The Student Room Group

I found out my car was declared by insurance total loss after I bought it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Cristian130
I told you the garage said the car is dangerous to drive mate. So, should I call them liars too??
Who need to inspect the car to give me an full report so I would know if is roadworthy or unroadworthy if the garage can't decide that?
I drove the car home by signature.
How can I proof is unroadworthy if the garage have no right and the insurance engineer too. What makes a car unroadworthy in your opinion??

For all you know, they're saying that to get some money out of you. By all accounts you've already been taken advantage of once.....

Get the vehicle MOTd. Does it pass? Good. It's roadworthy.

What do you mean you "drove it home by signature"? That makes no sense. An unroadworthy vehicle cannot be driven on the public road.
Original post by StriderHort
Just as an aside, your English is very poor and near indecipherable at times which is making this pretty frustrating for all. This would likely be a serious obstacle to any claim you would make. If £700-800 is nothing to you then I honestly suggest the services of an interpreter/communicator and a lawyer rather than unproductively bickering here.

You right that mate, my English is not that good and I never said it is.
But when you lie about a good you sell and you keep lying again and again till you can't really don't know what to say anymore is bad.

Original post by IWMTom
For all you know, they're saying that to get some money out of you. By all accounts you've already been taken advantage of once.....

Get the vehicle MOTd. Does it pass? Good. It's roadworthy.

What do you mean you "drove it home by signature"? That makes no sense. An unroadworthy vehicle cannot be driven on the public road.

MOT doesn't count in this moment.
Only if they take off the front bumper to see the structural body and front reinforcement.
Reply 82
You right that mate, my English is not that good and I never said it is.
But when you lie about a good you sell and you keep lying again and again till you can't really don't know what to say anymore is bad.

MOT doesn't count in this moment.
Only if they take off the front bumper to see the structural body and front reinforcement.

If it passes an MOT, you're going to have a very hard time proving it's unroadworthy, given an MOT pass indicates the vehicle is roadworthy at the time of the test......
Original post by IWMTom
If it passes an MOT, you're going to have a very hard time proving it's unroadworthy, given an MOT pass indicates the vehicle is roadworthy at the time of the test......

I know that, but an MOT tester will never take off the bumpers off the cars to inspect the front reinforcements and other elements that need attention.
They inspect the engines,brakes,electronic systems,etc. The engine is working great, I never said i have problem with it. So they can’t help me by inspecting the rest of the body car.
Reply 84
I know that, but an MOT tester will never take off the bumpers off the cars to inspect the front reinforcements and other elements that need attention.
They inspect the engines,brakes,electronic systems,etc. The engine is working great, I never said i have problem with it. So they can’t help me by inspecting the rest of the body car.

That's the very point I'm making..... it will pass an MOT, so it is roadworthy...........

:facepalm:
Reply 85
The thing I find strange is why you would pay £10k for a car that has been marked as cat N, without at least getting it properly inspected?
Original post by Talon
The thing I find strange is why you would pay £10k for a car that has been marked as cat N, without at least getting it properly inspected?

Because i bought it in January in pandemic, 50% of the garages we’re closed and I wanted to keep distance because of this virus, my immunity is poor and I was afraid to get the virus, that’s why I bought the car too, I wanted to keep me away from public transports. So yea, is my mistake i trusted the man and he literally sold me a pice of junk.
I’m not ok with people lying about goods after you still ask information about the car. If the court will find him guilty of selling goods not as described I will not do the same mistake to buy from private. I don’t know what I was thinking to trust people on my money, next time I will put more money and go in dealership to get one verified as new.
Original post by IWMTom
That's the very point I'm making..... it will pass an MOT, so it is roadworthy...........

:facepalm:

So what I should do it car now I this condition?
Who can came at my house and make a real inspection and tell me if the car need attention like the garage told me, or they can take it to garage for a structural inspection. Who can do that?
Because i bought it in January in pandemic, 50% of the garages we’re closed and I wanted to keep distance because of this virus, my immunity is poor and I was afraid to get the virus, that’s why I bought the car too, I wanted to keep me away from public transports. So yea, is my mistake i trusted the man and he literally sold me a pice of junk.
I’m not ok with people lying about goods after you still ask information about the car. If the court will find him guilty of selling goods not as described I will not do the same mistake to buy from private. I don’t know what I was thinking to trust people on my money, next time I will put more money and go in dealership to get one verified as new.

I hate to break it to you, but 'dealers' often aren't any better. (This is why i know how precise you need to be in your complaints btw). Best bet is to pay all/some by Credit, as you are then covered by FAR stronger protections, ie the credit card co will reimburse you and fight your corner if the merchant won't play fair.

As said, I do basically believe you have some grounds for a claim against the seller, but I think you'll struggle to GET your day in court (we're looking at 2 year wait for crown cases anyway), also need to point out that by the time any court date came, the vehicle will have been in your ownership for quite a while which complicates things.
Reply 89
So what I should do it car now I this condition?
Who can came at my house and make a real inspection and tell me if the car need attention like the garage told me, or they can take it to garage for a structural inspection. Who can do that?

You can pay about £250 for a full RAC/AA inspection, but it's still not going to help you make a claim; anything they pick up on could have just as easily been a result of your incident with a deer.
Original post by IWMTom
You can pay about £250 for a full RAC/AA inspection, but it's still not going to help you make a claim; anything they pick up on could have just as easily been a result of your incident with a deer.

Yup, What would possibly help is confirmation from the Mini Cooper dealer that there was signs of impact damage when it was brought in previously... getting them to supply that in writing is another matter though. (Although i'm already surprised they were willing to discuss another customers invoices)
Original post by IWMTom

That is my incident with the deer, a cracked grill nothing else. This minor incident can’t do interior damage to that proportion that can bend front reinforcement and make holes in radiator and other metal parts.
That is my incident with the deer, a cracked grill nothing else. This minor incident can’t do interior damage to that proportion that can bend front reinforcement and make holes in radiator and other metal parts.

Oh yeah I forgot, you also crashed the car. The chances of any sort of claim are starting to look v remote again as you can't expect them to accept the car back at it's stated value now.
Yup, What would possibly help is confirmation from the Mini Cooper dealer that there was signs of impact damage when it was brought in previously... getting them to supply that in writing is another matter though. (Although i'm already surprised they were willing to discuss another customers invoices)

I already ask them to tell me but they can’t tell me more because of GDPR. The only things that they disclosure it was that with headlamps, when the seller told me he changed them at Mini and they told me he didn’t. So that’s a big lie. And I found the real invoice in the mini secret compartment, it seems he denied the replacement, so I have a real proof now. I will try with the rest to have more proof in the court.
Reply 94

Not always the case. There can frequently be hidden damage behind bumpers. Plastic flexes. Metal not quite.
Oh yeah I forgot, you also crashed the car. The chances of any sort of claim are starting to look v remote again as you can't expect them to accept the car back at it's stated value now.

Yeaaaahhh that's a big point that doesn't seem to get mentioned much...
I already ask them to tell me but they can’t tell me more because of GDPR. The only things that they disclosure it was that with headlamps, when the seller told me he changed them at Mini and they told me he didn’t. So that’s a big lie. And I found the real invoice in the mini secret compartment, it seems he denied the replacement, so I have a real proof now. I will try with the rest to have more proof in the court.

As far as I can tell the only actual tangible thing you could attempt to go to court over was this "lie" about the headlights, but I wouldn't be surprised if you just misunderstood him.

On one hand, that might count. I'm assuming at 10k we're talking about a pretty new Mini here? not long out of warranty? The fact that both headlights have cracked mountings would, to me, be evidence the car had likely been involved in a collision, possibly not absolute proof, but strong probability.

Have you actually SPOKE to the seller at any point since btw? For one thing you need to give them all opportunities to respond and make things right before you initiate court action. Personally I'd have turned up at the door by now, friendly and smiling, hopeful we can resolve this amicably.

If it wasn’t that deer I never found out the car had a incident. The grille was replaced.
Reply 97
If it wasn’t that deer I never found out the car had a incident. The grille was replaced.

You probably shouldn't say that in your claim!
On one hand, that might count. I'm assuming at 10k we're talking about a pretty new Mini here? not long out of warranty? The fact that both headlights have cracked mountings would, to me, be evidence the car had likely been involved in a collision, possibly not absolute proof, but strong probability.

Have you actually SPOKE to the seller at any point since btw? For one thing you need to give them all opportunities to respond and make things right before you initiate court action. Personally I'd have turned up at the door by now, friendly and smiling, hopeful we can resolve this amicably.

Yes I did call him and I told that he need to take the car back and refund me.
Of course he don't want that because we talk here about 10K, and I told him all the problem that I found out the car has and i ask him why he lied me. He didn't said much at the phone and I ask him again why he lied about headlamps the he said he changed because Mini
Cooper told me you didn't and I have the proof in my hand. He block himself and didn't say much because he knows that he fk up really bad by lying.
Yes is a Mini 2016 F55 automatic chilly pack. The engine still in guarantee but I don't know after cat N if still stand.
Original post by IWMTom
You probably shouldn't say that in your claim!

Why, if they will ask me where I had that incident I don't have nothing to hide because no one got hurt and the deer run off. The damage of the car was insignificant and the insurance was announced about it. They called me and mail me as well with the proof the car is cat N and my accident with the deer has nothing to do with those bend parts from the car, those are from a previous accident and the car need to be repaired to the highest quality to be safe.

Quick Reply

Latest