The Student Room Group

Physical properties

The table below shows some physical properties of magnesium, bromine and magnesium bromide.

Explain the physical properties shown in the table using your knowledge of structure and bonding.

Can someone pls help me with this question????
Hello, it would be helpful if you could provide the table referenced in the question!
Reply 2
Original post by dacb2f2dd4
Hello, it would be helpful if you could provide the table referenced in the question!

Omg sorry I completely forgot 991D38C1-83EA-43B0-BD73-B731BF40807B.jpeg
Reply 3
Original post by dacb2f2dd4

For this question this is what I thought it would be but I’m not really sure:

Magnesium- giant ionic lattice structure with alternating charges arranged in repeating units
Conducts electricity in both molten and solid state- ions are mobile (delocalised electrons move through the structure carrying charge)
Mg has the highest melting point because of its strong metallic bonds. This means that large amounts of energy is needed to overcome the electrostatic attraction between the cations and electrons. Thus it’s high melting point.

Bromine- simple molecular lattice structure or simple covalent lattice structure
Melting point depends on the induced dipole dipole forces between the molecules. The forces are weak and so easily overcome the increased kinetic energy hence has a low melting point
Bromine has no mobile ions or delocalised electrons so is fixed in position so cannot conduct electricity.

Magnesium bromide- giant ionic lattice structure consisting of alternating charges arranged in repeating units. Magnesium bromide also has a high melting point because of its strong metallic bonds. This means that large amounts of energy is needed to overcome the electrostatic attraction between the cations and electrons. Thus it’s high melting point. Magnesium bromide is a good conductor of electrify in molten state as ions are mobile yet in solid state they are fixed in position and so cannot move so cant conduct electricity in solid state

Can someone pls check this it’s a six marker so I wasn’t too sure
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Unknownn1.x

Magnesium- giant ionic lattice structure with alternating charges arranged in repeating units
Conducts electricity in both molten and solid state- ions are mobile (delocalised electrons move through the structure carrying charge)
Mg has the highest melting point because of its strong metallic bonds. This means that large amounts of energy is needed to overcome the electrostatic attraction between the cations and electrons. Thus it’s high melting point.

Bromine- simple molecular lattice structure or simple covalent lattice structure
Melting point depends on the induced dipole dipole forces between the molecules. The forces are weak and so easily overcome the increased kinetic energy hence has a low melting point
Bromine has no mobile ions or delocalised electrons so is fixed in position so cannot conduct electricity.

Magnesium bromide- giant ionic lattice structure consisting of alternating charges arranged in repeating units. Magnesium bromide also has a high melting point because of its strong metallic bonds. This means that large amounts of energy is needed to overcome the electrostatic attraction between the cations and electrons. Thus it’s high melting point. Magnesium bromide is a good conductor of electrify in molten state as ions are mobile yet in solid state they are fixed in position and so cannot move so cant conduct electricity in solid state

@charco is this correct?

Magnesium bromide- giant ionic lattice structure consisting of alternating charges arranged in repeating units. Magnesium bromide also has a high melting point because of its strong metallic bonds. This means that large amounts of energy is needed to overcome the electrostatic attraction between the cations and electrons. Thus it’s high melting point.

Magnesium bromide is a good conductor of electrify in molten state as ions are mobile yet in solid state they are fixed in position and so cannot move so cant conduct electricity in solid state

@charco is this correct?

The highlighted text is clearly incorrect
Hi what paper is this from?
Hi what paper is this from?
this is a little late ahaha but i found the paper https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/643576-mark-scheme-periodic-table-elements-and-physical-chemistry.pdf check question 16 c :smile: for anyone else doing this question like I am rn lmao
The table below shows some physical properties of magnesium, bromine and magnesium bromide.

Explain the physical properties shown in the table using your knowledge of structure and bonding.

Can someone pls help me with this question????

a year late lmaoao but i found the paper https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/643576-mark-scheme-periodic-table-elements-and-physical-chemistry.pdf
just oncase anyone is in my shoes rn lmaoaoa

I would give this full mark. It mentions the physical properties of each substance and explains why by linking it to its structure and bonding.

Amazing.
Original post by RahmanSunby
I would give this full mark. It mentions the physical properties of each substance and explains why by linking it to its structure and bonding.

Amazing.

But very wrong in several areas ...

Quick Reply

Latest