The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The police officer that did this weeks mass shooting press briefing did a better job than the police officer that did last weeks mass shooting press briefing. Beyond that i'm just numb to it.

I knew it was bad in the US but I didn't realise the sheer scale of the mass shootings, 107 mass shootings and we are a quarter of the way through the year.
Mass shootings are just part of the American culture at this point and it’s most likely never going to change.

People won’t give up their right to bear arms, even if it does mean that mentally unstable civilians can buy automatic weapons designed for military use.
Original post by IanDangerously
Mass shootings are just part of the American culture at this point and it’s most likely never going to change.

People won’t give up their right to bear arms, even if it does mean that mentally unstable civilians can buy automatic weapons designed for military use.

Automatic weapons are actually pretty hard to get hold of.
Reply 5
Just another day in the land of the free.
Reply 6

As diddy said, automatic weapons are incredibly hard to get ahold of, unless youre a gun smith (or similar) or are a company.
People grinding certain bits of the gun to turn them into full auto though.. well.
At any rate, the Luty principle applies in this imo.
Original post by Napp
As diddy said, automatic weapons are incredibly hard to get ahold of, unless youre a gun smith (or similar) or are a company.
People grinding certain bits of the gun to turn them into full auto though.. well.
At any rate, the Luty principle applies in this imo.

Or rich enough to be able to buy one of the automatic weapons made/imported prior to 1986. As you can imagine these weapons are finite and very expensive.
Original post by DiddyDec

Guns that fire far more bullets than necessary for self defence then? It seems some of the guns people are buying over there are designed more for mass murder than anything else.

The 2nd amendment should be scaled back to only allow small handguns. :smile:
Reply 9
Oh it's America, nothing to see here, move on
Guns that fire far more bullets than necessary for self defence then? It seems some of the guns people are buying over there are designed more for mass murder than anything else.

The fundamental problem is you can't scale back the 2nd amendment when it has already gone this far. Would you want to be the one trying to take away someone's Barratt .50 BMG anti material rifle while they have it loaded up with armour piercing incendiary rounds?

I would rather just leave them to get on with it, not worth the hassle.
Reply 11

That seems a rather arbitrary point to scale it to? After all, a rifle is usfl for hunting (even if a 100round magazine is a bit excessive) and te 2nd amendment is expressly for keeping the government in check, given the state of the government i almost sympathise with the militia wingnuts these days :lol:
Reply 12
Not really sure what's expected in a country with more guns in circulation than people. Every few years international media picks up a particularly tragic shooting and runs with it while Americans sit back unphased. Little ways it is an everyday part of life in the US from required monthly lockdown drills in schools to reading about the latest local firearm incident in the state paper each week.

Oh well, perhaps the local schools will panic and implement a fancy new technology such as the blackout curtains on the doors like they did after Stoneman Douglas in 2018 and the world will be up and running because the children are ( apparently ) safe, once again turning a blind eye to the issue.
The fundamental problem is you can't scale back the 2nd amendment when it has already gone this far. Would you want to be the one trying to take away someone's Barratt .50 BMG anti material rifle while they have it loaded up with armour piercing incendiary rounds?

The best they can do is to ban future sales and make resale of those weapons illegal. Of course the people who already have them now and want to keep them would just hide them the way criminals in the UK do if they were made illegal to possess so that wouldn’t really change much.

Original post by Napp
That seems a rather arbitrary point to scale it to? After all, a rifle is usfl for hunting (even if a 100round magazine is a bit excessive) and te 2nd amendment is expressly for keeping the government in check, given the state of the government i almost sympathise with the militia wingnuts these days :lol:

I think these days the chances of the 2nd amendment ever being used for its original purpose are almost nonexistent. The governments military spending is astronomical and the citizens are so divided they’d start killing each other within no time anyway. :laugh:
Me too. Both the Left and the Right jumping to conclusions. Same old, same old.
Reply 15

Original post by Napp
As diddy said, automatic weapons are incredibly hard to get ahold of,

This is just NRA pedantry. Semi and fully auto are almost identical in operation, and semis are capable of firing up to 180rpm.
They both automatically load a new round into the chamber after every shot, so both are automatic.
Reply 16

Why does anyone need a gun for "self defence"?
Studies show that people who keep a gun at home are four times more likely to be shot than those who do not, so you are actually much safer without one.
Reply 17

Indeed. The principle of "do not try to enforce a law that people might use violence to break" is a well-established and rational one.
Original post by QE2
This is just NRA pedantry. Semi and fully auto are almost identical in operation, and semis are capable of firing up to 180rpm.
They both automatically load a new round into the chamber after every shot, so both are automatic.

It isn't the early 1900's anymore where automatic meant rechambering automatically, that is an outdated term.
Reply 19
Original post by Napp
given the state of the government i almost sympathise with the militia wingnuts these days :lol:

So you've finally come out in support of the Jan 6 Insurrection.
Good for you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending