The Student Room Group

Marketing or accounting?

Ooookay so I've been pretty interested in both so far and I was thinking that maybe I might do an Accounting and Finance/Business degree and choose all the modules with exemptions from ICAEW exams and then perhaps go into marketing If I find that Accounting isn't what I desire.

Plus Accounting and Finance/Business degree might be more useful If I decide that I want to start up my own business and then I could choose to be either an accountant, a marketer or business owner. Banking is not really my thing because of the long hours even though there is good pay.

K so I'm really not sure anymore because marketing does seem more fun and creative but I dunno if there's good job security and pay compared to accounting.

Urgh I dunno anymore.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Bump
Reply 2
Both are broad careers with huge variations in pay. Look at what you prefer.
Original post by Stark°3000
Ooookay so I've been pretty interested in both so far and I was thinking that maybe I might do an Accounting and Finance/Business degree and choose all the modules with exemptions from ICAEW exams and then perhaps go into marketing If I find that Accounting isn't what I desire.

Plus Accounting and Finance/Business degree might be more useful If I decide that I want to start up my own business and then I could choose to be either an accountant, a marketer or business owner. Banking is not really my thing because of the long hours even though there is good pay.

K so I'm really not sure anymore because marketing does seem more fun and creative but I dunno if there's good job security and pay compared to accounting.

Urgh I dunno anymore.

Accounting every time. You need basic qualifications to hold future accounting/financial positions, marketing you need talent. You may have marvellous marketing talents, but you still have more options over an entire career, if you have an accounting qualification, even if you work in marketing.
Original post by threeportdrift
Accounting every time. You need basic qualifications to hold future accounting/financial positions, marketing you need talent. You may have marvellous marketing talents, but you still have more options over an entire career, if you have an accounting qualification, even if you work in marketing.

Original post by ajj2000
Both are broad careers with huge variations in pay. Look at what you prefer.

Thank you both 😊 I've decided that I'll stick to my original plan and do an Accounting degree with a placement year and take the exemptions for the ICAEW exams then I'll decide on from there 😁
Reply 5
Which university are you looking at?
Original post by ajj2000
Which university are you looking at?

Reading- Flying start degree programme which will exempt me from 12/15 of the ICAEW exams + I get PwC work experience
Royal Holloway- Accounting and Finance w/ placement year- exempts me from 5 exams and marketing,maths and IT modules (I like that)
Surrey- Accounting and Finance w/ palcement year - exempts me from 7 exams and has all the modules I like
Kent- Accounting and Finance w/ placement year- exempts me from 7/8 exams also has all the modules I like
Sussex- Accounting and Financew/ placement year- exempts me from 7/8 exams and has good careers services + employability

It's in order from top to bottom.
So Reading is my Firm choice and RH is my insurance.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Reading- Flying start degree programme which will exempt me from 12/15 of the ICAEW exams + I get PwC work experience
Royal Holloway- Accounting and Finance w/ placement year- exempts me from 5 exams and marketing,maths and IT modules (I like that)
Surrey- Accounting and Finance w/ palcement year - exempts me from 7 exams and has all the modules I like
Kent- Accounting and Finance w/ placement year- exempts me from 7/8 exams also has all the modules I like
Sussex- Accounting and Financew/ placement year- exempts me from 7/8 exams and has good careers services + employability

Ah, cool - you've been accepted by the flying start?
Original post by ajj2000
Ah, cool - you've been accepted by the flying start?

Omg I wish! Haha no I'm in year 12 and this is what I'll be picking for UCAS this year.
I've applied for the year 12 PwC insight week programme which if I get through and get an AAB, I can then skip some of the application process for the Flying start programme.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Omg I wish! Haha no I'm in year 12 and this is what I'll be picking for UCAS this year.

Ah, ok. I'd also add one or more other flying start courses in that case.
Original post by ajj2000
Ah, ok. I'd also add one or more other flying start courses in that case.

I mean I would but my mum wants me to stay a little closer to London and the other courses are too far away.
Nottingham seems like a nice one though urgh 😍 their campus is so pretty.
I mean I would but my mum wants me to stay a little closer to London and the other courses are too far away.
Nottingham seems like a nice one though urgh 😍 their campus is so pretty.

I was thinking Nottingham for you also! Its much, much cheaper to live there than your other options so you would easily be able to afford trains home. Anyway, see if you feel more confident in a few months time when you are applying. I think Southampton and Exeter are worth considering for standard A+F courses in the south.
Original post by ajj2000
I was thinking Nottingham for you also! Its much, much cheaper to live there than your other options so you would easily be able to afford trains home. Anyway, see if you feel more confident in a few months time when you are applying. I think Southampton and Exeter are worth considering for standard A+F courses in the south.

I was considering Southampton however, There's a dissertation module :afraid: I don't really like dissertations oof but their campus is beautiful and it's right near the sea so it's a different environment to London :biggrin: + they have a marketing and IT module which is great! Howeverrrrr, they don't have a maths module :frown: I was hoping that i can do some advanced maths at uni because even though I haven't picked A-level maths, I'm teaching myself GCSE then I'll teach myself A level maths.
(edited 3 years ago)
I was considering Southampton however, There's a dissertation module :afraid: I don't really like dissertations oof but their campus is beautiful and it's right near the sea so it's a different environment to London :biggrin:

You can put up with one module! Southampton would have better links with big firms than some others on your list which could be important in the future.
Original post by ajj2000
You can put up with one module! Southampton would have better links with big firms than some others on your list which could be important in the future.

Yeah true that but that module is compulsory + there's this one programming module I want to do but I can't really do it because I don't do A-level maths.
It's fine though I can always just teach myself Python at home even though the module is SAS base programming!
(edited 3 years ago)
I'll just have one flying start option and then the rest will be regular A+F degrees (cos I like them 😁).

Hey @Stark°3000,

It's great to hear you want to firm the University of Reading! Whilst I personally don't study accounting and business, Jo does. You might find it useful to speak to her here about what it is like to be a student and her plans after graduation.

Academics aside, I have really enjoyed studying at the University of Reading. We've got a gorgeous green campus, and are only a short 25 min walk away from Reading town. Reading station also has extremely good connections across the country and we're only a 30 min train from Paddington. Reading University also offers really good careers support with lots of different schemes to support current students including: thrive mentoring, RED award and 1 to 1 careers chats. You can see the information here.

I hope this helps and please feel free to let us know if you have any questions or if there is anything we can help you with!
From,

Amina 😊
Original post by UniofReading
Hey @Stark°3000,

It's great to hear you want to firm the University of Reading! Whilst I personally don't study accounting and business, Jo does. You might find it useful to speak to her here about what it is like to be a student and her plans after graduation.

Academics aside, I have really enjoyed studying at the University of Reading. We've got a gorgeous green campus, and are only a short 25 min walk away from Reading town. Reading station also has extremely good connections across the country and we're only a 30 min train from Paddington. Reading University also offers really good careers support with lots of different schemes to support current students including: thrive mentoring, RED award and 1 to 1 careers chats. You can see the information here.

I hope this helps and please feel free to let us know if you have any questions or if there is anything we can help you with!
From,

Amina 😊

Thanks I've sent her some massages so yh hopefully I'll get more info on the course and the campus.

Hi!

It's great to hear you are applying to Surrey :smile:

If you have any questions about Surrey or uni in general, I can help answer them for you Also if you would like to see Surrey from a student's perspective every week then please follow our Instagram page: SurreyStudent

Becca (2nd Year Psychology Student)
Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
Hi!

It's great to hear you are applying to Surrey :smile:

If you have any questions about Surrey or uni in general, I can help answer them for you Also if you would like to see Surrey from a student's perspective every week then please follow our Instagram page: SurreyStudent

Becca (2nd Year Psychology Student)

Thanks Becca!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending