't believe any MPhil for DS have had theirs removed
Right?! Ahh I see, then I totally get it - fingers crossed for you! Will probably be awake for support :wink: Ya, I don't believe any MPhil for DS have had theirs removed

thanks!!

so true hahaha, feel like I'm a maniac at this point XD

Mine got removed this morning for Refugee and Forced Migration Studies. Stalking this thread as a ODID applicant :smile:
Reply 49
I still have the upload button, and I start to doubt if we can get results by this week.
I still have the upload button, and I start to doubt if we can get results by this week.

So do I and I am also waiting on a response for the Dphil ID 😊 hang in there
Reply 51
Original post by ODIDDphil

We applied to the same course
Reply 52
Original post by ODIDDphil

We applied to the same course

Were you interviewed by ODID for this application?
Were you interviewed by ODID for this application?

No interview, but apparently it is not standard for this course so not too fazed by it 😊
Reply 54
@ODIDDphil and @Dosoy , we three applied to the same course, DPhil in ID
Reply 55
Who else applied to DPhil in International Development?
Who's feeling fatigued by this process, guessing nobody has heard anything or any changes?
Who's feeling fatigued by this process, guessing nobody has heard anything or any changes?

Haven’t heard anything yet- feel like I should just stop checking now, especially if news will arrive tomorrow regardless
Original post by Jonsmithpoole
Haven’t heard anything yet- feel like I should just stop checking now, especially if news will arrive tomorrow regardless

Yes I agree (really curious to know the stats from this years apps to see how covid impacted apps combined with brexit changing fees for eu students)
Reply 59
@ODIDDphil and @Dosoy , we three applied to the same course, DPhil in ID

Yes I did apply to Dphil in International Development

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending