The Student Room Group

study help/ advice

heyyy, I’m a current year 12 student that has exams coming up! These exams are extremely important and my final grade will be based on these results!

Any advice you could give me to help improve my grade with light burning myself out, like I have been, would be much appreciated!

Thank you so much! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am in the same boat good look I am also looking for advice I am studying maths physics business I would like a*
Revise using active recall rather than doing passive activities like writing notes this means you don’t have to spend so long revising and will be less likely to burn out. Quizlet and flash cards are normally quite good for this. I would suggest deciding what tasks you want to do and divide them by how many weeks you have - so instead of spending 60 mins on exam questions for a topic do 10 minutes for 6 weeks this way when revising you flick between topics like you have to in exams, it’s more manageable and you cover more topics in the last couple weeks before the assessment (it won’t be like 4 weeks since you last looked at something when you’re in your assessment).

What subjects are you doing?
Hiiii...I am yr 13.
-Make sure to go over the areas of the topics that you need to work on not the ones you dont.

-Dont over revise...you do not want to stress yourself out because the consequences are not great! make sure to get at least 8-9hrs sleep...trust me this will make a big difference.
-Watch YouTube videos on the topic instead...these helped me much better than reading documents and stuff like that.

-Make notes and posters and stick them around your room...this has been scientifically proven to help!

-Eat snacks between study time at home or at school if you are aloud...this helped me for some reason
-Stay Motivated and Dont give up!
Your going to do amazing!! I can just sense it:smile:.
Reply 4
People who respond are god sends 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻great advice
Reply 5
Original post by Hellllpppp
Revise using active recall rather than doing passive activities like writing notes this means you don’t have to spend so long revising and will be less likely to burn out. Quizlet and flash cards are normally quite good for this. I would suggest deciding what tasks you want to do and divide them by how many weeks you have - so instead of spending 60 mins on exam questions for a topic do 10 minutes for 6 weeks this way when revising you flick between topics like you have to in exams, it’s more manageable and you cover more topics in the last couple weeks before the assessment (it won’t be like 4 weeks since you last looked at something when you’re in your assessment).

What subjects are you doing?

thank you so much!! I am studying a level law and biology as well as doing an as level for maths and a level 3 national diploma btec for psychology! I just received my grades and am doing some what okay it just I’ve lacked motivation so much and feel although I am not revising properly if that makes sense. I have done thousands of flashcards and none of them have helped which has been getting me really down because I do genuinely try and want to do well :/
Original post by azzynorton
heyyy, I’m a current year 12 student that has exams coming up! These exams are extremely important and my final grade will be based on these results!

Any advice you could give me to help improve my grade with light burning myself out, like I have been, would be much appreciated!

Thank you so much! :smile:

Past papers
Reply 7
Original post by h_katona_
Hiiii...I am yr 13.
-Make sure to go over the areas of the topics that you need to work on not the ones you dont.

-Dont over revise...you do not want to stress yourself out because the consequences are not great! make sure to get at least 8-9hrs sleep...trust me this will make a big difference.
-Watch YouTube videos on the topic instead...these helped me much better than reading documents and stuff like that.

-Make notes and posters and stick them around your room...this has been scientifically proven to help!

-Eat snacks between study time at home or at school if you are aloud...this helped me for some reason
-Stay Motivated and Dont give up!
Your going to do amazing!! I can just sense it:smile:.

Honestly thank you so much you don’t realise how helpful this is!! I will definitely keep this in mind when approaching revising again! All the best and again thank you :smile: !!
Reply 8
Original post by jimin _ angel
Past papers

I’ve tried past papers but feel although they aren’t very effective for me for some reason :/ I always end up getting more frustrated if I get a question wrong because it makes me feel worse about myself
Reply 9
I’ve tried past papers but feel although they aren’t very effective for me for some reason :/ I always end up getting more frustrated if I get a question wrong because it makes me feel worse about myself

I get this too your not alone

Yeah but you need the mark scheme too
Original post by ljackj
I get this too your not alone

Oh thank god!! It feels like past papers work great for everyone except me so it’s good to know there are others it doesn’t work great for too
Yeah but you need the mark scheme too

I find myself relying on the mark scheme like I know I shouldn’t but I always have to double check my answer after writing it and always miss out points
I find myself relying on the mark scheme like I know I shouldn’t but I always have to double check my answer after writing it and always miss out points

Yeah. Do you write notes?
Yeah. Do you write notes?

I try to get majority of my notes done during my lessons when we go through powerpoints
I try to get majority of my notes done during my lessons when we go through powerpoints

What about making flashcards later?
What about making flashcards later?

So far I have done flashcards for every subject but gave up as they don’t particularly help me :/
So far I have done flashcards for every subject but gave up as they don’t particularly help me :/

What did you do for studying in class tests during GCSE's? Do the same techniques
Reply 18
Oh thank god!! It feels like past papers work great for everyone except me so it’s good to know there are others it doesn’t work great for too

It’s going all good until there is a question I don’t know , is all good finding the answer but how am I gonna remember it for next time
What did you do for studying in class tests during GCSE's? Do the same techniques

I typically went over notes and rewrote specific details which I planned on doing till I heard that’s the worst way of revising <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending