The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Where else do you think you’ll go or is it Leeds or nothing?
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by Yazomi
Where else do you think you’ll go or is it Leeds or nothing?

Bristol/Exeter
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Bristol/Exeter

Personally I think all these three are around the same level of prestige. Ie the employers would view all these at the same level. Tho this is just my opinion
Reply 4
Original post by Yazomi
Personally I think all these three are around the same level of prestige. Ie the employers would view all these at the same level. Tho this is just my opinion

Thank you! This was helpful :smile:
Do employers prefer UOL graduates? Would my Masters application benefit from the fact I went to UOL?

Depends really what you studied and what your grade/grades were. A 2:1/1st from Leeds (added to a strong research proposal and references) might get you an offer to do a Master's a good university in the UK maybe in the US too (in addition to GMAT and GRE scores). At postgraduate level they're looking really for two things: your degree classification and whether your research interests would fit in with the department's offerings even at the Master's level. I know of a person who did an Open University degree and went on to do postgrad at Oxford, Cambridge and an Ivy League school so the fact you went to Leeds is no barrier. The same goes for employment prospects.

But of the three mentioned Leeds, Bristol and Exeter, my personal choice would be Bristol as I feel it offers the more all round package and probs viewed as a slightly more selective than Leeds and maybe Exeter. But I don't think you're losing out going to any of those three.
No, University of Leeds is not "prestigious". It is just a "top" university.

In the UK, only about 11 universities can claim to have enough prestige to be regarded as prestigious.

They are: Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, Imperial, UCL, KCL, Edinburgh, Durham, St Andrews, Bristol and Warwick.

Leeds is in the bracket of Top universities below these, along with Manchester, Nottingham, Birmingham, Glasgow and a few others. They are top universities but not ones to be seen as "prestigious".
Original post by RoyalBeams

In the UK, only about 11 universities can claim to have enough prestige to be regarded as prestigious.

They are: Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, Imperial, UCL, KCL, Edinburgh, Durham, St Andrews, Bristol and Warwick.

Leeds is in the bracket of Top universities below these, along with Manchester, Nottingham, Birmingham, Glasgow and a few others. They are top universities but not ones to be seen as "prestigious".

What makes you such an expert?

And what exactly are you basing this misinformation on?

If we define prestige by say Nobel Laureate affiliations then the most prestigious UK institutions in that respect (in order) would be Cambridge, Oxford, UCL, Manchester, Imperial, LSE, King's, Queen Mary, Liverpool, Bristol.

If we look at the THE World Rankings, then the top ten in order would be Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, LSE, Edinburgh, King's, Warwick, Manchester, Bristol.

If we look at the QS World Rankings, then the top ten in order would be Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Edinburgh, Manchester, King's, LSE, Bristol and Warwick.

Not that rankings are anything to go by but prestige is an objective metric but that you would ignore Manchester which by every other metric and ranking would be considered amongst the top ten in the country shows your ignorance.
Also I don't get this obsession with St Andrew's and Durham. St Andrew's I can accept has some history and has produced some Nobel Laureates but Durham for such a "prestigious" university hasn't produced a single one nor has ever been affiliated with any. All Durham seems to be famous for is its rep as being an "Oxbridge Rejects" university. That's not to say the teaching standards aren't high and that if you did well there you couldn't go far.

But I am intrigued as to why people seem to think Durham is actually amongst the most prestigious in the country?

Is york considered the same as Leeds etc?
Reply 12
Original post by helpme10101
Is york considered the same as Leeds etc?

I would say yes- though I haven’t gotten detailed research to prove so just personal opinion

Bristol above Manchester?
Original post by Yazomi
I would say yes- though I haven’t gotten detailed research to prove so just personal opinion

Is it still somewhat respectable to employers since its a Russel group uni?
Reply 15

I think so

did you think it would more or less prestigious because it became an RG uni? If anything it boosted it but York was always highly regarded. But if we are talking about this stupid snooty business of prestige do you think Queen's Belfast which is an RG uni is viewed in the same league as Cambridge by the snobs?
Reply 17
I would say Bristol over Leeds in terms of general ranking. Leeds is a good university though. Manchester has slightly higher ranking that that of Bristol. But of course, this is just a general ranking I am talking here. Is Leeds a prestigious university? Well, I'd rather say it is a well-known, well-respected university by majority in the country. If we talk about Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, UCL, LSE etc. yes, they are prestigious universities as they are well-known not just in the country but globally.
Original post by Henry_K
I would say Bristol over Leeds in terms of general ranking. Leeds is a good university though. Manchester has slightly higher ranking that that of Bristol. But of course, this is just a general ranking I am talking here. Is Leeds a prestigious university? Well, I'd rather say it is a well-known, well-respected university by majority in the country. If we talk about Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, UCL, LSE etc. yes, they are prestigious universities as they are well-known not just in the country but globally.

Leeds as well as most of the Russell Group universities are known globally but it also depends very much on the subject area. Certainly in Medicine and Dentistry Leeds is well known outside the UK as are places like Liverpool, Sheffield, Newcastle etc. i.e. places you wouldn't consider in the "prestigious" category alongside Oxford and Cambridge.

The thing is in the UK and probably due to the admissions process, outside of Oxford and Cambridge where you generally need the same grades for every course at the university (maybe a difference of an A* here or there), the entry requirements vary depending on the course at most other universities. I mean for example with all due respect, nobody would consider Plymouth an "elite" university to which to gain entry to for most programmes, but for Medicine and Dentistry you'd need at least AAA. Obviously for most universities the most competitive programmes with the highest grade requirements tend to be Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary Science/Veterinary Medicine.

Now take for example the US, you apply directly to the university and whilst you can declare a major when applying, this isn't essential and given the liberal arts nature of US undergraduate study, many don't really decide on a major until the end of their first year/during their second year. So in that respect most of the top US universities are fiercely competitive to gain entry to and even more so for international students. In Japan, entrance is determined by the performance in the entrance exam which everyone takes regardless of what they are applying for.

So this idea of prestige of UK universities seems to be based upon entry standards which really can't be used in a British context for the reasons I have just outlined. It really depends on the course you want to study.

I mean if you're set on becoming a doctor then studying Medicine at Edge Hill University would be considered more prestigious than say Physics at Durham, or Medicine at Manchester than Classics at Oxford. Classics at Oxford is of course brilliant but if your ambition is to become a doctor with a licence to practice medicine, the Manchester medical degree will confer that upon you (after completion of FY1) whereas Classics at Oxford wouldn't, unless you wanted to spend more time and money afterwards to go back to medical school and get the degree.
Reply 19
Leeds as well as most of the Russell Group universities are known globally but it also depends very much on the subject area. Certainly in Medicine and Dentistry Leeds is well known outside the UK as are places like Liverpool, Sheffield, Newcastle etc. i.e. places you wouldn't consider in the "prestigious" category alongside Oxford and Cambridge.

The thing is in the UK and probably due to the admissions process, outside of Oxford and Cambridge where you generally need the same grades for every course at the university (maybe a difference of an A* here or there), the entry requirements vary depending on the course at most other universities. I mean for example with all due respect, nobody would consider Plymouth an "elite" university to which to gain entry to for most programmes, but for Medicine and Dentistry you'd need at least AAA. Obviously for most universities the most competitive programmes with the highest grade requirements tend to be Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary Science/Veterinary Medicine.

Now take for example the US, you apply directly to the university and whilst you can declare a major when applying, this isn't essential and given the liberal arts nature of US undergraduate study, many don't really decide on a major until the end of their first year/during their second year. So in that respect most of the top US universities are fiercely competitive to gain entry to and even more so for international students. In Japan, entrance is determined by the performance in the entrance exam which everyone takes regardless of what they are applying for.

So this idea of prestige of UK universities seems to be based upon entry standards which really can't be used in a British context for the reasons I have just outlined. It really depends on the course you want to study.

I mean if you're set on becoming a doctor then studying Medicine at Edge Hill University would be considered more prestigious than say Physics at Durham, or Medicine at Manchester than Classics at Oxford. Classics at Oxford is of course brilliant but if your ambition is to become a doctor with a licence to practice medicine, the Manchester medical degree will confer that upon you (after completion of FY1) whereas Classics at Oxford wouldn't, unless you wanted to spend more time and money afterwards to go back to medical school and get the degree.

Yes, that is why I said it is just a general ranking. But still.. even if you are looking at subject rankings, Leeds would not be able to outclass Cambridge, Oxford, UCL, Imperial, LSE in most of their subjects. Well, very few subjects in Leeds may have slightly higher rankings than others but in general, nope.

Also, according to your example, If you are set on becoming a doctor, you should look to apply 'Medicine' in both Oxford and Manchester and not 'Classics' in Oxford and 'Medicine' in Manchester. So your example is illogical.

To be honest, even if computer science course is on a par or slightly better in, lets say, Bradford university than in Oxford or LSE, I would still go to Oxford or LSE and I am sure you would know why.
(edited 3 years ago)

Latest