The Student Room Group

Is this a sustainable diet?

Hi, I come from a southasian bengali household (so I eat alot of unhealthy curries) and I'm looking to go on a diet to lose weight. I've done research but can someone tell me if this is sustainable. I think my breakfast and luch is fine but I'm more conceered about dinner.

Breakfast (7am ish) : Oatmeal. I use wholewheat rolled oats and unsweetened almond milk oats. I would make it on a stove, I'll add chia seeds, ground cinamen powder, a chopped banana. I'll add berries as toppings + more ground cinammon. - I find this really easy to make.

Lunch (1:00pm) : I would just have a tuna sandwhich (But I would replace the mayo for smashed avacado). I'll use whole wheat bread.

Snack:I'll have nuts + fruits and berries

Dinner: This is the one that I'm most unsure about. I'm thinking of having grilled chicken with brown rice and broceli. I wanna keep a long term diet. I'm not really sure how I should season my chicken. I'm scared that this dinner won't be sustainable cos I read this article.:

https://www.menshealth.com/trending-news/a32945154/buff-dudes-chicken-broccoli-diet/

- What do you guys think? Should I change my dinner? But bear in mind that I can't really cook, I'll have to learn.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
How old are you, what is your current heights and weight and do you need to lose weight?

Just as general tips on healthier eating, get some veggies or salad into your lunchtime meal. Look at other proteins to have, as well as tuna.

Snacks are ok, but watch the calories and don't let them become a habit; you don't need to snack if your meals are filling. Just because fruit and nuts are basically healthy doesn't mean you should eat too many.

Again, vary your dinner and make it the right proportions of protein, complex carbs and veg. Play around with herbs and spices and learn to cook your own sauces, so much better than out of a jar.
Original post by Surnia
How old are you, what is your current heights and weight and do you need to lose weight?

Just as general tips on healthier eating, get some veggies or salad into your lunchtime meal. Look at other proteins to have, as well as tuna.

Snacks are ok, but watch the calories and don't let them become a habit; you don't need to snack if your meals are filling. Just because fruit and nuts are basically healthy doesn't mean you should eat too many.

Again, vary your dinner and make it the right proportions of protein, complex carbs and veg. Play around with herbs and spices and learn to cook your own sauces, so much better than out of a jar.

I'm 18, I don't really know how tall I am, I'm probably like 5 foot 8. I don't know how much I weigh, I just want to not be fat.

For lunch, I usually just have a banana afterwards, but I'll try to incorporate some veg.

I'm thinking of puting the rice in the rice cooker.Drizzling the chicken with olive oil Then seasoning the chicken with this: https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/296219992 and grilling the chicken. and while that's coocking, I could just heat some brocelli up on a stove (with a little water). Then I could just dizzle some cocunut oil and add some salt and pepper to the brocelli.

Obviously, I've never learnt to cook before, but that's the best I've come up with.
Reply 3
Original post by muhammad0112
I'm 18, I don't really know how tall I am, I'm probably like 5 foot 8. I don't know how much I weigh, I just want to not be fat.

For lunch, I usually just have a banana afterwards, but I'll try to incorporate some veg.

I'm thinking of puting the rice in the rice cooker.Drizzling the chicken with olive oil Then seasoning the chicken with this: https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/296219992 and grilling the chicken. and while that's coocking, I could just heat some brocelli up on a stove (with a little water). Then I could just dizzle some cocunut oil and add some salt and pepper to the brocelli.

Obviously, I've never learnt to cook before, but that's the best I've come up with.

If you can boil rice you can cook pasta. If you can cook broccoli you can cook other veg. If you can grill chicken you can grill other meat and fish. There you go, varied diet!

I don't know why you included that magazine link, it's just an irrelevant puff-piece.
Original post by Surnia
If you can boil rice you can cook pasta. If you can cook broccoli you can cook other veg. If you can grill chicken you can grill other meat and fish. There you go, varied diet!

I don't know why you included that magazine link, it's just an irrelevant puff-piece.

Did you know that the idea of sugar making you fat is a hoax set up by the government to regulate the confectionary industry. The best way to eat healthily is to consume tree bark frequently as it is full of natural protein and carbohydrates to get you through the day.
Reply 5
Original post by Geographyqueens
Did you know that the idea of sugar making you fat is a hoax set up by the government to regulate the confectionary industry. The best way to eat healthily is to consume tree bark frequently as it is full of natural protein and carbohydrates to get you through the day.

Barking mad!

Quick Reply

Latest