The Student Room Group

OCD

does anyone know what ocd is

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
OCD is something to do anxiety disorders
OCD is a mental health condition which stands for obsessive compulsive disorder. It really varies from person to person, some people who have it may engage in compulsive handwashing due to a fear of germs while others may have to do certain things for a certain number of times (for example, always touching the table 10 times before leaving a room to stop something bad from happening). OCD is usually a cycle in which a person with OCD has an intrusive thought, which causes anxiety and panic, which leads to the person carrying out some sort of obsessive/compulsive behaviour to "get rid" or "stop" the thought from coming true, which creates a sense of relief and a sense of calm. Therefore, the deadly cycle is repeated over and over and over, with these intrusive thoughts becoming worse and worse and the compulsion to "remove" these thoughts becoming more prominent and taking over the person's life. Personally I am in recovery from OCD behaviour so yeah. Contrary to popular belief, OCD isn't about being "neat" or "tidy", but repetitively carrying out obsessive behaviour in an attempt to quash intrusive thoughts. I'd just like to reiterate that OCD really differs from one sufferer to another, so some things I have mentioned in this post may not apply to other sufferers of OCD. Hope this helps :smile:
OCD is obsessive compulsive disorder
Obsessive compulsive disorder is a mental health condition where you have recurring thoughts and repetitive behaviours that you cannot control.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
OCD is obsessive compulsive disorder
Obsessive compulsive disorder is a mental health condition where you have recurring thoughts and repetitive behaviours that you cannot control.

do you think i have OCD i keep having negative thoughts
Original post by hellnot

I can’t diagnose over the internet, it’s not exactly safe. If you need help, see your GP

From NHS
If you have OCD, you'll usually experience frequent obsessive thoughts and compulsive behaviours.

An obsession is an unwanted and unpleasant thought, image or urge that repeatedly enters your mind, causing feelings of anxiety, disgust or unease.
A compulsion is a repetitive behaviour or mental act that you feel you need to do to temporarily relieve the unpleasant feelings brought on by the obsessive thought.
Why dont you speak with GP if you have OCD it is serious you have to get help before it gets worse. Mine is horrible right now so I suggest you to talk with GP ASAP before it gets out of your control.
Reply 7
I can’t diagnose over the internet, it’s not exactly safe. If you need help, see your GP

From NHS
If you have OCD, you'll usually experience frequent obsessive thoughts and compulsive behaviours.

An obsession is an unwanted and unpleasant thought, image or urge that repeatedly enters your mind, causing feelings of anxiety, disgust or unease.
A compulsion is a repetitive behaviour or mental act that you feel you need to do to temporarily relieve the unpleasant feelings brought on by the obsessive thought.

i dont do anything that i need to do like a ritual
Reply 8
Why dont you speak with GP if you have OCD it is serious you have to get help before it gets worse. Mine is horrible right now so I suggest you to talk with GP ASAP before it gets out of your control.

can you explain what you feel
Original post by hellnot
i dont do anything that i need to do like a ritual

So you don’t have any rituals? If you are having negative thoughts it’s probably depression
Original post by hellnot
can you explain what you feel

Always worrying about something bad maybe happen to people I care about and also washing and cleaning stuff cuz I feel like they are dirty (but obviously not dirty.) Not everyone experiences the same stuff tho. Yours could be different.
Reply 11
Always worrying about something bad maybe happen to people I care about and also washing and cleaning stuff cuz I feel like they are dirty (but obviously not dirty.) Not everyone experiences the same stuff tho. Yours could be different.

i worry men will touch me inappropriately i worry about the future
Original post by hellnot
i worry men will touch me inappropriately i worry about the future

Do you worry so much that you cannot even sleep or is it just a thought that bothers you constantly all day ?
So you don’t have any rituals? If you are having negative thoughts it’s probably depression

having negative thoughts doesn't mean they have depression. negative thoughts are an entirely normal thing to have. people aren't happy 24/7
Negative thoughts are more depression, schizophrenia n stuff
Original post by Hammadp
Negative thoughts are more depression, schizophrenia n stuff

No it could be depression but not schizophrenia please do not comment on stuff you don't know that maybe affect someone badly and upset them.
Reply 16
Original post by hellnot

Simply having negative thoughts is not what OCD is.
If you're concerned about your mental health, you should speak to your GP or another professional.
No it could be depression but not schizophrenia please do not comment on stuff you don't know that maybe affect someone badly and upset them.

Broski I’m a schizophrenic 😂😂 that’s why ik ive had treatment for over 4 years
Obsessive compulsive disorder.

Do you have unpleasant thoughts or a repetitive behaviour, which you cannot control?
Do you worry so much that you cannot even sleep or is it just a thought that bothers you constantly all day ?

some idiot banned my account this is my new account. yes the thoughts bother me all day

Quick Reply

Latest