The Student Room Group

change of name

so im changing name by deed poll.

but its asking for one of the following which as the new name: bank statement, drivers licence, utility bill

but how can i get one of those with the new name when it usually requires u to show them your new passport first for verification

Scroll to see replies

BRO WHAT BRO WHAT ..... I- driver licence
Reply 2
Original post by Frank Peters

but its asking for one of the following which as the new name: bank statement, drivers licence, utility bill

but how can i get one of those with the new name when it usually requires u to show them your new passport first for verification

Why are you changing your name?
Reply 3

Be specific. Who is asking you for those documents?
bank statement, drivers licence, utility bill

It usually requires u to show them your new passport first for verification

I have all 3 of those and have never had my own passport.

Most banks will accept either just the deed poll or the statutory declaration alone, either one should be sufficient. You can then can get a statement under your new name to prove the link between both names (unless you don't have a bank account). I'm pretty sure the DVLA only need the deed poll as well, you'll need to fill out a new D1 form under your new name.
Original post by IWMTom
Be specific. Who is asking you for those documents?

The GOV.UK website when I was doing it online, told me I need one of those letters, my deed poll and also my old passport(I have this)

However, How can I get a bank statement with my new name if the bank would ask for an updated passport as proof
Original post by RedGiant
Most banks will accept either just the deed poll or the statutory declaration alone, either one should be sufficient. You can then can get a statement under your new name to prove the link between both names (unless you don't have a bank account). I'm pretty sure the DVLA only need the deed poll as well, you'll need to fill out a new D1 form under your new name.

aaa okay thank you!!! I'll do that
Do you think it matters how long I've had the new name on the bank statement for? I need to change my name quickly on my passport because I dont want my old name on my degree certificate :biggrin: and its march already
Original post by Kerzen
Why are you changing your name?

being a fugitive and running away....... LOL nah, I prefer my nickname that I've always used, and I want that name on my degree certificate and for the rest of my life :smile:
Reply 9
The GOV.UK website when I was doing it online, told me I need one of those letters, my deed poll and also my old passport(I have this)

However, How can I get a bank statement with my new name if the bank would ask for an updated passport as proof

Um, no you don't. Where on the website did you see this requirement?

Are you sure they're not asking for these things in your existing name? That would make far more sense.
Original post by IWMTom
Um, no you don't. Where on the website did you see this requirement?

attached an image
Original post by StriderHort
Are you sure they're not asking for these things in your existing name? That would make far more sense.

i attached an image from gov.uk
i attached an image from gov.uk

Could you link me to the page? I'm not keen on attachments tbh.

I've had a skim over the gov.uk pages but not seeing any requirement for these, if anything they sound keen on you writing it up yourself and not bothering them.
Reply 14
attached an image

Oh you're talking about a passport application, not a driving licence? Why's this been posted in Cars and Motoring then?
Reply 15
Switch a utility bill to be in your new name and use that. You don't need a passport to pay for electricity, gas, internet etc. Also a bank statement would do, and the bank should just require the deed poll.
Reply 16

https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll
Original post by StriderHort
Could you link me to the page? I'm not keen on attachments tbh.

I've had a skim over the gov.uk pages but not seeing any requirement for these, if anything they sound keen on you writing it up yourself and not bothering them.

here 70047732-e87a-4fa3-b72f-7edfdbd2abfe.jpg
Reply 18
That page is for when people are applying for a new passport, though, not for when they are changing their name.

When you look at the guidance on changing names, which of the appropriate steps have you taken already?

I'm surprised that you are going to all this trouble, to be honest.

https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll
Reply 19
aaa okay thank you!!! I'll do that
Do you think it matters how long I've had the new name on the bank statement for? I need to change my name quickly on my passport because I dont want my old name on my degree certificate :biggrin: and its march already

If you want the University to issue the certificate to a name which isn't the one which you used when you registered for your degree, you would be well advised to ask them what they need in terms of documentation to do that.

Quick Reply