The Student Room Group

2nd year course change sfe

Hi,

I completed my first year of a 3 year biomedical science degree. I started my second year, but had to do interruption to studies due to personal circumstances. During this time I have considered my options after university, and wish to change courses for my return in september. I had been assured that this would not pose any issues with SFE if I were to return to start second year again in september.

I have spoken with my course lead etc and with uni it is not an issue, I am however concerned about whether I would get student finance for the course change? I would be changing to a 3 year BA social work degree.

This is my first degree, but I did do a 1 year access course to get entry into uni, which was student finance funded.

I will be phoning SFE re this, but I know that they are very busy at the moment.

Thank you
Rah
Original post by rahjay
Hi,

I completed my first year of a 3 year biomedical science degree. I started my second year, but had to do interruption to studies due to personal circumstances. During this time I have considered my options after university, and wish to change courses for my return in september. I had been assured that this would not pose any issues with SFE if I were to return to start second year again in september.

I have spoken with my course lead etc and with uni it is not an issue, I am however concerned about whether I would get student finance for the course change? I would be changing to a 3 year BA social work degree.

This is my first degree, but I did do a 1 year access course to get entry into uni, which was student finance funded.

I will be phoning SFE re this, but I know that they are very busy at the moment.

Thank you
Rah

Good Morning Rah,

You would be funded for this.

Warm Regards,

Shaun.
Reply 2
Original post by Shaun SFE
Good Morning Rah,

You would be funded for this.

Warm Regards,

Shaun.

Thank you.
Original post by rahjay
Thank you.

You're most welcome :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Shaun SFE
You're most welcome :smile:

Good morning again,
I think I have messed everything up. I didnt mention in my original post that i had to do an interruption to studies about 3 days after the cut off date for not having to pay anything for tuition. I was liable for 25% of my tuition and maintenance etc which is on my SFE account.

I have now applied for sfe funding to start the new course, but it says that I have to pay the tuition fees myself, but I am getting the full maintenance loan.

I totally understand that there is only a 1 year 'free pass' for sfe (the 3 years +1 etc where funding would be given), but I did think that if I did nt get full tuition fees, I may only have to pay some myself and the rest would go on finance.

From what I ve read I do not really think I have a strong enough case for re assessment; yes I did have some physical medical issues, but whilst awaiting a small procedure I had had tests that showed it wasnt a worst case scenario type condition; yes because of this I did struggle with anxiety that my doctor knew about; however, they did not have any idea that it was effecting me as much as it was. Plus I have since changed doctors, so the only notes the new doctors would have would be the general basics. So I doubt I would be reconsidered due to medical reasons. My university course lead was obviously aware that I had something medically wrong with me, but that this was compounded by a lot of other things in general that were just causing me too much stress (personal, family stuff) that I could not give my all to uni at the time. Again, I have looked on the SFE website and dont believe that this is something that would be cnsidered for reassessment.

I am able to fund myself for the tuition for the first year (i mean it really is not ideal, but it is possible). But my concern now is if I do self fund this year, will I be able to get sfe tuition funding for 2nd and third year? Apologies for rambling, but I m so worried about this.
Original post by rahjay
Good morning again,
I think I have messed everything up. I didnt mention in my original post that i had to do an interruption to studies about 3 days after the cut off date for not having to pay anything for tuition. I was liable for 25% of my tuition and maintenance etc which is on my SFE account.

I have now applied for sfe funding to start the new course, but it says that I have to pay the tuition fees myself, but I am getting the full maintenance loan.

I totally understand that there is only a 1 year 'free pass' for sfe (the 3 years +1 etc where funding would be given), but I did think that if I did nt get full tuition fees, I may only have to pay some myself and the rest would go on finance.

From what I ve read I do not really think I have a strong enough case for re assessment; yes I did have some physical medical issues, but whilst awaiting a small procedure I had had tests that showed it wasnt a worst case scenario type condition; yes because of this I did struggle with anxiety that my doctor knew about; however, they did not have any idea that it was effecting me as much as it was. Plus I have since changed doctors, so the only notes the new doctors would have would be the general basics. So I doubt I would be reconsidered due to medical reasons. My university course lead was obviously aware that I had something medically wrong with me, but that this was compounded by a lot of other things in general that were just causing me too much stress (personal, family stuff) that I could not give my all to uni at the time. Again, I have looked on the SFE website and dont believe that this is something that would be cnsidered for reassessment.

I am able to fund myself for the tuition for the first year (i mean it really is not ideal, but it is possible). But my concern now is if I do self fund this year, will I be able to get sfe tuition funding for 2nd and third year? Apologies for rambling, but I m so worried about this.

Hi, in your original post you said you only had 1 year of previous study at higher education level and 1 year of an Access to HE course.

If that information is correct then you should be funded for this course.
It sounds like you incorrectly added your access course into your application so the system thinks you have 2 years of previous study.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, in your original post you said you only had 1 year of previous study at higher education level and 1 year of an Access to HE course.

If that information is correct then you should be funded for this course.
It sounds like you incorrectly added your access course into your application so the system thinks you have 2 years of previous study.
Thanks, Isaac

i did start my second year at uni. i had every intention of completing second year. but then i had to do my interuption to studies due to my health issue etc. i was told by uni that it was about 3 days over my 14 days of starting when it would not be an issue, so sfe charged me 25%.
Reply 7
Original post by rahjay
i did start my second year at uni. i had every intention of completing second year. but then i had to do my interuption to studies due to my health issue etc. i was told by uni that it was about 3 days over my 14 days of starting when it would not be an issue, so sfe charged me 25%.

i believe that because of this, it is counted as 2 years of study. :-(
Original post by rahjay

Original post by rahjay
i believe that because of this, it is counted as 2 years of study. :-(

Yes that will be 2 years of study. You will need to have and provide evidence of Compelling Personal Reasons to be funded for the first year of the new course.

http://ow.ly/MsMM30pjjOm

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 9
Original post by SFE Isaac
Yes that will be 2 years of study. You will need to have and provide evidence of Compelling Personal Reasons to be funded for the first year of the new course.

http://ow.ly/MsMM30pjjOm

Thanks, Isaac

Thank you for your help
Original post by rahjay
Thank you for your help

You're welcome :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending