The Student Room Group

My Academic Ghost Train (warning: mentions of *CHEMISTRY*)

Scroll to see replies

Wednesday and I am very proud of myself today.
I literally only had 1 lesson today which was chem first thing this morning. I sat on a chair in the sixth form common room for too long waiting for mum to pick me up at lunch. I was actually so bored it was unbelievable.
I got three paragraphs done of the first draft of my magazine article this afternoon and boy am I proud of myself. That is 5 paragraphs in total now and 923 words out of a 1500 word limit. I don't know how I am gonna fit all of it in that amount of words! There is just way too much to write about that I can go on forever.
It is all about the psychology of prey and predator species in zoos which can be counted as a research project in my awards programme with medic mentor.
It is a lot of work though and you really have to have the drive to keep going with it otherwise you will just look at it one day and go 'I really don't feel like doing that today' starting a cycle of procrastination.
But this article should also work in my favour as I would love to be a conservation vet when I am older so this is just the kind of stuff that I should be looking at.
Although, we can't forget all of the other stuff that I have to get done as well such as the countless amounts of essays for the awards programme, the reflections due for the 28th March, the VLP ethics work due for the 20th March, my application for the VMS in May on top of all of my school work. This is gonna be a long few months but I mean, it will all be worth it in the end when I feel the sense of achievement hopefully in getting the grades I need (which is AAA :zomg:) and then all of this extra work will hopefully land me in the vet school that I would like to get into (Bristol)
As always, here to help if you need me, always appreciate the views and gn (:
Original post by Maisielytical
Yeh lol. Like a list of all the topics in the curriculum of that subject

Oh okay, thank you. I'll see if I can find one for the sciences. Does it need to be detailed or can it just be brief (e.g Cell Biology, Organisation etc etc)?
something like this?

or some thing like this?
Wednesday and I am very proud of myself today.
I literally only had 1 lesson today which was chem first thing this morning. I sat on a chair in the sixth form common room for too long waiting for mum to pick me up at lunch. I was actually so bored it was unbelievable.
I got three paragraphs done of the first draft of my magazine article this afternoon and boy am I proud of myself. That is 5 paragraphs in total now and 923 words out of a 1500 word limit. I don't know how I am gonna fit all of it in that amount of words! There is just way too much to write about that I can go on forever.
It is all about the psychology of prey and predator species in zoos which can be counted as a research project in my awards programme with medic mentor.
It is a lot of work though and you really have to have the drive to keep going with it otherwise you will just look at it one day and go 'I really don't feel like doing that today' starting a cycle of procrastination.
But this article should also work in my favour as I would love to be a conservation vet when I am older so this is just the kind of stuff that I should be looking at.
Although, we can't forget all of the other stuff that I have to get done as well such as the countless amounts of essays for the awards programme, the reflections due for the 28th March, the VLP ethics work due for the 20th March, my application for the VMS in May on top of all of my school work. This is gonna be a long few months but I mean, it will all be worth it in the end when I feel the sense of achievement hopefully in getting the grades I need (which is AAA :zomg:) and then all of this extra work will hopefully land me in the vet school that I would like to get into (Bristol)
As always, here to help if you need me, always appreciate the views and gn (:

Well done, you're getting through your article bit by bit - I think a tip to fit the word count would be find words that you can shorten by looking up synonyms but other than that maybe try to be a bit brief in certain things. Good luck with the remaining 2 paragraphs :biggrin:.
Original post by StarshineDiamond
something like this?

or some thing like this?

something more like the second one and if you want to let me know what you are struggling with I can help you in anyway I can. I think I still have all of my chem and bio stuff from GCSE and I still have a bit of the old physics knowledge but can't remember as much about that as I can the other two. So if you want any help, justly me know.
Today I have just had the most boring day possible. It was exam question after exam question and I HATE exam questions.
Most of the people in my classes today weren't in because there was a medical conference thing on zoom with health professionals all day that the school set up that people that want to go into the medical pathway went to instead of school. I am also on the medical pathway but my bio teacher set up a different thing where we attend vet lectures from vet professionals that me and my other friend that wants to be a vet. The next one of them isn't until April and w only ever have one a day so we never get to miss a whole day which has left me kinda ticked off but oh well. It is what it is.
started one of the 3 paragraphs that I have left on my article and got about half way through it until I gave up. I mean, as long as I do at least something every day, then we will still be in a routine.
I guess that I can say that after today, I am an expert on the a level gas exchange curriculum for fish and insects because of all the dreaded exam questions and that is about the only solid thing I can say that I achieved today as I have had no motivation what so ever to do anything. Study in my frees? Nope. Study in my obligatory study? Nope. Actually bother to do my hw? Nope. Not even do a bit of study at home? Hell no. Tbh, I just need a good kick up the backside if this happens too regularly but tonight my mum says that I probably deserved to take a night/day off so I guess I am alright with that.
I was soooooooo exhausted yesterday, it was unreal. I literally ate my dinner and then watched an hour of RuPaul's drag race on the tv in my bedroom and fell asleep with the tv still on. Luckily, my tv has a function where if you don't press a button on the remote in a certain amount of time, it turns off so you don't waste electricity. I think I slept for 15 hours haha
I don't know what it was yesterday that made me so tired as I just had a normal day in school of 4 lessons but tbf, since I have been waking up earlier to go to school, my body has been shutting off earlier which is really good. I can now fall asleep at 11:30 which is a record!
Today has been pretty standard for a weekend. I got up and did nothing special except eat cereal and stare into space - cause we were procrastinating from doing work today :wink: - until I had to go volunteering at 3 which took me 2 hours and then just chilled and did some colouring until dinner (yes, I have the heart of a child). We then thought that it would be a good idea to watch the hunger games series on my laptop so that is what I am doing now till I fall asleep. Have a good night everyone and hope you are prepared for mother's day tomorrow!
Wow, it's been 2 days since I have posted. I have been unwell and had a massive headache. I still have it now but I didn't want anyone to think that I am dead :laugh:
I have literally slept and watched tv for the last 48 hours and it has been pure bliss. The only disadvantage has been that I couldn't really eat as it has just come back up.
I only have a half day tomorrow as well so I will be easing myself back into it. I can only start to imagine how much I have missed. You will only ever understand if you are in 6th form but it is a lot.
I am off to sleep now but everyone have a nice day tomorrow!
Wow, it's been 2 days since I have posted. I have been unwell and had a massive headache. I still have it now but I didn't want anyone to think that I am dead :laugh:
I have literally slept and watched tv for the last 48 hours and it has been pure bliss. The only disadvantage has been that I couldn't really eat as it has just come back up.
I only have a half day tomorrow as well so I will be easing myself back into it. I can only start to imagine how much I have missed. You will only ever understand if you are in 6th form but it is a lot.
I am off to sleep now but everyone have a nice day tomorrow!

Hey, I hope you recover quickly and have a nice day at school today!
Hey, I hope you recover quickly and have a nice day at school today!

Thank you very much @StarshineDiamond
Alright. First day back and let me tell you, not bad. My day was made when school finished and I got to go to the fish and chip shop on root back home to get 2 scallops. I am not fat. I know that is bad for me but I have barely kept anything down in three days so OBVIOUSLY the first thing that I am gonna do is try to eat my body weight in junk food. Oh what I would do if I did not have the restraints of a mother that wants me to have a healthy diet. Don't tell her though, she'd kill me if she knew that I went to the fish and chip shop.
My head is feeling much better now that I have just taken as many drugs in the medicine cabinet that I am allowed to take, so I managed to try and complete my hw but tomorrow is a whole new and different day, and a longer day at that considering that I only had a half day today.
I just want to make sure that I am not mad, but does anyone else have an unusual hatred for lasagne? My sister chose dinner tonight and my mum made it without me and my brother knowing. He will eat it although he isn't a fan but I despise it. Haven't eaten it in 3 years up until tonight (didn't want to do hungry though) so lucky me gets veggie burritos tomorrow. Rice, homemade beans, lettuce, guac, cheese and sour cream all wrapped up in a gluten free wrap! I am a complicated person aren't I haha.
I hope that everyone had a nice day at school today and as always, any questions or queries, pop them down below :smile:
Alright. First day back and let me tell you, not bad. My day was made when school finished and I got to go to the fish and chip shop on root back home to get 2 scallops. I am not fat. I know that is bad for me but I have barely kept anything down in three days so OBVIOUSLY the first thing that I am gonna do is try to eat my body weight in junk food. Oh what I would do if I did not have the restraints of a mother that wants me to have a healthy diet. Don't tell her though, she'd kill me if she knew that I went to the fish and chip shop.
My head is feeling much better now that I have just taken as many drugs in the medicine cabinet that I am allowed to take, so I managed to try and complete my hw but tomorrow is a whole new and different day, and a longer day at that considering that I only had a half day today.
I just want to make sure that I am not mad, but does anyone else have an unusual hatred for lasagne? My sister chose dinner tonight and my mum made it without me and my brother knowing. He will eat it although he isn't a fan but I despise it. Haven't eaten it in 3 years up until tonight (didn't want to do hungry though) so lucky me gets veggie burritos tomorrow. Rice, homemade beans, lettuce, guac, cheese and sour cream all wrapped up in a gluten free wrap! I am a complicated person aren't I haha.
I hope that everyone had a nice day at school today and as always, any questions or queries, pop them down below :smile:

nah, I wouldn't say that you're mad. I'm kinda meh with lasagne - sometimes I like it and sometimes I don't. However, I rarely eat lasagne so I would say that I'm not used to the taste nor do I favour it in any way.
Today was a bust. I hate Thursdays next to Mondays but I mean, who doesn't hate Mondays. Thursday is a busy day. 4 lessons. One free at the start of the day and one at the end. My lunch is taken up by god awful young enterprise meetings with a company filled with unwilling participants. Like we haven't even sold a product yet! It has been since September and not ONE! If I was in charge this would have been run like a military operation but here we are. No one wanted me to be in charge cause they all know I am a complete control freak. I mean, can't help who you are :laugh:
I then go home just to have to go on an Interact teams call and then have a guitar lesson after that. Only then do I eat my dinner and have to do all of my hw after dinner by which point I am really procrastinating and just end up ignoring my hw and watching netflix. Life is an unendless loop
At this point I think @StarshineDiamond is the only one that reads this blog and thank you for you for that but just kinda sad that no one else wants to take part haha. I think it is probably cause 1 - I am not funny which makes me sad cause I want to be funny but have never had the natural talent, 2 - I am probably a bit too negative. Tbh, that part was probably a given because I am a negative person and finally 3 - this is a GYG blog, I am meant Kobe talking about how people can progress in their education through my experiences which I definitely do't do. Plus, I have unconventional hours of posting.
So what I have now decided to do at the end of every post is put a little nugget of knowledge/crap that I told myself in getting through education so far. Here is todays words of wisdom:
6H2O + 6CO2 ---> C6H12O6 + 6O2
666 is the devils number 😈
Today was a bust. I hate Thursdays next to Mondays but I mean, who doesn't hate Mondays. Thursday is a busy day. 4 lessons. One free at the start of the day and one at the end. My lunch is taken up by god awful young enterprise meetings with a company filled with unwilling participants. Like we haven't even sold a product yet! It has been since September and not ONE! If I was in charge this would have been run like a military operation but here we are. No one wanted me to be in charge cause they all know I am a complete control freak. I mean, can't help who you are :laugh:
I then go home just to have to go on an Interact teams call and then have a guitar lesson after that. Only then do I eat my dinner and have to do all of my hw after dinner by which point I am really procrastinating and just end up ignoring my hw and watching netflix. Life is an unendless loop
At this point I think @StarshineDiamond is the only one that reads this blog and thank you for you for that but just kinda sad that no one else wants to take part haha. I think it is probably cause 1 - I am not funny which makes me sad cause I want to be funny but have never had the natural talent, 2 - I am probably a bit too negative. Tbh, that part was probably a given because I am a negative person and finally 3 - this is a GYG blog, I am meant Kobe talking about how people can progress in their education through my experiences which I definitely do't do. Plus, I have unconventional hours of posting.
So what I have now decided to do at the end of every post is put a little nugget of knowledge/crap that I told myself in getting through education so far. Here is todays words of wisdom:

:yum: sorry I'm the only one interacting - I mean sometimes you're funny but you tend to come across as sarcastic (at least for me anyways) which might be a form of humour but idk. Anyways, I think that people who have gyg with lots of interactions have probably been on tsr more than a few times so they've gotten to know a few or even a lot of people who can interact and just overall have conversations with but that's just an observation. Also thank you for your words of wisdom (although as a Christian I reject the devil in Jesus name :biggrin:)

For me Thursdays are meh - they're not too bad but by Thursdays I'm tired and looking forward to Friday so I can sleep. Also am I the only one that doesn't mind Mondays? Maybe it's cos I have less lessons then but I would say Tuesday or Wednesday are worse because those are when I have double lessons for like 2 or 3 subjects.
I like Wednesdays. I have a half day which means I can either come home and take a nap, finish my hw early so that I can watch the flash for the rest of the afternoon or I can walk into town with my other friends that have a half day as well and grab some food or order a takeaway and eat it in the park (obviously not at the moment cause it is cold, wet and covid but that is what we did in September).
I am kinda glad it is Friday cause it means that for the first time on a Saturday for god knows how long, i don't have any work experience or meetings to attend and I can lie in for half the day then wake up and drink iced coffee. I still gotta work cause i haven't done any of the work for the ethics pbl meeting at 4 tomorrow and I have 5-6 questions to answer on veterinary ethics and 4-5 videos to watch, and here i was thinking that maybe I could have a nice Saturday and read a book but life sucks like that.
Today was alright though. We learnt about student loans in core maths today which brought up a scintillating conversation with one of my friends, Dom. We talked about estimated costs of living in university for my 6 year vet course. It hurt our brains but we came up with a figure for about 31,000 for 6 years excluding course costs and accommodation costs (which your parents said they would pay). We also identified the factors that would effect that figure such as the amount of people you live with in your 2nd to 6th year, so how much you can split the cost of a house, where you live also effects the price that you will be paying and finally, if you ever take any trips with your uni or with your friends in those years at uni.
We the had a conversation about personal tax as we had also been learning about that. I mean I think the economy is screwing us over because we think it is all well and good, we are paying a lot less tax now that we were 20 years ago so everybody thinks that's great. WRONG! Although we are paying less tax, student loans are getting bigger and ik someone might be thinking oh its fine cause student loans were a lot less when i went to school that they are now. WRONG AGAIN! The price of course fees is going up so so are the amount of student loans that we have to take out but for those who had lower course fees and think that this doesn't affect you as much, you are also paying a higher interest on your loans. So it might not be affecting you as much as it is affecting us but you are going to have to pay more off that you would have 10 years ago.
*Pppfffffffffff* Sorry for ranting but I really just needed to get that out of my system lol. Look at me though, I as smart now :cool:. Anyway, **** went down, I slept through chemistry, a girl went to hospital then alls well that ends well when we finish psych early and start talking about the new 'super straight' term. Ik we sound like a boring bunch but I promise you we are not. We just get all philosophical on a friday cause our brains are fried. And whilst everyone is getting a break and restoring their brains over the weekend, I will be destroying min even further with vet ethics and small animal clinical work experience. Yay for me (:
And here is my smartness for the day:
If you can't think of anything else to analyse in english language, look for a 'you' and try to make up some bs about being direct
*Told u I was smart 😎
(edited 3 years ago)
:yum: sorry I'm the only one interacting - I mean sometimes you're funny but you tend to come across as sarcastic (at least for me anyways) which might be a form of humour but idk. Anyways, I think that people who have gyg with lots of interactions have probably been on tsr more than a few times so they've gotten to know a few or even a lot of people who can interact and just overall have conversations with but that's just an observation. Also thank you for your words of wisdom (although as a Christian I reject the devil in Jesus name :biggrin:)

Child of god 🙏
I like Wednesdays. I have a half day which means I can either come home and take a nap, finish my hw early so that I can watch the flash for the rest of the afternoon or I can walk into town with my other friends that have a half day as well and grab some food or order a takeaway and eat it in the park (obviously not at the moment cause it is cold, wet and covid but that is what we did in September).
I am kinda glad it is Friday cause it means that for the first time on a Saturday for god knows how long, i don't have any work experience or meetings to attend and I can lie in for half the day then wake up and drink iced coffee. I still gotta work cause i haven't done any of the work for the ethics pbl meeting at 4 tomorrow and I have 5-6 questions to answer on veterinary ethics and 4-5 videos to watch, and here i was thinking that maybe I could have a nice Saturday and read a book but life sucks like that.
Today was alright though. We learnt about student loans in core maths today which brought up a scintillating conversation with one of my friends, Dom. We talked about estimated costs of living in university for my 6 year vet course. It hurt our brains but we came up with a figure for about 31,000 for 6 years excluding course costs and accommodation costs (which your parents said they would pay). We also identified the factors that would effect that figure such as the amount of people you live with in your 2nd to 6th year, so how much you can split the cost of a house, where you live also effects the price that you will be paying and finally, if you ever take any trips with your uni or with your friends in those years at uni.
We the had a conversation about personal tax as we had also been learning about that. I mean I think the economy is screwing us over because we think it is all well and good, we are paying a lot less tax now that we were 20 years ago so everybody thinks that's great. WRONG! Although we are paying less tax, student loans are getting bigger and ik someone might be thinking oh its fine cause student loans were a lot less when i went to school that they are now. WRONG AGAIN! The price of course fees is going up so so are the amount of student loans that we have to take out but for those who had lower course fees and think that this doesn't affect you as much, you are also paying a higher interest on your loans. So it might not be affecting you as much as it is affecting us but you are going to have to pay more off that you would have 10 years ago.
*Pppfffffffffff* Sorry for ranting but I really just needed to get that out of my system lol. Look at me though, I as smart now :cool:. Anyway, **** went down, I slept through chemistry, a girl went to hospital then alls well that ends well when we finish psych early and start talking about the new 'super straight' term. Ik we sound like a boring bunch but I promise you we are not. We just get all philosophical on a friday cause our brains are fried. And whilst everyone is getting a break and restoring their brains over the weekend, I will be destroying min even further with vet ethics and small animal clinical work experience. Yay for me (:
If you can't think of anything else to analyse in english language, look for a 'you' and try to make up some bs about being direct
*Told u I was smart 😎

Would you say living from home and basically being a cheapskate would significantly decrease student loans? I would assume that most of the high costs that come with university comes from living costs and overall maintenance whilst you're there so if you basically live like you're broke all the time (which most people are) then you ought to spend less and therefore have less loans to pay. Either that or I don't fully understand how student loans work. Also, the government has been screwing us over for a long time so I'm not surprised :colonhash: Also, it's good to be philosophical once in a while - keeps you on your toes. What type of things do you do at your work experience, do you get to take care of like any animals that come in or do you just kind of monitor what the vet is doing?
*Told u I was smart 😎

I might try that english language tip in one of my assessments - though I tend to run out of time because of question 5 :frown:
Child of god 🙏

Yes :angel:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending