The Student Room Group

Southampton Medicine (BM4 / BM5 / BM6) 2021 Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emmab13
Are you a BM4 or BM5 candidate?
Let's just say I've done it once and it's not an experience I would like to repeat at 23

Understandable. I’m BM5, and I was only asking because Idrk what halls are like + I’m international so I’m just super anxious about moving into halls haha
Reply 21
Original post by siarc
There are quite a few decent flats for sale in Southampton. I've seen several people looking at buying.

I'd definitely contemplate that, but I have no idea where abouts we'll be based. Does anyone know where the majority of non-placement teaching occurs?

It’ll be at high field campus or Southampton general
Hospital :smile: portswood is a good area to live for both of these
I think the clinical base for BM4 is in Winchester and Basingstoke in later years.. teaching mostly at highfield.
Original post by theanimumonsieur
Understandable. I’m BM5, and I was only asking because Idrk what halls are like + I’m international so I’m just super anxious about moving into halls haha

That's fair enough- in my experience halls was a good experience and as a first year it is the best place to be. I wouldn't be too anxious, everyone will be feeling the same. Good luck
I was thinking about sharing a house/flat with some other BM4 people. Anyone else thinking the same?
Original post by Lucychapple
I was thinking about sharing a house/flat with some other BM4 people. Anyone else thinking the same?

I would be up for this! Better start looking soon, so much to do before september haha!!
Does anyone know when the course starts?
Original post by Lucychapple
Does anyone know when the course starts?

On my confirmation email (received at 18:03 today) it said they anticipate the faculty induction will be during Fresher’s Week (week commencing 20th September) but that they’ll give us more detailed dates and times closer to the start of term.
So the course itself will probably start either that week or the following week (27th September) 😊
Original post by Harriet_98
On my confirmation email (received at 18:03 today) it said they anticipate the faculty induction will be during Fresher’s Week (week commencing 20th September) but that they’ll give us more detailed dates and times closer to the start of term.
So the course itself will probably start either that week or the following week (27th September) 😊

Thank you!!
Does anyone have access to a course overview in calendar format for either BM4 (preferably) or BM5? Here's an example of what I'm looking for from another uni:
https://www.gla.ac.uk/media/Media_714917_smxx.pdf
I can't find this anywhere online for Southampton but I was wondering if anyone has found it or if any current students have it. It doesn't need to be for next year specifically, I just would love a general overview of when would we do what. My main question is what time of the year is the 8 week elective in year 5? I'm also wondering if BM4 students have different term dates to BM5 students.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Any graduates/mature student on the BM5 firming?? X
Original post by jrooney1993
This is something that really baffles me about TSR. I’m sure @ecolier could shed some light on it - I’ve been wanting to make some sort of group for offer holders (on f*****ok or something) but I couldn’t handle the heat of one of those “guys I’m so disappointed” messages.

As much as I trust that you guys are all adults, we can't have one rule for your group and another rule for e.g. the undergrads.

Plus, if you are allowed one - then who knows who's going to be joining. We can't verify who makes them and who joins them?

Finally, it's a TSR rule and it's not mine. Feel free to raise it at https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1215 to the actual people running the forums.

Post originally created by ecolier.
Reply 32
I applied for deferred entry - I’ll message you and tell you what I know!
Reply 33
I actually can’t work out how to message you (sorry!) please could you message me to start the convo
Anyone looking at private hall studios? I am tempted as I like my privacy and not a big drinker but am worried about isolating myself and never leaving one room ? If anyone has any experience with this it would be much appreciated :smile:
Original post by Shaky2017
Anyone looking at private hall studios? I am tempted as I like my privacy and not a big drinker but am worried about isolating myself and never leaving one room ? If anyone has any experience with this it would be much appreciated :smile:

Idk which programme you're on but if it's any consolation I'm not a big drinker either (I'm in my final year of undergrad and got a place on BM4) but in my experience people don't care - if they do then they aren't worth spending time with anyway. At university people (sometimes) start to act like adults and therefore aren't so shallow as to have a go at you for not wanting to drink. Be yourself and stick to your guns and you'll end up with the right people!
agree with this. I cycle between loving the pints & being a sworn teetotaller, so I’ve experienced the pain of being judged unduly for not drinking.

As much as I’m looking forward to having a few beers with my new BM4, BM5, BM6 colleagues I’ll be getting rounds for everyone regardless if it’s a double G&T or a Diet Coke. No pressure either way @Shaky2017 😁
Reply 37

I've been looking at all possible accom. options too, including private studios, and that has also been my worry! I'm going to be a fair bit older than most people so just trying to find the best option :-)
Thanks guys :smile: I’m final year undergrad going to BM4. I think I might go for studio anyway as I’m quite sociable naturally and think if I want to meet people being in a studio won’t make a big difference, especially with how close nit they run the BM4.

I was sober for one of my 4 years of uni to focus on sports and also just because I wanted to, and same as others have said, no one cared, and I still had a pretty fun and sociable year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending