The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

I'm a student at Royal Holloway -- Ask Me Anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by octo
Sorry about the delay here, I completely forgot to check this AMA! :biggrin: I won't be much help with the sports centre, as I shamefully only went in there for Freshers' Fair and an exam, and never once went to actually do sport, but the others I can absolutely help out with!

Tesco is definitely the closest big supermarket, though depending on where you are on campus, there are some smaller shops in Englefield Green where you can pop in and grab some essentials, or if you really hate your wallet you can do your weekly shop at the Union Shop on campus itself. Depending on which accom block you're in, Tesco is anywhere from a 10-minute walk (if you're in any of the Band A accom at the bottom of campus, and you're taking the back gate out and down through Egham) to a 20-minute walk if you're starting from George Eliot or Founders--but there's the campus bus that takes you within a few minutes' walk of it that's only £1 either way, same with the White Bus that goes the same way from the bus stop outside campus. It's not a BIG big Tesco, more medium-sized, but it knows it's catering mostly to students and I never found myself struggling to find what I needed (apart from my last ever shop there, where we tried to get hand sanitiser... in March 2020... yeah :biggrin:). If you band together with your housemates or flatmates (and you're self-catered, as you won't be buying enough stuff as a catered student to warrant it) you can get an online order in from Tesco or any of the other big stores; they'll deliver to any of the halls on campus! but it's generally only financially worth it if you're doing it for multiple students, as the minimum spend is £40 and generally speaking I would struggle to make it up to £40 every single week!

SO on-campus housing is pretty varied, as you can probably tell from the website -- you're going anywhere from catered/dining hall style meals and shared bathrooms in a big historic building like Founders, to en-suite, self-catered modern buildings with double beds at the bottom of campus in Band A (Butler/Tuke/Williamson/Gowar/Wedderburn) and anything in-between. Generally I've found all the accommodation blocks have their own charm (yes, even Kingswood, which has a gorgeous new dining hall and seems like a peaceful and friendly community, though I haven't been into any of the rooms myself), and what one is best for you will genuinely depend on what you want and what you need.

When it comes to off-campus housing, most students live either up the hill in the village of Englefield Green, or down the hill in Egham town. I lived in Englefield Green in my second year, about a 15-20 min walk from campus, and paid about £440 a month -- but there were definitely cheaper houses, just as there were more expensive ones. I'd keep an eye on student reviews -- all of the big estate agents have their horror stories, but it seems to vary year on year who's the worst (I would say I've heard the most horror stories about Browns, myself, but that'll always be observation bias). You can find some lovely places and you can find some nasty ones, so just be thorough when looking around and don't listen to estate agents if they try to rush you into signing during the viewing or anything like that.

Thank you! This was really helpful :smile: I'm currently applying to the MA in Creative Writing, and I'm hoping to hear back from them soon!
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Original post by Zaaaxaaa
I’m literally in the same position, I’m Muslim and although I want to live on campus I’m not about that drinking life, and personally being from west London I’m use to being around many different people. I’m currently debating whether I should go, but if you are thinking about going hit me up sis.

omg heyy I just saw this , have you accepted an offer yet ? I am still debating on RH 🤣
Hi there,

Please can a current or recent student of Computer Science tell me how many days/hours a week they had to attend the uni?
I'm an adult learner with a part-time job which can be shifted around my studies. But I need to have an approximation in my head in advance.
The uni is not very helpful in their replies to this question. 🙂
Thanks in advance!
Original post by vanessa.R
omg heyy I just saw this , have you accepted an offer yet ? I am still debating on RH 🤣

I haven’t accepted it yet but I have decided that I will, my dad drove me down there to see the place and I acc really like it. U still have time to think about it tho
How middle / upper class is Royal Holloway? I read that it attracts about 14% of students from private school backgrounds, which is below that of most Russell Group unis. Yet the Founders building and leafy campus are so nice that I can't imagine it being anything less than a middle class student body?
Original post by StarLinyx
How middle / upper class is Royal Holloway? I read that it attracts about 14% of students from private school backgrounds, which is below that of most Russell Group unis. Yet the Founders building and leafy campus are so nice that I can't imagine it being anything less than a middle class student body?

I used to go to RHUL so happy to answer!

You do get your middle/upper class types from toff to polo players, etc but on the whole there's a pretty big mixture of people of all classes and races. The campus appearance has that feel to it, but really the posh ones are few and far apart so don't worry too much about it; whether you are from that background or not you should fit right in!
Hi, I am a wheelchair user seeking to got to RHUL. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the accessibility is like at George Eliot accommodation? E.g. are the kitchen counters lowered with space underneath in some of the kitchens? Is there an accessible bathroom with a wetroom and fold-down shower seat? Thanks
Reply 167
Original post by penguinsrock
Hi, I am a wheelchair user seeking to got to RHUL. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the accessibility is like at George Eliot accommodation? E.g. are the kitchen counters lowered with space underneath in some of the kitchens? Is there an accessible bathroom with a wetroom and fold-down shower seat? Thanks

Hey! I don't know much about this personally, but on the accommodation page here there's a link to an accessibility survey and analysis of GE. If I'm honest--it may be different in blocks I haven't gone into myself, but GE doesn't seem like the most accessible place if I'm honest--which staggers me since it's the most recent build. All of Band A (Tuke, Butler, Williamson, Gowar, and Wedderburn) as well as Founders definitely (not 100% sure on Reid, Runnymede, or Kingswood) have lifts on all floors and level access to rooms, but GE has stairs in the townhouses I've been into at least, and I'm not sure if there's access to a lift in some townhouses or not. In Band A the bathrooms are all wetrooms. Here's a link to Gowar's AccessAble page, which has a picture of the room and bathroom!
Original post by octo
Hey! I don't know much about this personally, but on the accommodation page here there's a link to an accessibility survey and analysis of GE. If I'm honest--it may be different in blocks I haven't gone into myself, but GE doesn't seem like the most accessible place if I'm honest--which staggers me since it's the most recent build. All of Band A (Tuke, Butler, Williamson, Gowar, and Wedderburn) as well as Founders definitely (not 100% sure on Reid, Runnymede, or Kingswood) have lifts on all floors and level access to rooms, but GE has stairs in the townhouses I've been into at least, and I'm not sure if there's access to a lift in some townhouses or not. In Band A the bathrooms are all wetrooms. Here's a link to Gowar's AccessAble page, which has a picture of the room and bathroom!

Thanks so much for your very detailed reply! Is Gowar really far away from lectures though? On the map it seems the furthest. Is there an accessible route onto campus from Gowar?
Original post by Zaaaxaaa
I haven’t accepted it yet but I have decided that I will, my dad drove me down there to see the place and I acc really like it. U still have time to think about it tho

yep im planning on doing the same thing after April 12th. Im going to drive down there and make a final decision 🤣
Reply 170
Original post by penguinsrock
Thanks so much for your very detailed reply! Is Gowar really far away from lectures though? On the map it seems the furthest. Is there an accessible route onto campus from Gowar?

Hey! There definitely is -- Band A are all within a few mins walk of each other, so while Gowar/Wedderburn are slightly further out than Tuke/Butler/Williamson, it's all on campus and just slightly further down the same path. Gowar's AccessAble plan is going to be identical to any of the Band A ones, so you're at least guaranteed lift access and accessible rooms with that area. Founders is a bit more of a wildcard, since the room sizes vary considerably, but it's fully step-free with the lift, and does have accessible/wetroom bathrooms -- albeit only the two, on the second floor in both East and West.

Here's a link to a PDF of the current campus map -- the red line here is step-free. Since campus is built into a hill, there are a few bits that are marked as step-free that I think would be difficult to manage in a wheelchair alone--specifically the marked incline next to where it says "Canada Copse", which is the forest path. This serves as a shortcut to the library, but you can get there by following the path to the Student Union and then going up past the academic buildings to Founders and EWD. It is a longer route than cutting through the forest, but campus is small enough that you're never going more than a few minutes out of your way.

I would say all of Band A, including Gowar/Wedderburn, are close enough to the centre of campus that they're not bad choices at all (I was in Wedderburn in my first year, and it's only an extra 2 minutes or so into class compared to Tuke/Butler/Williamson)--but it will also depend on the course you're looking at! Most departments share rooms around, so this isn't a given, but some courses like Psychology (Wolfson Building), Music (Woodlands, across the road), Electronic Engineering (Shilling Building), Biology (Bourne Building), Physics (Horton/Tolansky) and the Humanities (International Building) have general bases where it's reasonable to assume you'll be spending some time in there -- so that might impact the accom you end up applying for for practicality!
Original post by octo
Hey guys!

Since open days and applicant days have been postponed indefinitely, I thought this might be a decent idea. If you have any questions about Royal Holloway -- whether you're year 12 or 13 or just bored -- ask me any questions you have! about RHUL, the local area, the course, what I had for breakfast, whatever. When I was looking around at universities, I really appreciated these threads -- so I think it's only fair to give back at a time like this.

A little about me: I'm 21, and I'm in my third year studying BA English and Creative Writing. I've lived in Wedderburn, off-campus in Englefield Green, and in a shared/twin room in Founders.

Have at it! I'm happy to help as much as I possibly can. <3

Hi, I am planning to apply for postgraduate in September 2021 in RHUL. I have a question regarding the Accommodation. I have seen from their accommodation policy to pay the fees termly. Is it possible to pay the fees monthly rather than termly. Will university consider this option? Kindly, do let me know. Thank you.
When is move-in day?
Hi! I'm returning as a second-year student in September. I am on the waiting list for student accom but not sure if I will get any. Would you recommend the podium or the pad? Really not sure where to live. Thanks!
What is the back gate you mentioned whilst living at Wedderburn
Reply 175
Original post by timesofbame
Hi! I'm returning as a second-year student in September. I am on the waiting list for student accom but not sure if I will get any. Would you recommend the podium or the pad? Really not sure where to live. Thanks!

I've never been inside the pad or podium but Hox Park is really nice - it's in a quiet area compared to the pad/podium, which are on the main road. It's a 25 minute walk (or free shuttle bus) to campus though. There's also a new private halls on Harvest Road called The Garage.

(And if you don't mind living with other people, there's a rhul housemating group on Facebook)
Original post by octo
Hey guys!

Since open days and applicant days have been postponed indefinitely, I thought this might be a decent idea. If you have any questions about Royal Holloway -- whether you're year 12 or 13 or just bored -- ask me any questions you have! about RHUL, the local area, the course, what I had for breakfast, whatever. When I was looking around at universities, I really appreciated these threads -- so I think it's only fair to give back at a time like this.

A little about me: I'm 21, and I'm in my third year studying BA English and Creative Writing. I've lived in Wedderburn, off-campus in Englefield Green, and in a shared/twin room in Founders.

Hey, I'm thinking of applying to Royal Holloway and I'm interested in doing BA English, I was just wondering how you found your course, is it challenging? What did you enjoy the most about your course? Are the teaching staff friendly? Basically just anything about your experience studying English :smile:
Hi, I got an offer from Royal Holloway of ABB, but they also sent an email stating that even if I was one grade off I would still be guaranteed a place. Will those conditions still apply if I put Royal Holloway as my insurance choice?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I got an offer from Royal Holloway of ABB, but they also sent an email stating that even if I was one grade off I would still be guaranteed a place. Will those conditions still apply if I put Royal Holloway as my insurance choice?

I think it'll still apply. I achieved below my original offer of ABB and was given a place so you should be fine, generally speaking
Original post by octo
Hey guys!

When I went to the open day at Royal Holloway I went round Egham and it doesn't have a lot to offer, is this a negative of your uni experience or do you find that going to Windsor or London makes up for Egham ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending