The Student Room Group

To protest the bill that increases police powers...

We’ll blatantly break the law, we’ll smash **** up for no reason, we’ll set police vans on fire, and we’ll take part in what can only be described as anarchy.

Love Bristol me. Full of students with nothing better to do.

In all seriousness, this is what happens when the police dance around and take the knee to other left wing anarchists. Absolutely disgusting scenes.

Scroll to see replies

Always sad to see an otherwise peaceful protest spoilt by people wanting to break stuff.
Original post by SHallowvale
Always sad to see an otherwise peaceful protest spoilt by people wanting to break stuff.

I never thought I’d see scenes similar to Portland in this country.
What do you think is the right course of action to take in order to dissuade the Government slipping further into authoritarianism?
Original post by imlikeahermit
In all seriousness, this is what happens when the police dance around and take the knee to other left wing anarchists. Absolutely disgusting scenes.

Strongly agree.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9130119/Priti-Patel-tackles-woke-police-chiefs-let-mobs-tear-statues.html

These are the same police that will also arrest people for mean tweets or other such things. Hard to feel sorry for them when Antifa kicks their head in.
Reply 5
Original post by DiddyDec
What do you think is the right course of action to take in order to dissuade the Government slipping further into authoritarianism?

Open debate, media, celebrity, influencers. Come up with a credible alternative to push to solve the issues rather than just opposing, that way you can campaign for the 'Diddy Plan'. Support action against those who engage in extremist action.

As much as some dislike him I'm thinking of Cleggers who openly invited Farage to debate. Did it in isolation so it never went anywhere but as part of a strategy you can move the debate.

People forget that actually polling is generally with the police. In short, actually try win the debate.
Original post by Rakas21
Open debate, media, celebrity, influencers. Come up with a credible alternative to push to solve the issues rather than just opposing, that way you can campaign for the 'Diddy Plan'. Support action against those who engage in extremist action.

As much as some dislike him I'm thinking of Cleggers who openly invited Farage to debate. Did it in isolation so it never went anywhere but as part of a strategy you can move the debate.

People forget that actually polling is generally with the police. In short, actually try win the debate.

When you have a Government that is a law unto themselves all of that is pointless because they will not pay it any heed.
Reply 7
When you have a Government that is a law unto themselves all of that is pointless because they will not pay it any heed.

Is that true. Like Brexit or not but Cameron did give into the electoral pressure put on him in 2013/2014 and the party did give in to the electoral pressure of 2019.

Win the argument and you force electoral pressure.
Original post by Rakas21
Is that true. Like Brexit or not but Cameron did give into the electoral pressure put on him in 2013/2014 and the party did give in to the electoral pressure of 2019.

Win the argument and you force electoral pressure.

I concede that.
I agree.
Those thugs and the rioting anarchists that came to Bristol were vile.
Their reckless criminal antics will likely contribute towards a large scale surge in the number of covid infections within the next fortnight and an escalation in the number of fatalities during spring 2021.
As will the anti-lockdown and clapham common protesters.
Original post by londonmyst
I agree.
Their reckless criminal antics will likely contribute towards a large scale surge in the number of covid infections within the next fortnight and an escalation in the number of fatalities during spring 2021.

I think there are a lot of similarities between the Bristol event and other recent protests. The cynic in me wonders whether it's the same faces causing problems at all these protests - I know numerous politicians and police chiefs have said these events have been 'hijacked' by certain extremists.

The Clapham Common event was most notable. The organisers of the vigil were responsible and cancelled it - those who turned up with their ready-made 'ACAB' signs definitely weren't there for Sarah.
Original post by londonmyst
I agree.

Sir Patrick Vallance said this last week, "It is the case that it is difficult to see how things like large beach gatherings and so on can cause a spike. The same was the case in a protest march in New York. They did not really see any spikes after that".

There is no evidence to suggest that outdoor protests increase the cases of COVID.
Original post by JOSH4598
I think there are a lot of similarities between the Bristol event and other recent protests. The cynic in me wonders whether it's the same faces causing problems at all these protests - I know numerous politicians and police chiefs have said these events have been 'hijacked' by certain extremists.

The Clapham Common event was most notable. The organisers of the vigil were responsible and cancelled it - those who turned up with their ready-made 'ACAB' signs definitely weren't there for Sarah.

I think some of these protests such as the Covid protests are different and werent explicitly left wing whereas the Bristol and BLM were
Sir Patrick Vallance said this last week, "It is the case that it is difficult to see how things like large beach gatherings and so on can cause a spike. The same was the case in a protest march in New York. They did not really see any spikes after that".

There is no evidence to suggest that outdoor protests increase the cases of COVID.

Perfectly fine that outdoor protests are against the law then?

Your on fire on this thread like. We’ve got so far:

- Police’s fault for getting hurt, they shouldn’t have been there.
- Breaking the law doesn’t cause spikes, so that’s fine.

Boy oh boy.

So why are outdoor gatherings against the law?
Original post by Burton Bridge
So why are outdoor gatherings against the law?

I have no idea, you will have to ask the Government.
I have no idea, you will have to ask the Government.

Isn't the issue breaking the law?
Isn't the issue breaking the law?

I was responding to @londonmyst that claimed it would cause a spike in cases when the evidence does not support that.
I was responding to @londonmyst that claimed it would cause a spike in cases when the evidence does not support that.

Not entirely convinced that is a water tight conclusion, there is clear evidence that mixing people increases spreading of the virus.
Not entirely convinced that is a water tight conclusion, there is clear evidence that mixing people increases spreading of the virus.

Mixing does but the transmissibility of the virus outdoors is incredibly low due to the particle concentration in the air. In an enclosed space the concentration of the virus will be higher whereas outside its quickly diluted making you far less susceptible to catch it.

Studies estimate that less than 10% of COVID infections have occurred outdoors.

There has been no evidence so far that protests specifically cause a spike in cases.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending