The Student Room Group

"Kill the Bill" protest becomes a riot

Scroll to see replies

I'm afraid that those of you concerned about the new bill are not adequately looking at the context. The notion of a fair division of debate is coming to an end, the left has become militant and putrid in its extremity. Republicanism, seperatism, pandering to minorities.. these are now mainstream views among the left and we saw last summer how they have attached themselves to groups like BLM (who's aims include reperations).

In short, I would love to live in a country in which people were still sane but the left is becoming increasingly putrid and all those in the center and right must stand opposed or lose the country and institutions that they hold dear.

I fully support the new bill.
Original post by Rakas21
I'm afraid that those of you concerned about the new bill are not adequately looking at the context. The notion of a fair division of debate is coming to an end, the left has become militant and putrid in its extremity. Republicanism, seperatism, pandering to minorities.. these are now mainstream views among the left and we saw last summer how they have attached themselves to groups like BLM (who's aims include reperations).

In short, I would love to live in a country in which people were still sane but the left is becoming increasingly putrid and all those in the center and right must stand opposed or lose the country and institutions that they hold dear.

So the answer is to make forms of peaceful protest illegal?

What do you think happens when people can no longer peacefully protest, will they just stop protesting?
As somebody who wants the conservative party to become more of s traditional right wing authoritarian party I would say we still have a lot of work to do. That said I'm pleased we have made some developments.

The biggest impediment to our aims is Ironically the conservative partys lack of democracy where we need to take a leaf from the Corbynites. Were the conservative party allowed to vote for four candidates we would vote for the most right wing candidate every time. We should also be able to recall MPs who are impediments to our movement. The highlight of Boris premiership for me is still sacking twenty MPs for disloyalty.

To paraphrase Ken Livingstone, Boris 'is a lazy tosser who doesn't stand for anything'. Sure he might be happy throwing meat at the grassroots but that could equally change. I suspect he basically let's ministers get on with it and this is Patel's doing. Which is still good but if somebody like Hancock takes over we can expect to return to the same blairite crap we've had to endure for so long.
Original post by DiddyDec
The bill only targets peaceful protest, it does nothing for violent protest which is already covered under different laws.

Quite simply it does not target peaceful protest. That is utter rubbish.
Original post by Rakas21

Never agreed with you more.
Original post by imlikeahermit
Quite simply it does not target peaceful protest. That is utter rubbish.

"suffers serious distress, serious annoyance, serious inconvenience or serious loss of amenity"

That is not the language of violence. Would you accuse someone of violence if they annoyed or inconvenienced you?
"suffers serious distress, serious annoyance, serious inconvenience or serious loss of amenity"

That is not the language of violence. Would you accuse someone of violence if they annoyed or inconvenienced you?

And at no point still does that clause affect a peaceful protest. What I would say is that it’s the left who are the experts at suffering ‘serious distress’ as they protest and cry about whatever floats their boat that day.
Original post by imlikeahermit
And at no point still does that clause affect a peaceful protest. What I would say is that it’s the left who are the experts at suffering ‘serious distress’ as they protest and cry about whatever floats their boat that day.

This isn't the left pushing for this bill.

"that the noise generated by the person carrying on the protest may result in serious disruption to the activities of an organisation which are carried on in the vicinity of the protest"

Would you classify being disturbingly noisey as violence?

It's a tad hypocritical when people say they are against such ill defined terms but then also support things like hate speech laws which are similarly vacuously defined- measured in part by the level of 'offence' people feel.

The left again want to have their cake and eat it. At least I'm honest enough to say I support cracking down on left wing protests and using kid gloves for right wing ones 😂
Original post by Cheese Bits
Anyone who knows anything about Bristol will be fully aware that there are long standing tensions between younger generations, ethnic minorities and the police that go back to the 80s. They flair up fairly frequently and are relatively minor, so often don't get into the national press. This just happens to be worse than usual.

So trying to frame this as somehow imported from the USA is a strange perspective, particularly from someone who claims to have been in Bristol.

It will be interesting when they come to court to see where the rioters came from - the main national right wing media are full of police-driven claims today that they are from all over the UK and arrived as a sort of rentamob - we'll see how true that turns out to be.

Also of course the police have form for inserting agent provocateurs into the crowd to deliberately stir up violence.
Original post by Rakas21

This is such bull I hardly know where to start. Time and again, it is the far Right that has been proven to be the real threat to law and order, both in this country and across the West.

What's happening right now is that the government are seeking to introduce a bill that will outlaw all legitimate protest on the say-so of a police officer. That's not democracy, it's dictatorship. It's exactly what's going on right now in Hong Kong, in Myanmar, in Venezuela. It's not surprising that people are protesting. Then we have the thuggish police response to the women's vigil in Clapham.
Original post by Starship Trooper
It's a tad hypocritical when people say they are against such ill defined terms but then also support things like hate speech laws which are similarly vacuously defined- measured in part by the level of 'offence' people feel.

I am personally not a fan of ill defined laws because they are far too open to abuse or misinterpretation.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Also of course the police have form for inserting agent provocateurs into the crowd to deliberately stir up violence.

Agreed, just like the Capitol protests where two of the leaders were FBI assets 🙂
Reply 32
Original post by fallen_acorns
Nearly a year ago, I was walking around bristol arguing with someone about the dangers of importing American ideas over here. Attitudes towards the police were one of the biggest worries I had.

Slowly those concerns are being proven right.

These aren't just protestors having a protest and police getting hurt because they are in the way or trying to stop them. The attacks and rhetoric recently are aimed squarely at the police themselves. Makes sense though, if you've been taught that the police are institutionally racist, kill innocenent people, kill black people, and you've not had it explained that there is a vast vast diference between the UK and US police force (not to mention that the US police force isn't one single entity at all but many many forces), then of course your going to develop a very bad and ill-informed view of policing in the UK. The extreme of that viewpoint will be the ones who burn police vans and injure police.

I would agree with all of that, but at the same time I don't think a lot of our current policing practices have really helped to dispel the growing 'them and us' rift between the police and the public. Many of our police (especially in the more urban forces), behave more like gendarmeries these days, rather than civilian constabularies. To me they no longer feel like mere civilian servicemen tasked with keeping the peace among their fellow citizens and bringing lawbreakers to justice, they have morphed into priviledged and detatched quasi-paramilitary enforcers of state policy.
Original post by Wōden
(Added emphasis in bold )

Many of our police (especially in the more urban forces), behave more like gendarmeries these days, rather than civilian constabularies. To me they no longer feel like mere civilian servicemen tasked with keeping the peace among their fellow citizens and bringing lawbreakers to justice, they have morphed into priviledged and detatched quasi-paramilitary enforcers of state policy.

Ah, why do you think that is?
Original post by Wōden
I would agree with all of that, but at the same time I don't think a lot of our current policing practices have really helped to dispel the growing 'them and us' rift between the police and the public. Many of our police (especially in the more urban forces), behave more like gendarmeries these days, rather than civilian constabularies. To me they no longer feel like mere civilian servicemen tasked with keeping the peace among their fellow citizens and bringing lawbreakers to justice, they have morphed into priviledged and detatched quasi-paramilitary enforcers of state policy.

My experience of contact with the police in London is that their morale is very low and they feel under constant threat. I suspect cuts in police numbers have had a big effect, also the court system is hopelessly jammed up now due to cuts and Covid. A lot of police experience violence from the public. These things combine to create a hostile police force.
Original post by Starship Trooper
Agreed, just like the Capitol protests where two of the leaders were FBI assets 🙂

There's what I say, which is easily proven by googling. Then there's what you say, which is brainless conspiradroid drivel. I feel that's the main difference between us, but if you can think of any others, happy to hear about them.
It's odd how some of the right wing members of this forum, who usually champion free speech, are in support of a bill that goes directly against free speech.
Original post by SHallowvale
It's odd how some of the right wing members of this forum, who usually champion free speech, are in support of a bill that goes directly against free speech.

It is the wrong kind of "free" speech for them.
Original post by SHallowvale

Except it quite simply does not do that... :rolleyes:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
There's what I say, which is easily proven by googling. Then there's what you say, which is brainless conspiradroid drivel. I feel that's the main difference between us, but if you can think of any others, happy to hear about them.

So this is fake news is it? 🤣🤣🤣

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/27/proud-boys-leader-enrique-tarrio-fbi-informant

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/02/09/capitol-riot-oath-keeper-fbi/

Shame youre being so vitriolic, I actually had some respect for you for at least being intellectually honest and coherent. Stop behaving like a blairite.

Quick Reply

Latest