The Student Room Group

Only put on weight on my stomach 😭

I’ve been exercising regularly since last September and have recently, started eating in a calorie deficit reducing the amount of unhealthy foods I eat.
I can feel that I’ve lost weight around my bum and legs but my stomach still feels huge. I hate my body especially when I see how have a flat stomach whilst I have a fat stomach and a flat bum
Even though I’ve been working out for a while I haven’t significantly lost weight
My scale doesn’t work but the last time I weighed myself I was 85kg and I’m 5’7
I hate my body so much and it’s so hard to lose weight even though I’ve been trying to for so long
(edited 3 years ago)
First of all don't hate your body. It is your body and should be your temple. Secondly, you must understand that everyone has a different body structure and type so don't compare yourself to others, social media is a trap for this. Thirdly, maybe your body is lacking in certain nutrition, are you eating enough protein? Are you lactose intolerant? is it bloating? Finally, if you have tried modifying your diet, then maybe a nutritionist or dietician would be helpful for you because they will tailor meals and diets for you that will help you reach your goal. Also, there is no such thing as 'target exercises' so continue with the exercises you are doing, just focusing on the core or ab workouts may help but really, any form of exercise works all different parts of the body and there is no way of just targeting one area. I hope this helps, I have a sport/science physiotherapy background so I hope this is useful for you.
m8 take a pregnacy test :eek:
How do you know you’re in a calorie deficit? Do you track and weigh everything? If you are then it will eventually go. You can’t target where you lose fat from first, it’s genetic. But if you lose weight then you will lose stomach fat once you’ve lost enough.
Original post by twentystraveller
First of all don't hate your body. It is your body and should be your temple. Secondly, you must understand that everyone has a different body structure and type so don't compare yourself to others, social media is a trap for this. Thirdly, maybe your body is lacking in certain nutrition, are you eating enough protein? Are you lactose intolerant? is it bloating? Finally, if you have tried modifying your diet, then maybe a nutritionist or dietician would be helpful for you because they will tailor meals and diets for you that will help you reach your goal. Also, there is no such thing as 'target exercises' so continue with the exercises you are doing, just focusing on the core or ab workouts may help but really, any form of exercise works all different parts of the body and there is no way of just targeting one area. I hope this helps, I have a sport/science physiotherapy background so I hope this is useful for you.

I have an iron and vitamin d deficiency but I’ve been taking tablets for those for a while
Yep I’m always bloated and even more so when I started eating healthier
I hate my body shape I just wish I was blessed with an hour glass figure
I can’t wear certain clothes because of how horrible my body looks in them
Yep I track everything on my fitness pal
Reply 5
Original post by Nutritionist
How do you know you’re in a calorie deficit? Do you track and weigh everything? If you are then it will eventually go. You can’t target where you lose fat from first, it’s genetic. But if you lose weight then you will lose stomach fat once you’ve lost enough.

To enter into a calorie deficit you do not necessarily need to weigh what you eat but control it, for instance reduce portion sizes and consume less calories on average. Maybe a low carb diet could work of course don't go too overboard with it because there are still benefits to consuming carbs, perhaps limit crabs without scrapping it completely. And I agree very much, you cannot determine where you lose weight it depends on your body type. Stomach fat is i think generally the last and most stubborn weight to loose. I lost more then 30 kilos over 5 to 6 months with consistently exercise.
Original post by Blue_skies124
I’ve been exercising regularly since last September and have recently, started eating in a calorie deficit reducing the amount of unhealthy foods I eat.
I can feel that I’ve lost weight around my bum and legs but my stomach still feels huge. I hate my body especially when I see how have a flat stomach whilst I have a fat stomach and a flat bum
Even though I’ve been working out for a while I haven’t significantly lost weight
My scale doesn’t work but the last time I weighed myself I was 85kg and I’m 5’7
I hate my body so much and it’s so hard to lose weight even though I’ve been trying to for so long

just saying, if you excursive regularly, then you act might not see a loss in mass, due to muscle mass having a larger weight than fat. Also, you may be paranoid about some things, don't stress yourself out
Original post by SHADOW_SCRIPT
just saying, if you excursive regularly, then you act might not see a loss in mass, due to muscle mass having a larger weight than fat. Also, you may be paranoid about some things, don't stress yourself out

My mum and sisters have the same body type so it’s probably genetics too but I just hate it
Sometimes I wish I could do that fat transfer surgery
I’ve been doing skipping workouts regularly but I miss days off when I’m on my period and a day off In the week if I feel fatigued
I can see a difference but most of it is from my legs instead of my stomach
I feel like I can’t wear anything
No DO NOT DO A FAT TRANSFER
it messes up ur life
Original post by SHADOW_SCRIPT
No DO NOT DO A FAT TRANSFER
it messes up ur life

I’d definitely go for that if I had the money or go to a gym and do weight training
I hate being an ‘apple shape’ I feel like it’s the most undesired body shape in today’s society
well go to a public free gym or an outdoor gym
Original post by FadRoble
To enter into a calorie deficit you do not necessarily need to weigh what you eat but control it, for instance reduce portion sizes and consume less calories on average. Maybe a low carb diet could work of course don't go too overboard with it because there are still benefits to consuming carbs, perhaps limit crabs without scrapping it completely. And I agree very much, you cannot determine where you lose weight it depends on your body type. Stomach fat is i think generally the last and most stubborn weight to loose. I lost more then 30 kilos over 5 to 6 months with consistently exercise.

I’m aware of this. But controlling what you eat and eating intuitively doesn’t necessarily mean you’re eating in a deficit if you underestimate calories, as may be the case with OP. Also there’s absolutely zero reason to go on a low carb diet. It’s all to do with calories, not carbs.
I’d definitely go for that if I had the money or go to a gym and do weight training
I hate being an ‘apple shape’ I feel like it’s the most undesired body shape in today’s society

That's not true. There are always going to be people out there that find all different body types attractive. I know people who really like a bigger female or some tummy.
As a female myself I don't mind if a guy has some tummy, it doesn't take away from his overall attractiveness.
Original post by sunny.side.up
That's not true. There are always going to be people out there that find all different body types attractive. I know people who really like a bigger female or some tummy.
As a female myself I don't mind if a guy has some tummy, it doesn't take away from his overall attractiveness.

I don’t think I appear overweight maybe because of my height but I feel like I can’t wear anything I’d like to wear because most of my fat is on my stomach
I can’t wear high waisted trousers and a top because it looks weird
Same I wouldn’t care but I just don’t feel confident in myself because I’m constantly hearing praises for hourglass figures and putting down apple shaped bodies
I don’t think I appear overweight maybe because of my height but I feel like I can’t wear anything I’d like to wear because most of my fat is on my stomach
I can’t wear high waisted trousers and a top because it looks weird
Same I wouldn’t care but I just don’t feel confident in myself because I’m constantly hearing praises for hourglass figures and putting down apple shaped bodies

Oh, I wasn't calling you big, just using it as an example.
See, if you don't mind a guy with a bit of pudge, why don't you think a guy won't mind yours.
They may be praised, but they really aren't as good as people make them out to be. I have an hourglass/pear shape and I don't like it one bit. I feel like my hips and chest are so big.
Original post by sunny.side.up
Oh, I wasn't calling you big, just using it as an example.
See, if you don't mind a guy with a bit of pudge, why don't you think a guy won't mind yours.
They may be praised, but they really aren't as good as people make them out to be. I have an hourglass/pear shape and I don't like it one bit. I feel like my hips and chest are so big.

Yh I personally wouldn’t care as long as they cared about their health to be honest
But I feel like there’s a higher expectation for women but maybe that’s just in my mind
I’d love to have that shape because you can literally wear anything without looking out of place
If I wore a top and high waist trousers my lower stomach area would show and my hip dips and flat bum would make me look disproportionate
Yh I personally wouldn’t care as long as they cared about their health to be honest
But I feel like there’s a higher expectation for women but maybe that’s just in my mind
I’d love to have that shape because you can literally wear anything without looking out of place
If I wore a top and high waist trousers my lower stomach area would show and my hip dips and flat bum would make me look disproportionate

Other people feel the same way!
Not always.
That's not necessarily true. My hips are big so if I wear jeans and an oversized shirt, I like huge. Only tight clothes look good, really. And I don't like wearing tight clothes all the time. Most of the time I just like sweats.

Quick Reply

Latest