The Student Room Group

How to become a Cyber Security Analyst?

There is not enough information online but do I need a degree or join a graduate scheme?
Original post by Candieeeyx
There is not enough information online but do I need a degree or join a graduate scheme?

You could do an apprenticeship (level 3) or a degree apprenticeship (level 4-6): https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/opportunities/cyber-security
Reply 2

You don't necessarily need a degree to get into this field. An apprenticeship may be a good alternative for you.
Candieeeyx,

From what I understand and have found out for myself, you don't need a degree but it does show your aptitude to learn and understand which is what employers are looking for, equally having certs, whilst not a pre-requisite it shows your dedication to the cause. I have been told that having the practical skill set is very much looked for, so setting up your own lab, showing activity on various sites like Hack the Box or Try Hack Me is a decent way of showing a prospective employer that you have the required practical skills to be a CEH or SOC Analyst... bear in mind i am looking at this from a Ethical Hacker point of view so it may be somewhat different.

I have found that following individuals on Twitter, LinkedIn and even subscribing to YouTube accounts have given me a massive boost to help in my roadmap..

I don't know enough about apprenticeships to comment on them but they sound like a foot in the door for sure.

Good luck
Original post by Scott Winchester
Candieeeyx,

From what I understand and have found out for myself, you don't need a degree but it does show your aptitude to learn and understand which is what employers are looking for, equally having certs, whilst not a pre-requisite it shows your dedication to the cause. I have been told that having the practical skill set is very much looked for, so setting up your own lab, showing activity on various sites like Hack the Box or Try Hack Me is a decent way of showing a prospective employer that you have the required practical skills to be a CEH or SOC Analyst... bear in mind i am looking at this from a Ethical Hacker point of view so it may be somewhat different.

I have found that following individuals on Twitter, LinkedIn and even subscribing to YouTube accounts have given me a massive boost to help in my roadmap..

I don't know enough about apprenticeships to comment on them but they sound like a foot in the door for sure.

Good luck

Certs teach you $h!t and no one cares about it, as long as you are white and can show that you are "passionate" about cyber security by studying a completely irrelevant garbage degree you are likely to be successful in this field. So yeah be white, have a degree in humanities or a closely related $h!tty subject and you are the perfect candidate for a soc career. That's the reality whether you like it or not and whether you agree or not!!! It's all about race and contacts now a days, London school of economics has done a study on racial discrimination in job recruitment and above all experienced it first hand, so don't really give a $h!t about if someone doesn't agree with the racial discrimination. This is the advanced and civilised first world!!!
(edited 3 years ago)

Hey @Candieeeyx

What's your current background in tech? Or are you just starting off and looking to choose your options for further education?

Gaining professional certifications is probably your best bet. Certifications are updated regularly, meaning the most up-to-date and relevant information is included in each course. It means you don't need to spend years at university, as they can be completed at home in a lot less time. Our students usually do the following certification pathway from CompTIA

1. CompTIA A+
2. CompTIA Network+
3. CompTIA Security+

These certs can be done online and they all include Practice Labs which give you hands-on practical experience. You can then move on to other certifications like the PenTest+ or the CEH.

I think the thing to note with cyber security is such an exciting industry! There's always something new to learn, so you'll probably find yourself doing more online courses throughout your career. One of our former students is always updating his LinkedIn profile with new courses he's completed which continue to further his knowledge, and he's been a SOC Analyst for almost 2 years. It'll keep you on your toes that's for sure.

Let me know if you have any further questions and I'd be happy to help :smile:

Jenny
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending