The Student Room Group

Are you a girl gamer? Join the discussion and express ur views

So i play on console and through personal experiences ive found guys are shocked that im good on games.

What is this view that girls cant get as good as a guy while playing multiplayer?
I mean i took down a few players on gta online and a guy was shockd he got owned by a woman 😅😂. I mean is their a difference?

Id like your view on why this may be and tell me what game u play and on what platform?

----------

Horizon zero dawn
GTA V
Playstation 4
Reply 1
perhaps it's the same/similar views that girls aren't as good at physical sports, or that guys feel like they are better for some reason.
ofc there are girls who are better than boys in sports but there do seem to be prejudice that girl will do worse until they show otherwise
grill here
Guys are usually shocked if I mention I have a Steam account (or actually understand what Steam is... or have heard of any game ever, although that's me generalising a bit haha).
I think it's just a lot more uncommon that girls play games/are good at games. Although I think it's definitely growing in popularity!

I tend to just play PC games as it's what I find easiest to get hold of ^_^
My favourite genre is RPG (so I'm all over the place tbh) and very occasionally I try online games but my internet SUCKS so my team always ends up hating me.
Reply 4
I play on a pc and most guys are surprised it was my own build, ahaha ;p

Original post by FlowerTron
Guys are usually shocked if I mention I have a Steam account (or actually understand what Steam is... or have heard of any game ever, although that's me generalising a bit haha).
I think it's just a lot more uncommon that girls play games/are good at games. Although I think it's definitely growing in popularity!

I tend to just play PC games as it's what I find easiest to get hold of ^_^
My favourite genre is RPG (so I'm all over the place tbh) and very occasionally I try online games but my internet SUCKS so my team always ends up hating me.

AGREED.
I'm not trying to be sexist here, but it seems like a lot of female gamers aren't as competitive when it comes to video games for whatever reason. Maybe they aren't as dedicated because their friends don't play, or they spend more time with friends. Of the few girls I've seen play first person shooters (CS:GO specifically), nearly all of them are of an average skill level or below.
I play PS4, guys are always shocked that a girl can play good, I was grinding the new COD this weekend on top of work and school work and got from level 20 to level 51 ahah
Well I used to play bo2 on PS3 better than my bf lol who I would beat in 2.3 seconds and he was really shocked when I first beat him and his friend would say no way she's playing that and called me a cheat; actually loads of people did because they just didn't believe a girl could be that good like wtf doesn't make me any different
Original post by Megahero
perhaps it's the same/similar views that girls aren't as good at physical sports, or that guys feel like they are better for some reason.
ofc there are girls who are better than boys in sports but there do seem to be prejudice that girl will do worse until they show otherwise

But then, there’s a reason that men and women’s football (and other sports, but more notably football) teams are kept separate. Generally, men are a lot stronger, and it wouldn’t be an entirely fair game.

I realise strength doesn’t equate to how good you are at something, but I can see as a girl why the separation is in place.
My favourite console is probably the 3DS, especially because of the wide range of games available. I love the little stylus, it's unique to the 3DS :cute:
Off Topic but I remember I think on The Crew or NFS (the 2015 one/flop), there was a girl who partook in a gymkhana with me, and thrashed me. To be fair, I reckon she had a better car, plus I didn't have the funds to tune my gtr to perfection but ya know... I didn't even know girls played racing games xD I have come across a couple on Rocket league, but its kind of rare to see a girl on the mic especially on ps4 nowadays. Back in PS3 since there was no party chat, it was more common then now.
Original post by Esme6560
Well I used to play bo2 on PS3 better than my bf lol who I would beat in 2.3 seconds and he was really shocked when I first beat him and his friend would say no way she's playing that and called me a cheat; actually loads of people did because they just didn't believe a girl could be that good like wtf doesn't make me any different

thats so true same happened to me
Reply 12
I'm into more retro games, 80s/90s adventure games are my bread and butter and those tended to have quite gender-balanced fanbases and the developers were focused on story, puzzles, creative thinking and patience - which aren't really stereotyped one way.
(edited 4 years ago)
You're not a "gamer" if you haven't played Half-Life or Halo
i really really love gaming. especially mystery and thriller games.
if you're someone into such type of games, you must try god of war, prince of persia and (omg my fav) uncharted series.
do try 'heavy rain', ''last of us'' and ''beyond two souls''. really nice plot and gameplay. feels like you're watching a movie.
Original post by cresselle
So i play on console and through personal experiences ive found guys are shocked that im good on games.

What is this view that girls cant get as good as a guy while playing multiplayer?
I mean i took down a few players on gta online and a guy was shockd he got owned by a woman 😅😂. I mean is their a difference?

Id like your view on why this may be and tell me what game u play and on what platform?

----------

Horizon zero dawn
GTA V
Playstation 4

Ima guy but I play Minecraft online with classmates, and some of them are girls, I think that some guys just have the opinion that girls are inferior, or its just how video games are advertised as masculine or smth.
I play overwatch a lot on ps4 and whenever I see a girly username I instantly think she is going to be bad because that has been my experience when playing. I am a female myself but always think that we are going to lose as soon as I see a girly username because that person in the past has usually been part of the reason why we lost. I get war flashbacks when I see a username like 'gamergirlll67' or 'xxrachelxx' on my team (these are not real usernames I have seen, I just made them up for examples). I'd give props to them for trying if it looked like they even TRIED but usually these 'girl gamers' would just heal the 1 person in their party and ignore everyone else on the team which would be the reason why we lose. Then when I have messaged them asking why aren't they healing in a competitive match I get 'Cuz I am girl ha ha' or 'Cause my boyfriend wanted me to heal him' - these have been real examples of what replies I have had.
Sorry for the rant, but that is just Overwatch I am just referring to, so it could be different with different audiences.
Omg I am a girl and I play games I play Fortnite, Minecraft, Roblox, Counter Strike Global Offensive and use my PS4 regularly
Original post by Artemis164
I am a female myself but always think that we are going to lose as soon as I see a girly username because that person in the past has usually been part of the reason why we lost. I get war flashbacks when I see a username like 'gamergirlll67' or 'xxrachelxx' on my team (these are not real usernames I have seen, I just made them up for examples).

when i see names/profiles like that i always think that they are actually male
Reply 19
3 year old thread.

That being said, I mainly play Valorant.

Quick Reply

Latest