The Student Room Group

How much for a week? Uni student

After my accommodation I’ve got around £50 a week plus £50 from parents so £100 total obviously I won’t spend that in a week except maybe at freshers but do you feel this is enough without having a job or should I get one?

No issue with working but I don’t want to work all weekends while friends are out. What radio of people part time jobs at uni to those who don’t?
If you think you aren’t going to spend £100 in a week and that’s what your getting what would by the point of getting a job if you have money left over every week, have some fun!
Also are you in catered accommodation? If it’s self catered you will have to buy food etc and may need transport to and from if the accommodation isn’t near to your campus
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Also are you in catered accommodation? If it’s self catered you will have to buy food etc and may need transport to and from if the accommodation isn’t near to your campus

Accommodation is all within walking distance. I’m only an hour from home so my mum will be doing my washing at rotating my clothes etc every 2 weeks. It is self catered but I don’t like takeaway and I don’t eat much tbh I could get by on 10 to 15 a week for food. I do like a drink though and could eat out once a week but this will never go over 50 or 60 a week for food and nights out. Is it still worth me getting a job if others have one too?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
If you think you aren’t going to spend £100 in a week and that’s what your getting what would by the point of getting a job if you have money left over every week, have some fun!

Just if others have jobs would be pointless me just sat around if they all are working. Chances are they won’t all be working at the same time but you never know
Original post by Ivyreign
Just if others have jobs would be pointless me just sat around if they all are working. Chances are they won’t all be working at the same time but you never know

It depends, when you say you like to drink and go out what do you mean? When I go out (well the last pre covid time) id easily spend £50 just like that on one night easily. Drinks out are very expensive and so are taxis there and back and food while your out. Added into the fact the more you drink the worst your money management is.
After my accommodation I’ve got around £50 a week plus £50 from parents so £100 total obviously I won’t spend that in a week except maybe at freshers but do you feel this is enough without having a job or should I get one?

No issue with working but I don’t want to work all weekends while friends are out. What radio of people part time jobs at uni to those who don’t?

Hello!

=Budgeting can be a really challenging thing to do as a student, but you have support provided from your university if you do find that you are struggling I usually spend £50-60 a week but with lockdown I've been spending less.

The biggest bit of advice I can say is:
1. Meal plan and prep
- Planning and prepping what you will be cooking for the week will help a lot! This means that when you go to the supermarket you know what you need to buy.
- I have teamed up with my housemate and we do a food shop together and split the cost and then i cook and he washes up haha! I find that when I do this I spend around £25 a week on food.
- Then with alcohol (would previously go to pubs and bars and spend £20 a week) my flatmates are choosing to do cocktail nights and games nights so can buy alcohol at the supermarket then drink in during the week at the moment during lockdown.

2. Planning and organising your money
- This will help you know your spending habits and you can go from there. I use Monzo to help save as you can have multiple savings accounts and you can find out what you spend your money on specifically.

I find planning out my money the most useful way to stay on budget and only limiting myself to a set amount each week in my bank to avoid overspending. Some weeks you'll find you spend more and others less, but I think keeping to a budget is a really good skill to learn and you'll find it can be done

3. Part Time Job.
Around half- 3/4 of all my friends have had a part-time job whilst at uni or worked over the holidays when not at uni to save money.
Before starting uni I had a full time job over summer to save to be able to pay for rent which was very helpful. Also, over the summer before uni I was madly applying to lots of jobs at my university city and it can be really stressful trying to find a job, but you will find one that suits you!

I've had a job throughout my three years at uni doing anywhere from 4-16 hours a week and managed to balance my life style. I've worked as a retail assistant at two different shops and a front of house assistant at a theatre. You have to find what works best for you, and stay organised so that your prioritise your uni work/ revision, but also manage to have time to relax and chill out. I looked on Indeed for jobs as well as shopping centres own career pages (which is how I found out about the two retail assistant jobs). You can set up alerts on Indeed to send you an email when a new job is posted, and I found this so helpful! It's difficult at the moment due to covid as a lot of student jobs involve retail/ catering. However, this doesn't mean you can't set up an alert to notify you, as places may be hiring for when shops/ cafes/ pubs open.

I have worked the past year working as a Student Ambassador, which I have loved so much! Its very well paid and flexible around my uni work. I would really recommend! I found the job on my university careers page. This is a really useful source to find a job internally in the University, but also an external job in the local area, as I found jobs posted on my careers page that weren't on Indeed. So definitely have a look from now until summer at your university's career page to see if you can sort a job for when you start uni! :smile:

Best of luck!
Sam- Official Student Rep:smile:

Hey @Ivyreign

I try and budget for around £350 a month so between £80-£90 a week. I also have to factor in other costs each month such as train tickets and car costs. Additional costs include my netflix account and my phone contract. I also used to budget for going out during the week or at the weekend after work. I do a weekly online shop at tesco and plan my meals ahead for the week, this usually costs around £20-£30 a week. This really helps me save money on lunches as I make my lunch at home and I’m not tempted to buy anything on campus. When I lived with my friends during my undergrad we used to have flat dinners once a week and take it in turns to cook which helped save us money too. I also use a spreadsheet to track my monthly spending and this helps me to stick to my budget :smile:

I've worked throughout my undergrad and postgrad in different retail roles. I had a part-time job in a supermarket that was a two-minute drive from my flat during my undergrad and it really helped me save time on transport costs. Throughout my postgrad, I've found opportunities within the university such as student ambassador work which involves helping out at open days and applicant events. We also got to accompany international students on trips around Scotland when they came over for summer school. I've also worked in the library as an ambassador which involved me working on various projects and helping students return books etc. Other departments such as the registration department hire students during freshers week to help register students and hand out student cards. There are plenty of opportunities :smile:

I've continued my student ambassador role online during the pandemic. I work around 9 hours per week and this has fit in well with my studies. If you're planning on staying on campus and get a job at the uni then you'll be close by for lectures and work. If you're happy to work anywhere then just apply to as many places as you can! Indeed and various other job sites are always looking to hire so have a look on those.

Good luck :smile:

Melissa- Student Ambassador
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Hey @Ivyreign

I try and budget for around £350 a month so between £80-£90 a week. I also have to factor in other costs each month such as train tickets and car costs. Additional costs include my netflix account and my phone contract. I also used to budget for going out during the week or at the weekend after work. I do a weekly online shop at tesco and plan my meals ahead for the week, this usually costs around £20-£30 a week. This really helps me save money on lunches as I make my lunch at home and I’m not tempted to buy anything on campus. When I lived with my friends during my undergrad we used to have flat dinners once a week and take it in turns to cook which helped save us money too. I also use a spreadsheet to track my monthly spending and this helps me to stick to my budget :smile:

I've worked throughout my undergrad and postgrad in different retail roles. I had a part-time job in a supermarket that was a two-minute drive from my flat during my undergrad and it really helped me save time on transport costs. Throughout my postgrad, I've found opportunities within the university such as student ambassador work which involves helping out at open days and applicant events. We also got to accompany international students on trips around Scotland when they came over for summer school. I've also worked in the library as an ambassador which involved me working on various projects and helping students return books etc. Other departments such as the registration department hire students during freshers week to help register students and hand out student cards. There are plenty of opportunities :smile:

I've continued my student ambassador role online during the pandemic. I work around 9 hours per week and this has fit in well with my studies. If you're planning on staying on campus and get a job at the uni then you'll be close by for lectures and work. If you're happy to work anywhere then just apply to as many places as you can! Indeed and various other job sites are always looking to hire so have a look on those.

Good luck :smile:

Hey thanks for the reply some helpful info there. I already have a job where I live now in a greeneking pub, I was just going to ask for a transfer but I live in a rural town and the pub I work at is more of a restaurant and I just serve food. I wasn’t going to work as I don’t want the pressure of working in a busy bar in a city. I pay look for another job, my mum works on the phones and she got talking to a customer from the city I’m going to for uni and he works at B&M and he said they are always hiring and he gave me a contact number.

I may just work when I go home for Christmas Easter and summer

Another question, my accommodation contract is 44 weeks end of sep to mid July. Obviously they’ll go home for Christmas but do students tend to go home for Easter and summer or not?
Hey thanks for the reply some helpful info there. I already have a job where I live now in a greeneking pub, I was just going to ask for a transfer but I live in a rural town and the pub I work at is more of a restaurant and I just serve food. I wasn’t going to work as I don’t want the pressure of working in a busy bar in a city. I pay look for another job, my mum works on the phones and she got talking to a customer from the city I’m going to for uni and he works at B&M and he said they are always hiring and he gave me a contact number.

Another question, my accommodation contract is 44 weeks end of sep to mid July. Obviously they’ll go home for Christmas but do students tend to go home for Easter and summer or not?

Hey @Ivyreign,

Hope you're well :smile:

I think the ambassadors here have done a great job of answering your first message, so I thought I'd just send you a quick reply about leaving your accommodation!

I've gone home for Christmas, Easter and summer during my time at uni, and my friends and others in my accommodation have all done the same. Obviously you're still paying to be there during the Christmas and Easter breaks, so you can stay if you like. However, if you're anything like me, you'll be buzzing to see your home friends and be looked after by your parents again!

Depending on your course, you might get a reading week around half term dates when you could go home as well.

Hope that helps! :tongue:

Sophie - Student Ambassador

That sounds promising :smile:

Many students work in the summer or christmas and easter breaks whilst others prefer to have a part-time job throughout the academic year. It's totally up to yourself what you prefer to do!

Students don't always go home for easter and summer as during the easter break they often want to catch up on classes and revise for their upcoming exams (usually held in the May exam diet). Others prefer to go home at easter to see their family/friends at home, do a bit of studying and relax. Or they may be going on holiday in the easter break! Summer is a bit different, I spent a couple of summers in my uni city as I had a part-time job and wanted to do overtime in the summer. I went home for the summer after my first year at uni as I didn't have a job that year. You'll get into a routine and see what works best for you :smile:

If you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer them!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending