The Student Room Group

Really sensitive to light?

post removed
(edited 3 years ago)
yes
Sensitivity to light can be due to many things, including medication so that's something to consider. You can have migraine like symptoms without the pain too. If you're concerned, you should always talk to your doctor.
Reply 3
Definitely speak to your GP, also keep a headache diary, note if things change (improve or get worse) and what you did differently. Describe the pain and where it is. Talk about any other symptoms you might have.

If you have questions, I'm open to trying to help. I have chronic migraines with auras.
Reply 4
For me this is actually a tricky question to answer.

My neurologist said that whilst my aura symptoms are also found in some of my other conditions, so when they worsen I am said to be having an aura (my neurologist works in a tertiary care headache service). The symptoms for me typically are visual disturbances including after-images, extremely bad double vision, and spots of bright/sparkly light, as well as severe vertigo and dizziness, more difficulty with speech, pins and needles and worsening of weakness in one side of my body, poor coordination. When the aura phase has finished, the visual issues tend to subside (aside from the double vision), and the other symptoms of the aura stay as they are always present in varying degrees regardless of when I'm going into a migraine or not (I have a constant daily headache also, lol, brains are so complicated). When I am in the "attack phase" of the migraine, I have severe light sensitivity and sound sensitivity also, as well as worsening of nausea (I have nausea all the time, it's horrible) and vomitting, along side severe uptick head pain. As I said, I have the vast majority of these symptoms day to day anyway, with at least some part of the day taken up by the more intense versions due to the auras/migraines themselves, my migraines are pretty tricky to explain. :redface: Part of the problem with chronic migraines for me is I have them everyday and the other conditions with similar-ish issues, it's hard to know where they end and where they start. The separating factor is mostly the uptick in headache intensity and the weird visual issues during the aura, that's when I know I need to go and lay down and wait it out.

As you can see though, it has pretty wide ranging effects.

Most people when they think of a migraine aura they think of strange visual issues, but it can be so much more than that!

Hope this made sense. :colondollar:
Reply 5
They are yes. :redface: thank you.
I hope you are able to get help for whatever you're dealing with, not everyone with migraines has auras, and not everyone has migraines chronically either. There are a lot of treatments out there to try as well. Hope you feel better soon.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest