The Student Room Group

Life as a mature student at the university of Manchester?

I'm 26 and I'll be studying nursing at the University of Manchester. I was just wondering what life is like there for mature students, like are there societies for us and places we can go yo meet other mature students? Particularly I'm wondering about whether there are mature students who choose to live on campus because they're away from home, or is it better for mature students to rent privately? Do any mature students at the uni of Manchester have any advice for being a mature student there?
Did you do an access course?
Reply 2
Original post by Sania9518
Did you do an access course?

Yes
I'm 26 as well currently doing an Access course through the distance learning centre. I want to study nursing and Manchester is my dream uni. Howevet, I'm worried they won't accept me because I don't have a C in GCSE maths. I emailed admissions and they said you must meet the GCSE requirements. I got a D in maths. My only option is to resit the maths at my local college. Sorry for going off topic. I need advice. Can someone help me?
Any help would be appreciated.
Any help would be appreciated.

Spoiler

If you don't mind me asking, what provider did you do your access course with?
I'm 26 as well currently doing an Access course through the distance learning centre. I want to study nursing and Manchester is my dream uni. Howevet, I'm worried they won't accept me because I don't have a C in GCSE maths. I emailed admissions and they said you must meet the GCSE requirements. I got a D in maths. My only option is to resit the maths at my local college. Sorry for going off topic. I need advice. Can someone help me?

Hi, sounds like you need to do the GCSE as the uni has said you must meet the GCSE requirements. I know it is frustrating but sounds like the admissions department were very clear. Nurses have to be comfortable using maths and the GCSE Maths is a way for you to demonstrate your competence and your determination to become a nurse.
Good luck :smile:
Reply 8

Yeah I think you have to definitely get your C in maths, it's a requirement for the NMC
Reply 9
If you don't mind me asking, what provider did you do your access course with?

I'm just at a local college i n my city
Reply 10
Original post by lyonbabe
I'm 26 and I'll be studying nursing at the University of Manchester. I was just wondering what life is like there for mature students, like are there societies for us and places we can go yo meet other mature students? Particularly I'm wondering about whether there are mature students who choose to live on campus because they're away from home, or is it better for mature students to rent privately? Do any mature students at the uni of Manchester have any advice for being a mature student there?

I study at Manchester, started when I was 27. There is a mature student group chat on WhatsApp with undergrads and postgrads, I think there's a FB page for them. It's not particularly active though, but I assume that will change when lockdown eases further.

As with everything at Manchester uni you get out what you put in. I wouldn't worry about it though. You'll mainly be with 18,19,20 year olds (can't speak for nursing) but in my experience most of them are pretty mature anyway. I can't say I've ever had issues getting on with anyone.

In terms of accomodation I only know mature students who rent privately, I don't know any who live at halls. That's not to say it's not done, I just personally don't know any.

My advice would be to not see yourself as a mature student. You may have more life experience than most there, but that doesn't translate academically, be open to learning from other students. Most will have just spent two years cramming for a levels and will know more than you in certain areas. If you have any more questions send me a message.
Reply 11
Original post by Jacal
I study at Manchester, started when I was 27. There is a mature student group chat on WhatsApp with undergrads and postgrads, I think there's a FB page for them. It's not particularly active though, but I assume that will change when lockdown eases further.

As with everything at Manchester uni you get out what you put in. I wouldn't worry about it though. You'll mainly be with 18,19,20 year olds (can't speak for nursing) but in my experience most of them are pretty mature anyway. I can't say I've ever had issues getting on with anyone.

In terms of accomodation I only know mature students who rent privately, I don't know any who live at halls. That's not to say it's not done, I just personally don't know any.

My advice would be to not see yourself as a mature student. You may have more life experience than most there, but that doesn't translate academically, be open to learning from other students. Most will have just spent two years cramming for a levels and will know more than you in certain areas. If you have any more questions send me a message.

Hey thanks for the info, I was wondering if accommodation wise, mature students use providers like spare room and right move? I'm leaning more towards private housing now, as I think it's definitely a better idea.
Original post by Jacal

@Jacal
Hello! I've been lecturing mature students for the last 10 years, and I can say that many have really appreciated WhatsApp groups and facebook groups out there. They are a brilliant source of information and help people fit in. 99% of the time they are fantastic, on rare occasions though bad advice (usually around Harvard or APA referencing can spread quickly) so be careful with that one

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Original post by lyonbabe

Also holding an offer for Manchester in Sep, bumping to see if anyone else has any advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending