The Student Room Group

Does everything happen for a reason?

If yes, then what’s the reason behind getting racially/sexually/domestically abused?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No
i think everything happens for a reason. i know bad things happen but usually the bad helps you with some form of self discovery, in my experience anyways
Reply 3
Original post by Ummhelloso
If yes, then what’s the reason behind getting racially/sexually/domestically abused?

It depends on your perspective of the world. Some say everything does happen for a reason. However, if you're getting abused, you can ask for help. When it comes to the reason behind getting abused, it depends on the context, on the situation, who the people are, what their motives could be, etc.
Reply 4
Hmm it’s interesting , bc personally I think everything does happen for a reason as whatever’s happened to me has been a massive lesson, however I was thinking about it, and for certain things there isn’t a reason? It’s interesting reading a few ppl’s views on it but I really still am struggling to understand the reasoning behind abuse
Reply 5
Hmm it’s interesting , bc personally I think everything does happen for a reason as whatever’s happened to me has been a massive lesson, however I was thinking about it, and for certain things there isn’t a reason? It’s interesting reading a few ppl’s views on it but I really still am struggling to understand the reasoning behind abuse

Well, if you want to have a different perspective on this, I'd recommend listening to this hilarious episode of the Infinite Monkey Cage. It's a BBC podcast starring Brian Cox and Robin Ince which explores randomness and chance:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00w78gr

If being abused has happened for a reason, maybe the reason is to ask for help. Or maybe the reason is to mentally / physically grow and become stronger so that you can fight off the abuse. Either way, are you willing to tolerate the abuse?
Yep - I think everything happens for a reason.

Some things are horrific, and traumatic, but there's almost always a lesson to be learned or a way in which what happened will change your life.

No it doesn't - why should people be abused just so that they and others can learn a lesson from it? If we all needed to learn harsh lessons like that we would all be subject to the same abuse at points in our life but we aren't
Original post by Aethomson
i think everything happens for a reason. i know bad things happen but usually the bad helps you with some form of self discovery, in my experience anyways

How does being murdered help with self discovery?
i used to believe that everything happens for a reason but it’s hard to think that when something bad happens like losing a loved one but i do believe if something is meant to be it will be and that everything works out in the end
I don’t think everything happens for a reason. But when those things do happen, you can either run from it, or learn from it. Most people who say “things happen for a reason” say that just because they’ve learned something from that experience and it has changed them for the better. Without the experience, they wouldn’t be where they are but I highly doubt things happen for a reason, more they just happen because that’s life and it’s how you react to it that can change you.
Original post by DiddyDec
How does being murdered help with self discovery?

Yes that is a good question I would love to know the answer.

Everything didn't work out in the end for them did it :confused:
Original post by harrysbar
Yes that is a good question I would love to know the answer.

Everything didn't work out in the end for them did it :confused:

I don't expect an answer.
It depends what you think of a reason as.

Only you can answer that bcuz it’s subjective
Reply 15

Bad things that happen to someone make them stronger then before.
Original post by Amin7

This is a very good point because there’s no sunshine without rain
But I’d say when bad things happen to people it’s too make them stronger mentally, physically, emotionally etc. It’s to mould them tbh. Everyone has problems and has experienced something bad but it’s what you do after that matters the most. Change your perspective. You can’t control what happens to you but you can control how you react. Change what’s in your control before you try to change the world.
Original post by Amin7

Original post by chelsea.uri
But I’d say when bad things happen to people it’s too make them stronger mentally, physically, emotionally etc. It’s to mould them tbh. Everyone has problems and has experienced something bad but it’s what you do after that matters the most. Change your perspective. You can’t control what happens to you but you can control how you react. Change what’s in your control before you try to change the world.

So are you both hoping something bad happens to you as it will make you stronger?
Original post by Amin7

How does being murdered make you stronger?

Quick Reply

Latest