The Student Room Group

A100 International Students 2022 Entry Thread

Hello there! Here's the 2022 Medicine Entry Thread for international students. Please feel free to ask tons of questions + hope to build an international applicant community here! I'm from Canada, so for fellow Canadians/Americans, I have done my fair share of research and feel free to ping me for help. I'll try my best!

When time comes, please feel free to post statistics for help on which medical schools to apply + offer dates, interviews, etc. I've posted a template below for statistics, interviews + offers, shamelessly ripped from one of @ecolier 's threads. (Hope he doesn't mind!)

Applied: (date)
UCAT: (your UCAT results)
BMAT: (your BMAT results)
GCSEs/Equivalent: (your GCSEs)
A-Levels/ Degree / Equivalent : (your A-Levels)

University 1 / UCAS code
Date: (date) | Reply: Acknowledgement
Date: (date) | Reply: Interview invite / etc.
Date: (date) | Reply: Offer / Rejection

University 2 / UCAS code

University 3 / UCAS code

University 4 / UCAS code

University 5 (Your backup) / UCAS code

Good luck to all applicants! xx
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi! So glad to have come across this thread :smile:

I'm from Canada. What about you?

What schools are you thinking of applying to?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by happy_16
Hi! So glad to have come across this thread :smile:

I'm from Canada. What about you?

What schools are you thinking of applying to?

I'm from Canada as well! I'm not 100% sure about what schools I'll be applying to- I do have some sort of a list but it really depends on what UCAT/BMAT (if I take the BMAT) I get! What about you? What schools are you planning on applying to?
Reply 3
Original post by Lovebear2951
I'm from Canada as well! I'm not 100% sure about what schools I'll be applying to- I do have some sort of a list but it really depends on what UCAT/BMAT (if I take the BMAT) I get! What about you? What schools are you planning on applying to?

Great to connect with a fellow Canadian :smile: I'm from Ottawa, ON. What about you?

Same here - doing research on potential schools, but still unsure! There's so much to look into! I'm looking to take the UCAT (not the BMAT). I'm really interested in Birmingham and Southampton. I'm also thinking of applying to Australian schools.
Original post by happy_16
Great to connect with a fellow Canadian :smile: I'm from Ottawa, ON. What about you?

Same here - doing research on potential schools, but still unsure! There's so much to look into! I'm looking to take the UCAT (not the BMAT). I'm really interested in Birmingham and Southampton. I'm also thinking of applying to Australian schools.

There is tons to look into! I hope that this thread will help answer/alleviate questions regarding medicine as an international applicant. Good luck with your research! (Btw I’m from Western Canada)
Reply 5
So, I got 97% in class 9th, 97.4 in class 10th but because of the pandemic my class 11th grades got messed up so now I am getting 83% in class 11 th. Since Oxford and BSMS and ICL take UCAT and BMAT as main judgment criteria, if I get a predicted score of 90% in class 12 ( ofcourse 90% in chemistry and 90% in bio or physics and do well in BMAT or UCAT will my class 11 th grades be compensated for or should I do something else. Also I go to DPS in India. Moreover I got a work experience background in care homes and I did BSMS virtual outreach medicine school as I could not leave because of lockdown, but am hoping to get some hospital experience as well. I got some extracurricular activities such as debates, MUNs etc. and I also read up on medical news and some books of the same orientation. Moreover along with IELTS, BMAT and UCAT are there any more exams that are recommended or needed?Thank you
Original post by Kan1shka
So, I got 97% in class 9th, 97.4 in class 10th but because of the pandemic my class 11th grades got messed up so now I am getting 83% in class 11 th. Since Oxford and BSMS and ICL take UCAT and BMAT as main judgment criteria, if I get a predicted score of 90% in class 12 ( ofcourse 90% in chemistry and 90% in bio or physics and do well in BMAT or UCAT will my class 11 th grades be compensated for or should I do something else. Also I go to DPS in India. Moreover I got a work experience background in care homes and I did BSMS virtual outreach medicine school as I could not leave because of lockdown, but am hoping to get some hospital experience as well. I got some extracurricular activities such as debates, MUNs etc. and I also read up on medical news and some books of the same orientation. Moreover along with IELTS, BMAT and UCAT are there any more exams that are recommended or needed?Thank you

Hi!

I'm also an international applicant from India :smile: Did you do CBSE?

I assume 10th and 12th class are the only ones that the universities would care about, since 9th and 11th are not marked by board but they are internal school exams. Hence your 11th grade marks should not matter, and I don't think you would declare this anyway on your application on UCAS.

Oxford accepts CBSE and as far as I'm aware you need the Indian equivalent of A*AA - which as per their website for CBSE is: A1 / A1 /A1 /A2 /A2. As per Oxford, A1 = >91% , and A2 = 81-90% . So you will need to score >91% in three subjects.

From what I know anecdotally, Imperial did not accept CBSE as of many years ago. I am unfortunately not aware if this is the current situation, and you will have to email Imperial to know the same. Same goes for BSMS.

Remember for Oxford you will literally need the highest BMAT scores you can get, because I assume you would be shortlisted purely on the basis of your BMAT score and Oxford's international competition is very intense indeed, with a near to 1% offer rate. Imperial also have a high cutoff (I think it was >13 for S1 and S2 combined this year). They both would care more about your BMAT to shortlist you than your experiences. But it's nice that you are involved in such a wide range of activities, and that you have some form of WEx.BSMS on the other hand is less BMAT heavy than the two, and recommends two weeks of work experience I believe.

No, you do not need to sit any additional exam apart from the BMAT (or UCAT if you choose a UCAT uni) and IELTS. For IELTS, most will require you to have a 7 to 7.5 overall. You might have to take the NEET now if you plan to work in India after your graduation, but this is in no way looked at or even part of your application. Your university will most likely not even know what NEET is, it's more of a requirement to work in India.
Reply 7
Original post by qwert7890
Hi!

I assume 10th and 12th class are the only ones that the universities would care about, since 9th and 11th are not marked by board but they are internal school exams. Hence your 11th grade marks should not matter, and I don't think you would declare this anyway on your application on UCAS.

Oxford accepts CBSE and as far as I'm aware you need the Indian equivalent of A*AA - which as per their website for CBSE is: A1 / A1 /A1 /A2 /A2. As per Oxford, A1 = >91% , and A2 = 81-90% . So you will need to score >91% in three subjects.

From what I know anecdotally, Imperial did not accept CBSE as of many years ago. I am unfortunately not aware if this is the current situation, and you will have to email Imperial to know the same. Same goes for BSMS.

Remember for Oxford you will literally need the highest BMAT scores you can get, because I assume you would be shortlisted purely on the basis of your BMAT score and Oxford's international competition is very intense indeed, with a near to 1% offer rate. Imperial also have a high cutoff (I think it was >13 for S1 and S2 combined this year). They both would care more about your BMAT to shortlist you than your experiences. But it's nice that you are involved in such a wide range of activities, and that you have some form of WEx.BSMS on the other hand is less BMAT heavy than the two, and recommends two weeks of work experience I believe.

No, you do not need to sit any additional exam apart from the BMAT (or UCAT if you choose a UCAT uni) and IELTS. For IELTS, most will require you to have a 7 to 7.5 overall. You might have to take the NEET now if you plan to work in India after your graduation, but this is in no way looked at or even part of your application. Your university will most likely not even know what NEET is, it's more of a requirement to work in India.

Hey!
It is such a pleasure to hear all this from another candidate. I actually already mailed the ICL admissions centre for CBSE class 12( the curriculum my school follows) and this is the response they sent:
The Faculty of Medicine would look for the following grades in the Indian Class XII CBSE - AISSCE or CISCE - ISC qualifications:

91% overall, with 90% and 95% in Biology and Chemistry (in any order), and 90% in either Mathematics or Physics
BMAT
Interview (for MBBS course, not for BMS)

Also wouldn't we be getting predicted scores of class 12 as at the time of our application process board will not have been conducted. So I was worried because predicted marks depend upon previous years marks.

Thank you
(edited 3 years ago)

Hi!

I'm not sure about within medicine itself but I have seen many CBSE students at Imperial!
Original post by MohitAgarwalla
I'm not sure about within medicine itself but I have seen many CBSE students at Imperial!

Hi. Yes I know for other courses it is accepted, but I am not sure if it is for Medicine. I searched it up but unfortunately couldn’t find anything except for this: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/requirements_for_an_indian_stude

This is indeed *extremely old* and I could very well be wrong. Hence I’d recommend the applicant to check with Imperial themselves.
Hi I am an international applicant so sorry if this is a dumb question but medical schools in Ireland and Scotland have a 10,000 pound levy but The other ones don't have this. Why is that? And what is the purpose of this levy? Because the fee becomes crazy high after its addition :frown:
Hey!
It is such a pleasure to hear all this from another candidate. I actually already mailed the ICL admissions centre for CBSE class 12( the curriculum my school follows) and this is the response they sent:
The Faculty of Medicine would look for the following grades in the Indian Class XII CBSE - AISSCE or CISCE - ISC qualifications:

91% overall, with 90% and 95% in Biology and Chemistry (in any order), and 90% in either Mathematics or Physics
BMAT
Interview (for MBBS course, not for BMS)

Also wouldn't we be getting predicted scores of class 12 as at the time of our application process board will not have been conducted. So I was worried because predicted marks depend upon previous years marks.

Thank you

Sorry I’m only just seeing your post.
Yes, you would be getting predicted scores for Grade 12. It is often dependent on your previous record, you are right, but if you show significant improvement your teacher might be willing to predict you higher.

discuss this with your teacher once!
Original post by Lollapalooza2333
Hi I am an international applicant so sorry if this is a dumb question but medical schools in Ireland and Scotland have a 10,000 pound levy but The other ones don't have this. Why is that? And what is the purpose of this levy? Because the fee becomes crazy high after its addition :frown:

That’s why I steered clear of Scottish unis, despite loving almost all of them lol!

It’s the ACT levy, and it’s basically the fees you pay for the clinical placements at the associated hospitals. International students in Scotland I believe need to pay for their own clinical placement (but Scottish and RUK students ofc do not )
Does any one know , whether NEET is mandatory for Indian Students who wish to pursue Medicine in UK.
Original post by Smatthew
Does any one know , whether NEET is mandatory for Indian Students who wish to pursue Medicine in UK.

To have a valid offer and study/work in the UK? Not at all. Medical schools in the UK won’t probably even be aware of what NEET is.

However, if you plan to work in India after your education in the UK then you need to give the NEET.
To have a valid offer and study/work in the UK? Not at all. Medical schools in the UK won’t probably even be aware of what NEET is.

However, if you plan to work in India after your education in the UK then you need to give the NEET.

Ok, this means I need to qualify in NEET incase I have to Practise Medicine in India. I hope they arrange NEET online or atleast provide some centers in Middle East.
Original post by Smatthew
Ok, this means I need to qualify in NEET incase I have to Practise Medicine in India. I hope they arrange NEET online or atleast provide some centers in Middle East.

Yes, you are right.

I am not sure if they have centres in Middle East, sorry!
Yep!! I’ve been corrected far too many times by my Biology teacher - alas, force of habit.

It really bothers me cause I’m usually more pedantic about these things, but I fail to realise when I do it myself :tongue:
Well, you really do notice small things! It’s been done so many times, however, I really didn’t see it! 😂😂
for the past few years I have been studying at an Indian school outside of the UK and now that I'm that I'm close to graduating school I'm confused on how I can apply to universities in the UK .I am a British citizen and I have scored a 90% in my grade 10 CBSE exams. I want to apply for medicine at the following universities ;- Keele University -Anglia Ruskin-Kings collage London -St George university basically what I'm tryna say is do theses Unis accept CBSE , do I have to pay internationals fee , if they do accept CBSE what are my other requirements and when should I apply ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending