The Student Room Group

How should i tell my parents i want to move out for uni??

I really want to go to a uni that's away from home. My mum wants me to go to the uni that's near me, but i don't wanna go there i wanna live on my own, but i feel like my mum really wont allow that to happen. I don't know how to approach her with the topic, and whenever i do she ends up getting my older brother involved and he starts giving his opinions etc it just SOOOO uncomfortable.... i really want to tell her but IDK how... Has anyone experienced this? or have any opinions on what i should do? any methods to persuade my mum?
Original post by ANOYNOMUS786
I really want to go to a uni that's away from home. My mum wants me to go to the uni that's near me, but i don't wanna go there i wanna live on my own, but i feel like my mum really wont allow that to happen. I don't know how to approach her with the topic, and whenever i do she ends up getting my older brother involved and he starts giving his opinions etc it just SOOOO uncomfortable.... i really want to tell her but IDK how... Has anyone experienced this? or have any opinions on what i should do? any methods to persuade my mum?

maybe start by saying why you actually want to go to the uni thats away from home, rather than the uni that is near you- maybe explain that you really like the campus and the course etc.
Reply 2
Stay home and save money
It's not as if you need her permission to accept any uni place you want and apply for halls. If you have an offer for a uni then accept it and tell her you're going that one, if you act like it's up for discussion then she'll continue to act like she has a say in the matter. Be firm, tell her that the uni you want is the best uni for you.

Don't worry if you need to put the closest uni or living at home down on your finance application to avoid an argument. That's easily changeable at a later date when you confirm a place.
Original post by Kogomogo
It's not as if you need her permission to accept any uni place you want and apply for halls. If you have an offer for a uni then accept it and tell her you're going that one, if you act like it's up for discussion then she'll continue to act like she has a say in the matter. Be firm, tell her that the uni you want is the best uni for you.

Don't worry if you need to put the closest uni or living at home down on your finance application to avoid an argument. That's easily changeable at a later date when you confirm a place.

Yeh thats a good idea THANKS :smile:
"Mum, Im going to x University which is away from home"

Brother starts interfering. "Mum can discuss this directly with me. I am not going to discuss this matter with you at all, ever."
Yeh thats a good idea THANKS :smile:

I'd show her [and I'm a mum] that the course is better ... you'll be leaving at some point anyway
Reply 7

As others have said, the decision is yours not hers, but you need your parents cooperation regarding finance - the maintenance loan is based on their financial circumstances and if they are not willing to disclose this (and they don't have to), you will only get the minimum loan which is not enough to live on. Unfortunately this can be used by parents as a means of "making" their children go to a local university and live at home. Show you have real reasons for wanting to go to university A or B, (ie not that you simply want to leave home!):

Research the subject you want to study and draw up a list of universities that are good for your course/good employability figures.

Work out a budget to show that you can manage financially - you can get accommodation prices from university websites and there are lots of budgeting guides available online.

Take an interest in learning to cook, doing the laundry etc - if she is worried about you coping, it will be easier to accept if she's seen you do this at home.

Remind her that you will only be at university for about 30 weeks in the year, so you will be at home for a lot of the time.

Ask her to come and visit (when Covid allows it), your favourite couple of universities. She will feel better if she has some idea of where you are going

Best of luck
Original post by marple
As others have said, the decision is yours not hers, but you need your parents cooperation regarding finance - the maintenance loan is based on their financial circumstances and if they are not willing to disclose this (and they don't have to), you will only get the minimum loan which is not enough to live on. Unfortunately this can be used by parents as a means of "making" their children go to a local university and live at home. Show you have real reasons for wanting to go to university A or B, (ie not that you simply want to leave home!):

Research the subject you want to study and draw up a list of universities that are good for your course/good employability figures.

Work out a budget to show that you can manage financially - you can get accommodation prices from university websites and there are lots of budgeting guides available online.

Take an interest in learning to cook, doing the laundry etc - if she is worried about you coping, it will be easier to accept if she's seen you do this at home.

Remind her that you will only be at university for about 30 weeks in the year, so you will be at home for a lot of the time.

Ask her to come and visit (when Covid allows it), your favourite couple of universities. She will feel better if she has some idea of where you are going

Best of luck

If she tries to use finance like that then it's fine to just put the close uni down, get the parents to send the evidence off and then once it's approved it's easy enough to just update student finance on a new uni in a few months time. Plenty of students apply before deciding and put a placeholder uni in, or some end up at second choices etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending