The Student Room Group

Official Ireland 2021 University applicant thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Anonymous
im probably going rcsi

Yea same! Are you on the 5 or 6 year program?
Original post by divking
Yea same! Are you on the 5 or 6 year program?

5 wbu
Reply 62
5 wbu

ah im in the 6 year program lol
hey, i’ve applied to a variety of courses at trinity college dublin. my top choice is geography & sociology :biggrin:
I've also applied to Trinity but I'm not sure whether they'll count my October exam grade towards the CAO points because apparently they have to be in the same sitting and I only sat one subject in October while the other two I kept the CAGs
Original post by divking
ah im in the 6 year program lol

did u pay the deposit
Reply 66
did u pay the deposit

debating on it currently. have u?
Original post by divking
debating on it currently. have u?

yes
Reply 68
I'm thinking of applying trinity, however, in their entry requirements they say they require a foreign language gcse which I do not have. Does this mean that I'm ineligible to apply and there's no point? Or are they not strict on this requirement.
Original post by spchee
I'm thinking of applying trinity, however, in their entry requirements they say they require a foreign language gcse which I do not have. Does this mean that I'm ineligible to apply and there's no point? Or are they not strict on this requirement.

Unfortunately I think it is strict. If you have Latin or Greek I think it also counts? You could always just try and self teach yourself a language GCSE? You only really need to pass to meet the requirements don't need a 9
Reply 70
What counts as a pass?
Would a 1 count as a pass?

Because I'd be starting from near scratch and would only have like a month to learn?
Original post by spchee
What counts as a pass?
Would a 1 count as a pass?

Because I'd be starting from near scratch and would only have like a month to learn?

I think 4 or 5 is a pass
anyone else’s CAO ID not working on the trinity college dublin accomodation portal?
Original post by azby1098
anyone else’s CAO ID not working on the trinity college dublin accomodation portal?

Yep just tried it, said 'No student record available, please try later...'
Original post by Asdfguy123
Yep just tried it, said 'No student record available, please try later...'

yeah that’s what my said too
Hi, I applied to UCC from England. I don't remember being asked to 'briefly describe the examinations' but I would imagine that means outline what kind of exams you took (you mention German Abitur), what subjects they were in, and the year you took them. I don't know if the German Abitur is the equivalent of GCSEs (Irish Junior Cert) or A Levels (Irish Leaving Cert), but you should mention all public exams you have taken.

When submitting certificates, you should get a photocopy of each certificate, send this to your school, and get them to sign and stamp it to prove these are accurate results (and that you haven't make them up). You then need to write your full name and CAO number at the top of each piece of paper. This means you keep the original certificates and you send the photocopies to CAO. CAO keep your photocopied versions, which is why they ask for photocopies and not the real thing.

I've applied through CAO twice (2021 and 2020 entry), so have a good understanding of how the system works and am happy to answer any other questions you have.

Hi, hope you don't mind me asking questions regarding medicine entry 2022 as I will need to take a gap year ( 2021 is a failure to me sadly ). I'm also a pupil from England but only studying 3 A levels with EPQ, I do have AS & A level in foreign language ( Chinese ), achieved in 2017 & 2018 so not sure if they count as points. With my 3 A levels ( 1 of them is Maths ) and EPQ, I do wonder if I qualify for the minimum requirement.
I have only recently started looking up for medical schools in Ireland so not having a lot of background knowledge on the difference between each medical schools. Would you mind sharing your thoughts ?. Do I need to apply strategically in order to maximum chances of getting in , like we do for UCAS or basically put them in the order of own preferences? Thanks
Hey, I'm an EU student and I'm going to apply for medicine in TCD next year. Does anyone know whether it matters which subjects on the school-leaving certificate are scored the highest? On the website it's stated that the first four subjects will be counted towards the CAO points and it'll be probably higher level Biology, Chemistry, English and German in my case. I'm also taking higher level Maths but it's highly unlikely that I'll have a proper score, so I was wondering whether they will look down on my application if my CAO points come from languages rather than Maths.
Hi all,

Ive apllied for mature entry Dentistry at UCC and Trinity and have an interview this month. Anyone else?
Original post by kate_858
Hi all,

Ive apllied for mature entry Dentistry at UCC and Trinity and have an interview this month. Anyone else?

heyy im an international undergrad student that applied to UCC and Trinity dentistry this yr
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Asdfguy123
I've also applied to Trinity but I'm not sure whether they'll count my October exam grade towards the CAO points because apparently they have to be in the same sitting and I only sat one subject in October while the other two I kept the CAGs

I did all 3 subjects in October and got a higher grade in 2 and a lower grade in the 3rd. Ireland and the UK are doing a similar thing in terms of 'mix and match' of October and Summer grades. If you got a higher grade than you were originally given in the October exams this grade will count as your 'final' grade for that subject and you can use that grade for CAO as both Ireland and the UK have said the summer sitting and October sitting will count as the same sitting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending