The Student Room Group

The police really don’t help themselves.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by the beer
How about Napoleon?

Not sure anyone has ever described a dead dictator from a couple of centuries ago as a “centrist” but you do you...
Original post by Napp
Not really, unless you'd care to poit be in the direction of some 'extreme centrists'?

This guy
Screenshot_2021-03-19-23-15-25-09.jpg
On a serious note, though I think that centrists can have some 'extreme' policies and can in theory be just as unpleasant as the far left and far right can be my disagreement with the Horseshoe meme is more that the Far Right and the Far Left are ideologically distinct. The problem is more to do with the left/right spectrum being insufficient to explain certain phenomena. Its basically a lazy way for liberals to accuse anyone they dont like of being Hitler,

Also the whole idea of taking a middle ground position is a fallacy. The answer to whether all roads should be privatised or nationalised isnt neccessarily that some roads should be Privatised!

One point on Communism too:
As I said to that Antifa troll guy, i think communism will usually lead to some form of Stalinism which is closer to the Far right than the Far left. However that doesn't mean that the far left is Stalinism (but that is a likley consequence of it)- In the same way that if a Militarist society invaded a pacifist society that wouldn't make pacifism militaristic.

That's why I like the 8 Values test because it accounts for these areas that the left vs right spectrum don't account for.
Reply 43
Original post by Starship Trooper
This guy
Screenshot_2021-03-19-23-15-25-09.jpg

Touché.
Original post by Starship Trooper
On a serious note, though I think that centrists can have some 'extreme' policies and can in theory be just as unpleasant as the far left and far right can be my disagreement with the Horseshoe meme is more that the Far Right and the Far Left are ideologically distinct. The problem is more to do with the left/right spectrum being insufficient to explain certain phenomena. Its basically a lazy way for liberals to accuse anyone they dont like of being Hitler,

Horseshoe theory is serious? I thought i was just a meme troll thing for the holier than thou's.
Original post by the beer
Horseshoe theory is serious? I thought i was just a meme troll thing for the holier than thou's.

Well no but s lot of otherwise sensible people believe it to be
Original post by Napp
Not sure anyone has ever described a dead dictator from a couple of centuries ago as a “centrist” but you do you...

I thought you'd like that one, i noticed you had just been likening him to Macron.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending