The Student Room Group

Nuffield Research Placements 2021

There does not seem to be a thread for Nuffield research placements in 2021, so I've decided to create one:smile:. Feel free to post any questions or queries you may have and hopefully we can all help each other. Nuffield alumni, current applicants and prospective applicants are welcome!

Curious to know what I'm applying for?:h:

Spoiler

If anyone has been successful in getting a research placement (or will be successful), please do share any tips and advice you may have!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by smalih15
There does not seem to be a thread for Nuffield research placements in 2021, so I've decided to create one:smile:. Feel free to post any questions or queries you may have and hopefully we can all help each other. Nuffield alumni, current applicants and prospective applicants are welcome!

Spoiler

If anyone has been successful in getting a research placement (or will be successful), please do share any tips and advice you may have!

I'm not in year 12, I'll be applying next year but do you know how many subjects there are for the placement and if GCSE grades are required?
Reply 2
Original post by Ice.Log
I'm not in year 12, I'll be applying next year but do you know how many subjects there are for the placement and if GCSE grades are required?

This year there are 16 subjects:
Astronomy/Astrophysics
Social Sciences
Biochemistry
Biology
Biomedical Sciences
Chemistry
Computing
Earth Sciences
Engineering/Manufacturing
Environmental
Forensic
Geography
Mathematics
Physics
Psychology
Statistics/Data Science

But there is also an optional field to state any other specific subject areas you are interested in.

They do take GCSE grades into account but you should be fine as long as you meet the minimum grade requirements - 'You must have at least five GCSEs or Scottish Nationals at grade B/grade 6 or above, including maths, a science subject, and English or another humanities subject'.
Reply 3
Astronomy/Astrophysics
Social Sciences
Biochemistry
Biology
Biomedical Sciences
Chemistry
Computing
Earth Sciences
Environmental
Forensic
Geography
Mathematics
Physics
Psychology
Statistics/Data Science

But there is also an optional field to state any other specific subject areas you are interested in.

They do take GCSE grades into account but you should be fine as long as you meet the minimum grade requirements - 'You must have at least five GCSEs or Scottish Nationals at grade B/grade 6 or above, including maths, a science subject, and English or another humanities subject'.

Ooh okay, thank you. Would you say competition is fierce for these placements?
Reply 4
Original post by Ice.Log
Ooh okay, thank you. Would you say competition is fierce for these placements?

I would say so, but it may also vary by region. In the East, there were over 1000 applicants last year, and only ~100 were successful.
Astronomy/Astrophysics
Social Sciences
Biochemistry
Biology
Biomedical Sciences
Chemistry
Computing
Earth Sciences
Environmental
Forensic
Geography
Mathematics
Physics
Psychology
Statistics/Data Science

Hi,

I just want to add that there are medicine related placements available in the east for this summer 😊
Reply 6
Original post by studentLuna
Hi,

I just want to add that there are medicine related placements available in the east for this summer 😊

I did not know this! Thank you for letting me know😊
Reply 7
Hi there!
I'm currently in the process of applying for a nuffield placement and these are my subject preferences:
1. biology
2. chemistry
3. biochemistry
4. mathematics

Has anyone got any advice for the personal statement?
(edited 3 years ago)
I did not know this! Thank you for letting me know😊

Your welcome 😊 I can’t even start my application as there’s been a problem with my account 😭 I’m worried I might not finish it in time.
Reply 9
Hi! I already submitted my application. I do Sociology, psychology and Spanish for A levels.

My preferences:
1. Psychology
2. Biomedical sciences
3. Biology
4. Social sciences
Other: Forensics
Astronomy/Astrophysics
Social Sciences
Biochemistry
Biology
Biomedical Sciences
Chemistry
Computing
Earth Sciences
Environmental
Forensic
Geography
Mathematics
Physics
Psychology
Statistics/Data Science

Yeah they do take GCSES into account based on the secondary school you took it at. but they mainly take your personal statement and eligibility into consideration.

They will more likely be lenient if your school didnt perform as well compared to nationally e.g if your school had a low percentage of ppl achieving 5 in English and Maths.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by s8520
Hi there!
I'm currently in the process of applying for a nuffield placement and these are my subject preferences:
1. biology
2. chemistry
3. biochemistry
4. mathematics

Has anyone got any advice for the personal statement?

I can't really say much as I am also applying, but during one of the informational webinars on the application process, I asked about who actually sees the personal statement. They said both your regional coordinator and the host organisation will view your personal statement; so depending on what kind of organisation you're hoping to be hosted by, you may want to think about things like whether your personal statement is academic enough, or whether it is too academic and you haven't discussed other qualities such as time management.

I made sure to mention academic strengths that will appeal to the host organisation, but also ensured that I talked about soft skills and qualities that will also appeal to the regional coordinator.
Reply 12
I can't really say much as I am also applying, but during one of the informational webinars on the application process, I asked about who actually sees the personal statement. They said both your regional coordinator and the host organisation will view your personal statement; so depending on what kind of organisation you're hoping to be hosted by, you may want to think about things like whether your personal statement is academic enough, or whether it is too academic and you haven't discussed other qualities such as time management.

I made sure to mention academic strengths that will appeal to the host organisation, but also ensured that I talked about soft skills and qualities that will also appeal to the regional coordinator.

Thank you so much! This was really helpful,
Good luck with your application! :smile:
do you know when we get shortlisted by any chance?
How exactly do they select you? is it based on personal statement / predicted grades / GCSE grades / or all of them.
Reply 15
Original post by CodeX420
How exactly do they select you? is it based on personal statement / predicted grades / GCSE grades / or all of them.

I think all of them but I think they use the personal statement to see if they have a placement that might be good for you?

Spoiler

i know this is from a few months ago but so far i’ve been shortlisted to stage 2 which the deadline for the assessment is 29th march!! hoping i get through.

i put my interests as biomed and medicine so guessing it’ll be quite competitive🙂
Reply 17
Original post by annawelchh
i know this is from a few months ago but so far i’ve been shortlisted to stage 2 which the deadline for the assessment is 29th march!! hoping i get through.

i put my interests as biomed and medicine so guessing it’ll be quite competitive🙂

Well done! Roughly how long after you applied did you find out you were shortlisted?
thank you!! i think the deadline was the 17th of march and i found out on the day that i’d made it to stage 2 :smile:

done the assessment and hopefully will get through to the next stage, whatever it is, which the deadline is 29th march!
Original post by annawelchh

Hey, what is the assessment about?

Latest