The Student Room Group
Mock Trial
The University of Law
Visit website

The LPC - your questions answered!

I know I had so many questions I wish I had answers to before starting the LPC! Please drop your questions here and we will do our best to answer them!

Kishan
ULaw Student Ambassador

Scroll to see replies

Are resits of the core modules capped?
Mock Trial
The University of Law
Visit website
Original post by SheaButterBaby
Are resits of the core modules capped?

Hiya

Having researched this and what the university has said, your mark is not capped. But for the Introduction to Professional Practice modules you are just marked as competent or not competent. So, for instance if you were to resit, you would just need to pass the exam! I believe that for the Wills and Solicitors Accounts modules you would not be capped your mark would be whatever you achieve in the resit, whether that is higher or lower than your first attempt.

As of this year, due to technical issues we are allowed to resit in April but this then becomes your overall mark for the CPA. I believe the CPA will be capped at a pass on the resit as well

I hope this helps :smile:

Tabby (Student Ambassador)
Hi,

I'm considering applying for the LPC LLM online course. would you be able to tell me about it? I specifically want to know:
-how the course is structured
-how much interaction/engagement there is
-how it will be examined
but just generally how it is taught!

Thank you
Original post by susie9598
Hi,

I'm considering applying for the LPC LLM online course. would you be able to tell me about it? I specifically want to know:
-how the course is structured
-how much interaction/engagement there is
-how it will be examined
but just generally how it is taught!

Thank you

Hi there!

I'm glad to hear you're looking to apply for the LPC LLM online course.

In terms of course structure, there are 7 modules required by the SRA (4 core areas plus 3 electives), plus 2 additional modules studied if you are wanting a master’s award. You start the LPC by starting the core practice areas, and following those exams, you'll then start 3 electives. On the LLM, you'll have an additional elective and a Professional Practice Research Report.

In terms of interaction and engagement, each class is online and a lot of classes will have breakout rooms for group discussions. The Online course means that you will study in your own time to a series of deadlines that correspond to the weeks in which parallel events occur on the attendance course. There are occasional real-time online tutor sessions (equivalent to the occasional live lecture sessions); however the majority of the learning is through online tools and reading. The Units are delivered on the University’s Virtual Learning Environment (‘VLE’) and in a staged format

Prepare (including automated feedback on any preparatory task for the Unit);
Engage (which will involve a variety of learning tools, including working with other students online to produce documentation) and
Consolidate, containing important supplementary exercises.

All stages can and will include reading and online tutorial content (not live; staged structures) and other media which is recorded and available on the VLE. Occasional live lecture sessions, including interactivity, of up to 180 students, one hour in length. Test and Feedback exercises are available as part of the preparation and/or consolidation and you're expected to participate fully in all activities and carry out your own independent learning and preparation as directed by the tutors and materials.

All of the examinations are taken online for this academic year and likely for the next one too.

I hope this answers all of your questions but please do ask any other questions you might have and someone will get back to you!

Kishan
ULaw Student Ambassador
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Hello,I am also interested in the i-LPC and I was wondering whether there are any online live workshops as part of the course or whether the workshops are just pre-recorded?Also, what do you mean exactly by 'automated feedback'?Thank you!
Original post by Law9078
Hello,I am also interested in the i-LPC and I was wondering whether there are any online live workshops as part of the course or whether the workshops are just pre-recorded?Also, what do you mean exactly by 'automated feedback'?Thank you!

Hi Law9078,

There are some pre-recorded workshops that are upload and pre-recorded demonstrations that specific for a section of work you are covering (not all but most units have them). There are no live workshops except the compulsory face to face session (or now online) that need to be attended (these are generally planned for a weekend). Being an online student and if you do not attend lecture then any work you submit will be maked individually with feedback. This is in addition to the model answer that gets release once the submission dealine is up for a specific task - this is the automated feeedback.

Hope this helps.

Tam
Student Ambassador - ULaw
Reply 7
Hi, i am enrolled for the September start, and was wondering if there is any recommended pre reading?
Hi there, I want to start the LPC either in September or January. Do students on average do better on the LPC when they are doing it part-time or when they are doing it full-time? Also, if I do the LPC in January, will the exams be online?
Original post by Alexpie
Hi, i am enrolled for the September start, and was wondering if there is any recommended pre reading?

Sorry to be nosy but do you have a TC? just asking around as I want to do the LPC either in September or January and was wondering if there will be many students without a TC.
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous
Sorry to be nosy but do you have a TC? just asking around as I want to do the LPC either in September or January and was wondering if there will be many students without a TC.

No, i dont have a TC
Hello hello,

My names Charlie, I'm 25 and due to start the LPC in September!!

I'd love to live with other people studying the LPC and so I created a Facebook page called 'LPC Housemate/ Flatmate Finder' It's a group in which people can come together to find others that are studying the LPC. Feel free to join!

All the best
Reply 12
Hi! Thank you for starting this thread! I’m currently studying the LPC and was hoping to get something cleared up.If I have to resit any one my exams does that cap my final LPC classification to pass? Or is it only if i (god forbid) fail a CPA/Elective? Either way would my final LPC classification be capped? Is that a ULaw thing? Or a SRA thing?
Original post by D.Kaur
Hi! Thank you for starting this thread! I’m currently studying the LPC and was hoping to get something cleared up.If I have to resit any one my exams does that cap my final LPC classification to pass? Or is it only if i (god forbid) fail a CPA/Elective? Either way would my final LPC classification be capped? Is that a ULaw thing? Or a SRA thing?

Hi D.Kaur

It does unfortunately. To get a distinction need to pass all course at first attempt. A Commendation only one fail and have to pass the failed subject on second attempt. Otherwise will just receive a pass.

Hope that helps,
Tam
Student Ambassador ULaw
Original post by The University of Law Students
Hi D.Kaur

It does unfortunately. To get a distinction need to pass all course at first attempt. A Commendation only one fail and have to pass the failed subject on second attempt. Otherwise will just receive a pass.

Hope that helps,
Tam
Student Ambassador ULaw

Hi there Tam,

I have recently received my final results and I failed an elective exam on the LPC. I averaged out at a Commendation for the LPC LLM until this happened. I have been told that I am now capped at a Pass, and I have not been given the option to keep my commendation after failing an elective on first attempt unless I drop the LLM masters element. What would you advise that I do now? As I am gutted :frown:

Many thanks.
Hi,

I have a question about my core module exams and wonder whether you can help me?

I have a gut feeling I didn't do very well in my business and real estate no matter how hard I revised for them, will getting a low mark in two core modules but then do really well in my remaining core and electives impact my overall grade? I am in process of potentially joining a top business law school in the US and they require the following:
1. Gain a 69%+ overall.
2. Not failing any exams first time.
3. Be in the top 70% of students.

Therefore, will the 2 low core exam marks cause damaging effects on their own?
Thank you.
I know I had so many questions I wish I had answers to before starting the LPC! Please drop your questions here and we will do our best to answer them!

Kishan
ULaw Student Ambassador

Hi how long is the resit application window please? Thank you
Reply 17
Hiya

Having researched this and what the university has said, your mark is not capped. But for the Introduction to Professional Practice modules you are just marked as competent or not competent. So, for instance if you were to resit, you would just need to pass the exam! I believe that for the Wills and Solicitors Accounts modules you would not be capped your mark would be whatever you achieve in the resit, whether that is higher or lower than your first attempt.

As of this year, due to technical issues we are allowed to resit in April but this then becomes your overall mark for the CPA. I believe the CPA will be capped at a pass on the resit as well

I hope this helps :smile:

Tabby (Student Ambassador)

Hi I have to resit wills and administration, will be this capped and will it mean I can only get a pass overall
On the LPC
Reply 18
Thank you! Unfortunately due to my condition I did so badly in my CPA all failed and was so upsetting to have those grades on my recorded, as I imagine my status of Pass is going to be turn off for employers even if I get high percentages in my resits. I should have stuck to my guns and took the SQE, I was influenced by the law firms I wanted to work saying they only take LPC students and it’s really hard.

Thank you, I got 73% in my IPP

Kishan
ULaw Student Ambassador

Hi!

I am starting the LPC this September, and I wanted to ask something about choosing the right electives.

I havent got a TC yet, but hoping to get a legal role alongside my part time lpc. If I have already done, for example, medical negligence during my LLB, should I pick it again for my elective choices, if I want to apply to med neg firms in the future. Reason I'm asking is, that I want to keep all my options open atm. So any advice is appreciated. Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending