The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Should I apply to LSE with these grades? Worth the risk?

Hi. I'm an intl student from Pakistan, planning to apply to unis this year. I still haven't finalised my course, but expecting it to be A&F, Finance or Econ + Politics.
My grades are:
IGCSEs (CAGs of 2020) -
A in - Math & Urdu
A*s in - Eng Lang, Phy, Chem, Comp Sci, Islamiyat, Pak Studies

AS Grades (so far, I'm giving CAIEs this year)
Math - Expected A
Econ - Expected A
English Lit - Expected A
Law - Expected A

Would it be worth a shot to apply to LSE? I wanna make these decisions asap so any help is appreciated...
Do you want to start in september 2021 or september 2022?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
"Ive got the highest possible grades you can get, should I even apply :frown:". What is the point in this thread? yes.
Original post by YSkss
"Ive got the highest possible grades you can get, should I even apply :frown:". What is the point in this thread? yes.

This is why i asked if he want to start in 2021 or 2022. Because if he want to start in 2022 he should apply, but if he want to start in 2021i think that lse have stopped to accept possible students
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
This is why i asked if he want to start in 2021 or 2022. Because if he want to start in 2022 he should apply, but if he want to start in 2021i think that lse have stopped to accept possible students

im sure if they have these grades they know the deadlines. People who ask these questions mostly come on here to just receive positive feedback or compliments. Can you think of a single rational reason someone could say "dont apply".

I almost wish threads like this just got taken down unless there was an actual reason behind the question.
Original post by YSkss
im sure if they have these grades they know the deadlines. People who ask these questions mostly come on here to just receive positive feedback or compliments. Can you think of a single rational reason someone could say "dont apply".

I almost wish threads like this just got taken down unless there was an actual reason behind the question.

Yeah you are probably right.
Reply 6
Original post by YSkss

Hey.
The reasoning behind it was for an Econ or Finance course, you've gotta be really competitive in Maths and I know people who've been rejected on the basis of their IGCSEs. Plus my extra-curriculars aren't totally outstanding (particularly bcs of COVID, nothing was open this year) so I'm relying almost 90% on my grades.
I feel like having only 8 IGCSEs, and an A* in only 6 might put me at a disadvantage. Couple that w/ the fact that one of my A is in Maths, that I'm not taking Further Maths in A-Levels and that my AS subjects are less 'difficult' perhaps than others who apply, (Math, Phy, FM & Econ was a combination a senior of mine took) I'm worried that perhaps that might hurt me in the application process.
Hence the concern. And yeah, I'm planning to apply for 2022, but need to finalise my Unis by the summer. ^
Hey.
The reasoning behind it was for an Econ or Finance course, you've gotta be really competitive in Maths and I know people who've been rejected on the basis of their IGCSEs. Plus my extra-curriculars aren't totally outstanding (particularly bcs of COVID, nothing was open this year) so I'm relying almost 90% on my grades.
I feel like having only 8 IGCSEs, and an A* in only 6 might put me at a disadvantage. Couple that w/ the fact that one of my A is in Maths, that I'm not taking Further Maths in A-Levels and that my AS subjects are less 'difficult' perhaps than others who apply, (Math, Phy, FM & Econ was a combination a senior of mine took) I'm worried that perhaps that might hurt me in the application process.
Hence the concern. And yeah, I'm planning to apply for 2022, but need to finalise my Unis by the summer. ^

You should be fine with everything. Just remember to write a specific ps for the course i.e. if you apply to a BSc in econ your ps should be about by econ and if you want to do finance it must be about finance.
You should also remember that you have 5 choices with UCAS so is completely normal to use 1/2 choices to reach unis. some normal choices would be 2 reaches, 2 matches and 1 safety.
why do you want to finalise the unis by the summer? I don't know if you can send your UCAS application before mid-September and you can also apply until the 15th of October (if you want to apply to Oxbridge) or the 15th of January for every other uni, so you don't have to rush this decision
Reply 8
Hey.

Not taking further maths at A-level will hurt your application a lot.
I think you might as well try, you have 5 options why not shoot your shot!
Hey.

For the joint honours in economics and politics I don't think A-level Further Maths is as critical as for the single honours economics programmes and some of the other joint honours economics courses. For the finance courses at LSE other than A&F lack of A-level Further Maths would probably make you non-competitive. I don't think it's as important for A&F though, compared to the other finance courses, however.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending