The Student Room Group

LGBTQ+ Q and A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi :smile:
Do you like Alice In Chains?
Original post by efeoghenemena
so we are discussing homosexulity in religious studies class on thursday, and its filled with 98 percent religious folk. I don't know what to do. because even when the teacher announced the the topic my classmates made rude comments and I am extremely triggerd. Even before the class, please help.

I think definitely have a conversation with the teacher. It is their role to prevent judgement and hate, and they should make sure to follow up on this. There may well be other people in the class who are questioning / closeted and also feel this way. Although to see queerness and religion together can be interesting (I am a bisexual Christian so it's something I'm into!), it's so important that the conversation remains respectful. :yep:
Original post by DiddyDec
How can one be bisexual and pansexual?

The meanings can vary from person to person - Bubbles can expand on this :yep:

From my understanding, bisexuality is attraction to more than one gender. For some people, it can mean attraction to only boys and girls, for others, it can mean any gender. The attraction within this can also vary - for example, there was a time when I was romantically attracted to boys but only sexually attracted to girls. :smile:

Pansexuality however, is generally seen as attraction regardless of gender. So it doesn't matter. I suppose in this way, because gender isn't important, love can be found in more than one gender. It depends on what the person identifies with :yep:
Original post by parmezanne
The meanings can vary from person to person - Bubbles can expand on this :yep:

From my understanding, bisexuality is attraction to more than one gender. For some people, it can mean attraction to only boys and girls, for others, it can mean any gender. The attraction within this can also vary - for example, there was a time when I was romantically attracted to boys but only sexually attracted to girls. :smile:

Pansexuality however, is generally seen as attraction regardless of gender. So it doesn't matter. I suppose in this way, because gender isn't important, love can be found in more than one gender. It depends on what the person identifies with :yep:

I know this is the common definition, but it gives me such a headache - what does "attraction regardless of gender" mean :tongue:
I had one person try to define it to me as "pansexuals don't think about the genitals of someone they're attracted to" which just seemed so bizarre, it's not like all the bisexuals are going around thinking "ah yes I like this person's genitals so much I'll date them" :biggrin:
/BTN random ranting over :rofl:
Original post by Garnettoi
I’ve never heard of this? Can you provide sources please?

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/new-law-requires-racial-ethnic-or-lgbt-67702/
How can one be bisexual and pansexual?

I don't believe they are synonymous but I shall await Bubbles.

I'm still not completely sure which I identify as and interchange them. Initially I identified as bi as I didn't know pan was a thing and then I identified as pan because I didn't know that bi didn't just have to mean 2 genders and can/does include transgender people. I believe that pan is more about the person than gender which I do identify but I think bi can be similar too. I think generally people can use the term(s) that they feel they fit/identify best with :smile:
Good question! :smile:

I think a lot of bisexual people have faced a lot of stereotypes and assumptions over the years. Whether it be questioning the validity of bisexuality based on your partner, or how it's neither 'fully gay' or 'fully straight' etc. I'm not yet out to anyone who is older than my generation (who would be more likely to question the validity of being able to like more than one gender I think), but I reckon I'll face the same situation when I do.

Just know that you don't have to prove anything to anyone. Even if you only date one gender for the rest of your life, doesn't make you any less bisexual. You know who you are and that's the most important thing. People might tell you to make your mind up, but it only comes out of a place of ignorance and misinformation about how stressful it can actually be to navigate your sexuality. :yep:

Bisexual people always have existed and they always will exist. :hugs:

Original post by becausethenight
I'm bi too, and I think that's something most bi people worry about or feel unfortunately :hugs:There can also be an attitude of "well if you're dating someone of the opposite sex you're basically straight" and vice versa which sucks (my parents are very much of this opinion).

The thing is that those people are idiots and they certainly don't know more about you than you do. It can be worth thinking about what you might say if you came out to someone and they reacted like that, and what your coping strategy would be? :smile:

Tysm for your replies! And they're so sweet!!! <3
My parents kinda think it's wrong to be LGBTQ+ (they're kinda like im not opposed to it but there's no way me or my children are:angry:) which is horrible and for a long time i thought i would just never talk about being bi ever. I told my older sister once, i was crying bc of lots of stress with school etc and generally felt bad bc i felt like i couldnt talk to anyone about it in case my parents found out...but yh i told her and it was the best thing i ever did. We dont talk about it online/over messages in case my parents see (shes at uni now) but occasionally she'll send me loads of rainbow emojis with a question mark to check im okay with everything to do with that .:biggrin:
Ngl, I literally have no clue why im posting this, ig I want to talk about it more and im doing that from the security of an anonymous post hahaha. Anyway, tysm for your messages x
I think definitely have a conversation with the teacher. It is their role to prevent judgement and hate, and they should make sure to follow up on this. There may well be other people in the class who are questioning / closeted and also feel this way. Although to see queerness and religion together can be interesting (I am a bisexual Christian so it's something I'm into!), it's so important that the conversation remains respectful. :yep:

thank youuu
Original post by becausethenight
That sucks :hugs:
I'm quite tempted to say just skip the class :tongue: If it would be safe for you to do so, could you talk to the teacher about feeling worried and ask about how they're planning to deal with students being rude? But ultimately you don't have to listen to abuse and if the easiest thing is to fake a stomachache and miss the class, why not.

I'm currently on my period so I can fake a cramp
Original post by Anonymous
Tysm for your replies! And they're so sweet!!! <3
My parents kinda think it's wrong to be LGBTQ+ (they're kinda like im not opposed to it but there's no way me or my children are:angry:) which is horrible and for a long time i thought i would just never talk about being bi ever. I told my older sister once, i was crying bc of lots of stress with school etc and generally felt bad bc i felt like i couldnt talk to anyone about it in case my parents found out...but yh i told her and it was the best thing i ever did. We dont talk about it online/over messages in case my parents see (shes at uni now) but occasionally she'll send me loads of rainbow emojis with a question mark to check im okay with everything to do with that .:biggrin:
Ngl, I literally have no clue why im posting this, ig I want to talk about it more and im doing that from the security of an anonymous post hahaha. Anyway, tysm for your messages x

I'm so glad we could help :hugs:

I'm happy you felt comfortable enough to tell your sister - I'm also not out to my parents but I've definitely dropped hints to all my family members. It's lovely you have that relationship with her and I wish you the best of luck for whatever you choose to do in the future!

We created this outlet so people like yourself could find support, I'm so happy it's served it's purpose for you! :smile:

Oh well that is rather silly should just be based on merit
Just wondering, is (trigger warning) shemale, an acctual condition or somethin
Original post by j-dulas

Intersex folks exist but I think calling someone a shemale would be regarded as offensive tbh
Cuz, there is a word sexually ambiuous im wonderin if thats the same thing
Original post by j-dulas
Cuz, there is a word sexually ambiuous im wonderin if thats the same thing

I would wager that all intersex folk would want to be called by their name :wink: if you’re referring to an intersex person non directly then I would just say intersex
Original post by j-dulas

S****** is practically always used as a slur and certainly isn’t a medical term.
Around 1-2% of the population is intersex in some way, either by having chromosomal abnormalities or genitalia/hormone profiles that don’t fit our ideas of typically male or female. The medical terminology used is “intersex” or the name of their specific condition (eg Kleinfelter’s). Many intersex people don’t identify as trans, part of the LGBT community, or having a medical condition though.
What does gender envy feel like?

I identify as female, and I kinda wish I didn’t have breasts? I just,,,feel detached from it. I’m in a weird space of questioning my sexuality as well, so it’s all a bit confusing lol

I identify as female, and I kinda wish I didn’t have breasts? I just,,,feel detached from it. I’m in a weird space of questioning my sexuality as well, so it’s all a bit confusing lol

I'm sorry that you're in a bit of a muddle right now :frown: but you've come to the right place for some advice and support! I'm going to pass this one onto @becausethenight @Stiff Little Fingers and @sinfonietta who will have more experience with gender identity than me. :yep:

In terms of your sexuality, what are you finding particularly confusing? I spent an entire year questioning mine so I might be of some help to you if you could expand a little more, if you're comfortable to of course :smile:

Hey,

I can't speak about this from the point of view of someone who isn't Cis, but I'm a cis woman and I very much wish I had a more androgynous body type- I think we are so bombarded with images of certain types of bodies, particularly in terms of "high fashion" that it can be normal to dislike or not feel comfortable with certain aspects of "female" bodies.

It's not quite the same thing, as I wouldn't want to not have breasts at all, but I'd like them to be much smaller, and to not really have hips etc etc.

Breasts can be uncomfortable, cause back pain, you have to buy special bras to exercise and it's just a whole thing.

I just wanted to offer the perspective that not being comfortable with all aspects of your body as woman doesn't necessarily mean you're not cis. Although, of course, it might.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending