The Student Room Group

"Kill the Bill" protest becomes a riot

Scroll to see replies

It's odd how some of the left wing members of this forum, who usually champion censorship, are against a bill that supports some level of censorship.
Original post by imlikeahermit
Except it quite simply does not do that... :rolleyes:

Why can't you answer these simple questions?
Original post by DiddyDec
Would you classify being disturbingly noisey as violence?

Would you accuse someone of violence if they annoyed or inconvenienced you?
Except it quite simply does not do that... :rolleyes:

Police imposing noise limits and start / finished times, to give two examples, aren't against the principles of free speech?
Original post by SHallowvale
Police imposing noise limits and start / finished times, to give two examples, aren't against the principles of free speech?

Absolutely not. The free speech is still being allowed, you two are just upset that your fellow left wing lunatics aren’t gonna be able to have the run of cities anymore like they did last night.
Original post by Starship Trooper
It's odd how some of the left wing members of this forum, who usually champion censorship, are against a bill that supports some level of censorship.

The censorship that I normally "chamption" (a better word would be accept) is pretty much always at the hands of private companies, not the government. If Twitter suddenly got the legal right to both censor you and fine you £2,500 I would be against that right.
Absolutely not. The free speech is still being allowed, you two are just upset that your fellow left wing lunatics aren’t gonna be able to have the run of cities anymore like they did last night.

So if I was to protest in town square and the police told me I could only protest for 10 minutes, that is in no way against free speech?
The right could (finally) be starting to learn how to play by the lefts rule book of:

'its ok when we do it'' mindset.

Rather than try to appeal/ reason with people that hate you.

@Rakas21
Aside from the politics of the new bill - the level of violence and brutality aimed at police officers was deplorable.

People seem to forget that officers are ordinary people, who left their families yesterday before going on duty. They don't deserve to finish their shift in a hospital bed. I feel sorry for the PCs and Sergeants facing the crowds yesterday. They're the ones facing the brunt of this new bill, despite having absolutely nothing to do with it.
The censorship that I normally "chamption" (a better word would be accept) is pretty much always at the hands of private companies, not the government. If Twitter suddenly got the legal right to both censor you and fine you £2,500 I would be against that right.

That would obviously be insane but I don't think there is a clear distinction between corporations and government in this matter. Eg politicians, NGOs and Tech giants having an incestuous relationship. For instance one of the strongest voices calling for more censorship on Facebook is a certain Nick Clegg.
That would obviously be insane but I don't think there is a clear distinction between corporations and government in this matter. Eg politicians, NGOs and Tech giants having an incestuous relationship. For instance one of the strongest voices calling for more censorship on Facebook is a certain Nick Clegg.

No clear distrinction between corporations and government, are you kidding? At worst, the former can remove you from their platform. In contrast, the latter can fine and even jail you.

It's insane that you think the two are comparable.
Original post by JOSH4598
They don't deserve to finish their shift in a hospital bed. I feel sorry for the PCs and Sergeants facing the crowds yesterday. They're the ones facing the brunt of this new bill, despite having absolutely nothing to do with it.

I disagree.

A- It's their job to deal with this crap

B- The police have been complicit in pandering to the woke agenda. They are now paying for this.

Hopefully this will help turn individual officers further to the right.
Aside from the politics of the new bill - the level of violence and brutality aimed at police officers was deplorable.

People seem to forget that officers are ordinary people, who left their families yesterday before going on duty. They don't deserve to finish their shift in a hospital bed. I feel sorry for the PCs and Sergeants facing the crowds yesterday. They're the ones facing the brunt of this new bill, despite having absolutely nothing to do with it.

They choose to enforce the laws laid out by the Government, they are not forced to be the Government's attack dogs. If they stand against authoritarian and draconian laws then they can choose not to enforce the laws, they can resign.

Just following orders is not a defense.
They choose to enforce the laws laid out by the Government, they are not forced to be the Government's attack dogs. If they stand against authoritarian and draconian laws then they can choose not to enforce the laws, they can resign.

Love your logic. So police officers get hurt and your post isn’t to say that the behaviour is unacceptable, it’s to say they shouldn’t be there in the first place. Deluded.
No clear distrinction between corporations and government, are you kidding? At worst, the former can remove you from their platform. In contrast, the latter can fine and even jail you.

It's insane that you think the two are comparable.

In this specific context, no it is not as black and white as you have made it out to be. True corporations can't fine or arrest you.

They can however work with other companies to destroy you via other means including getting you banned from platforms, getting you fired from your job via doxxing, taking away things like access to payment sites and domain registrars etc which is often coordinated with state apparatus.

Liberal democracies have learnt that overt repressive policies are costly and unpopular and have outsourced this to friendly private corporations.
Love your logic. So police officers get hurt and your post isn’t to say that the behaviour is unacceptable, it’s to say they shouldn’t be there in the first place. Deluded.

Can you answer the simple questions I have put to you?
Why can't you answer these simple questions?
I disagree.

A- It's their job to deal with this crap

B- The police have been complicit in pandering to the woke agenda. They are now paying for this.

Hopefully this will help turn individual officers further to the right.

It's certainly not their job to be violently attacked though. I feel the police (and by that I mean frontline officers more so than the top ranks) get bashed about on TSR when really they're following instructions and doing their best to maintain order. Of course the police have made mistakes, but at the end of the day that's somebody's mum or dad laying in hospital today for simply going into work. Being a police officer is an incredibly difficult job, with very low pay and very high risks. It's just sad that when they get injured to the extent of hospitalisation nobody seems to care.

You're right. They did chose their career and they chose to uphold law and order. My point is that nobody deserves to end up in hospital for doing their job. These protestors were not there to "stand against authoritarian and draconian laws". There's no doubt these people were there to wreak havoc and nothing else. The Chief Constable even said that this demonstration was hijacked by certain extremists - the people who want to abolish the state and every kind of authority not just resist a certain bill. If they were genuine protestors they wouldn't be torching police vans, smashing up police stations and launching fireworks towards officers.

PRSOM!
Can you answer the simple questions I have put to you?

Why are you continually trying to justify (once again) the criminal actions of your left wing chums because it doesn’t suit your beliefs? Laughable pal, laughable!
You're right. They did chose their career and they chose to uphold law and order. My point is that nobody deserves to end up in hospital for doing their job. These protestors were not there to "stand against authoritarian and draconian laws". There's no doubt these people were there to wreak havoc and nothing else. The Chief Constable even said that this demonstration was hijacked by certain extremists - the people who want to abolish the state and every kind of authority not just resist a certain bill. If they were genuine protestors they wouldn't be torching police vans, smashing up police stations and launching fireworks towards officers.

Can you see into the mind of every protester and rioter to determine their intent?

Protesters come in many forms some are peaceful like XR, others are violent like the Poll Tax riots. You can't "No True Scotsman" this.

I feel sorry for the police dog they must be so scared.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending